Pacific Star opinions for younger adults

krazy1

Hi all,

Myself and a few friends are booked for the Pacific Star in January and was just curious as to whether a few blokes in their 20's would enjoy it?

I have a helluva lot of questions I could ask but im curious on the following:

* Would the cruise be fun enough for younger adults? Enough to do?

* What do you think the main age groups would be around January time? Is there normally more females than males?

* Leaving from Brisbane, do u find that most of the ppl are from Queensland or other places too like Sydney, Melbourne etc?

* What are the outside cabins like for 4 people?

* Is there a nightclub on this boat?

* Has anyone done this particular cruise which takes in the Whitsundays, Cairns, Port Douglas and Willis Island? Do u get enough time at these places and is the embark and disembark times close to what they will actually be? For Cairns I think, it says we leave at like 2-3am, quite strange?

Any other good opinions, things to mention for us guys would be appreciative! And to keep us out of trouble!! ;)

Hi crazy1. I am sure you and your friends would enjoy yourselves...

that time of the year if it is school holidays there would be a few children on board, and it is the "wet season".

yes .. there is a nightclub.

I have done that particular cruise and there is plenty of time in port. the reason the ship leaves at odd times in Cairns depends on the tide I think.

have a great time.

:) :) :) :)

Hi Krazy1!

* Would the cruise be fun enough for younger adults? Enough to do?

I am sure you could find enough to do. There are a lot of activities offered such as trivia, crafty things, bingo (not for grans - a blast) plenty of bars, often have sports specials eg they might show a history or f1 racing or something also usually have a few passenger/crew challenges such as water polo.

* What do you think the main age groups would be around January time? Is there normally more females than males?

Couldn't answer of the f/m ratio. On our Feb cruise there certainly were plenty of youngters (geriatric 35y/o I am). There were a few groups travelling together. I don't think you would feel like you were the only people for that age group.

* Leaving from Brisbane, do u find that most of the ppl are from Queensland or other places too like Sydney, Melbourne etc?

Still think you would get a mix of people from various places. We have travelled up once already for the Star and I am off again in a month.

* What are the outside cabins like for 4 people?

Is ok, can get a bit cramped, but usually you are only sleeping changing. We have only ever had 3 adults and a child.

* Is there a nightclub on this boat?

I think Starlight lounge is classified as the nightclub. Casablanca bar was always packed. We only went up to Starlight for the parties, such as pj and country and western.

* Has anyone done this particular cruise which takes in the Whitsundays, Cairns, Port Douglas and Willis Island? Do u get enough time at these places and is the embark and disembark times close to what they will actually be? For Cairns I think, it says we leave at like 2-3am, quite strange?

Haven't done this one so can't specifically comment. You usually have to be onboard around 1 hour before departure. The reason you leave Cairns so late is that it would only take a very short time to get to Port Douglas and so it allows a long stopover and arrive in PD first thing in the morning.

Any other good opinions, things to mention for us guys would be appreciative! And to keep us out of trouble!!

Don't drink too much and remember your cabin number!!! :D

Leaving from Brisbane, do u find that most of the ppl are from Queensland or other places too like Sydney, Melbourne etc?

Normally cruises out of Brisbane tend to have a higher proportion of Queenslanders, that's been my experience on the two cruises I've done from Queensland. However they have both been cruises to the Islands of the South Pacific. I would say a Queensland Coastal cruise would probably attract a larger mix of the other states, because it's not a cruise you can do from Sydney, and most Queenslanders probably wouldn't want to just sail up the coast.

By the way the call at Willis Island is just that - a call. You won't actually be getting off the ship there. It's bascially a technical stop because Willis Island isn't part of Australia (it's one of the islands excised from Australia by the govt in an attempt to crack down on illegal immigrants). The coastal cruise calls there so that it counts as the ship leaving Australia for duty free and tax purposes (both for the passengers and for the company for food purchases etc) and I believe it also has something to do with the ship being registered in a foreign port - technically it must leave Australian waters.

Thanks for all your quick help guys! Cheers.

By the way the call at Willis Island is just that - a call. You won't actually be getting off the ship there. It's bascially a technical stop because Willis Island isn't part of Australia (it's one of the islands excised from Australia by the govt in an attempt to crack down on illegal immigrants). The coastal cruise calls there so that it counts as the ship leaving Australia for duty free and tax purposes (both for the passengers and for the company for food purchases etc) and I believe it also has something to do with the ship being registered in a foreign port - technically it must leave Australian waters.

I have actually been very confused by this matter so funny you mention it!

Each time ive called P&O I have asked, do I need a passport for this cruise, and they always have said no but after reading the terms and conditions in the brochure, it says something about duty free being available on cruises going to Willis Island so im thinking how does it all work?

So does this mean just like if I was going on a cruise to the South Pacific, for example if I bought a $350 camera b4 going away, that on this QLD cruise, I can get my tax back just as if I were going overseas? Of course I would need to of bought it 30 days before travelling and keep an invoice.

Does it mean there is also duty free on the boat during that period only coz yeah its only listed as being at that island for 30mins-1 hour.

Thanks for all your quick help guys! Cheers.

I have actually been very confused by this matter so funny you mention it!

Each time ive called P&O I have asked, do I need a passport for this cruise, and they always have said no but after reading the terms and conditions in the brochure, it says something about duty free being available on cruises going to Willis Island so im thinking how does it all work?

So does this mean just like if I was going on a cruise to the South Pacific, for example if I bought a $350 camera b4 going away, that on this QLD cruise, I can get my tax back just as if I were going overseas? Of course I would need to of bought it 30 days before travelling and keep an invoice.

Does it mean there is also duty free on the boat during that period only coz yeah its only listed as being at that island for 30mins-1 hour.

Not really sure how it works. I understand that you don't need your passport, because you aren't actually leaving the ship anywhere that isn't Australian territory. I believe duty free is available, when we sailed in March the cruise immediately before ours was a costal one and I saw people coming of the ship with duty free alcohol boxes.

I think it's only the 3nighters and the Melbourne Cup Cruise that there is no duty free for sale on board, and apparently a lot of the other shops are closed too.

I'm not sure about the tax refunds on the coastal cruises that go to Willis Island. As Aussiedisneyfan says, there have been others on this board who have done the coastal cruises - they might be able to help.

Cheers again guys :)

Can you tell me anything else about the Pacific Star or P&O Cruises in general?

Can you take alcohol on the boat? Just like say one bottle? Is there a bottle shop on board? Haha were not drunk yobbos but I like to drink my own kinda stuff only.

With these formal nights, do the fellas actually need formal/business shirt AND tie?

What are the theme nights like and what do they normally have?

We have requested a table of 8 for dining in the second sitting at 8pm as was told there would more likely be a lot of children at the first sitting and that at the 2nd dining, ppl usually head off to the bars and etc from there. Do u think they will put us with a similar group of people for the dining? I think for us it would be better just incase one of us guys lets out a swear word and offends someone but we asked for 8 bcoz we dont wanna be outsiders, we would like to mingle with all people :)

Can you take alcohol on the boat? Just like say one bottle? Is there a bottle shop on board? Haha were not drunk yobbos but I like to drink my own kinda stuff only.

No, you can't take any alochol onboard. All cases and carry on luggage are x-rayed and any alcohol will be confiscated and returned at the end of the cruise. All alcohol must be purchased from the bars on board. Only bottles you can buy is wine in the restuarants - all other drinks are by the glass/stubbie/can. Duty free alcohol purchased on board or at foreign ports cannot be opened until after disembarkation back in Australia.

With these formal nights, do the fellas actually need formal/business shirt AND tie?

Business Shirt & Tie will be enough. You don't have to go overboard, but a bit of effort is good and adds to the feel of the evening. It's great to see everyone done up.

We have requested a table of 8 for dining in the second sitting at 8pm as was told there would more likely be a lot of children at the first sitting and that at the 2nd dining, ppl usually head off to the bars and etc from there. Do u think they will put us with a similar group of people for the dining? I think for us it would be better just incase one of us guys lets out a swear word and offends someone but we asked for 8 bcoz we dont wanna be outsiders, we would like to mingle with all people :)

They'll normally seat you with a similar group, in age or whatever. I've noticed they'll tend to put groups of guys travelling together with groups of girls travelling together...........

Kym

Cheers again guys :)

Can you tell me anything else about the Pacific Star or P&O Cruises in general?

:)

As long as you aren't going on Pacific Star expecting 5 star luxury (it's not the QE2), you will have a wonderful time on Pacific Star. It's certainly fit's into P&O's "fun ship" image.

Be prepared for the crew to be fairly firm on issues around security and personal behaviour, with the spotlight firmly on them at the moment they are keen to keep things as much under control as they can without trying to spoil people's holidays.

You'll have a nice relaxing time and visit some wonderful tropical ports.

Kym

As long as you aren't going on Pacific Star expecting 5 star luxury (it's not the QE2), you will have a wonderful time on Pacific Star. It's certainly fit's into P&O's "fun ship" image.

Be prepared for the crew to be fairly firm on issues around security and personal behaviour, with the spotlight firmly on them at the moment they are keen to keep things as much under control as they can without trying to spoil people's holidays.

You'll have a nice relaxing time and visit some wonderful tropical ports.

Kym

Thanks Kym :)

I am sure when they especially see the 'younger' ones get on board, they will keep an eye on us. Were not troublemakers at all, never been in fights or anything like that but being from European backgrounds, I think naturally we are quite loud with our words and actions hehe so we might have to down it a bit, especially at night ;)

Business Shirt & Tie will be enough. You don't have to go overboard, but a bit of effort is good and adds to the feel of the evening. It's great to see everyone done up.

Yes definitely. I said to my friends, were not gonna be bums and look crap, it will be awesome to see everyone dressed up including us. I cant wait for that night actually. A bit of class :)

sorry if this has been posted already.

as we are doing the same cruise (just at different times) this is what p&o and my TA have told me so far,

because no one actually sets foot on international soil, you do not need a passport, but because they drop anchor at willis island (coral sea = international waters) it is considered as stopping at a foreign port meaning duty free is available.

also from what i have been told, the tropical north qld cruise is popular for this reason (no passport but still have duty free shopping) and it is sometimes called a shopping cruise.

Originally Posted by aussiedisneyfan

Don't drink too much and remember your cabin number!!! :D

such good advice

take care,

sam

What i may recommend is what i wore to the formal night on mine, collar shirt and suit jacket. that was because i didnt and still dont own a formal(ish) suit.

they didnt mind about what i wore, and they didnt seem to stop people from entering the dining room who wernt dressed formally (dont know if that is a word)

sorry if this has been posted already.

as we are doing the same cruise (just at different times) this is what p&o and my TA have told me so far,

because no one actually sets foot on international soil, you do not need a passport, but because they drop anchor at willis island (coral sea = international waters) it is considered as stopping at a foreign port meaning duty free is available.

also from what i have been told, the tropical north qld cruise is popular for this reason (no passport but still have duty free shopping) and it is sometimes called a shopping cruise.

sam

Star-Man, please do report back when u come back from that cruise.

I promise when I come back from mine Ill post a review on the Tropical QLD cruise from a youngsters (hooligans) perspective :p

Well thats good I got that cleared up now. Wouldnt it be a bit crazy though with everyone at the duty free as it lists us as staying around Willis Island for 30 mins only I think!

What I still would like to gather though, is what about getting the tax back on goods you have bought in the 30 days prior to cruising bcoz if it says its doing duty free then you SHOULD be able to. Im looking into buying a new digital camera or video camera and new MP3 player or maybe even laptop so would be handy to know as id like to buy these things this month even but if im getting 10% back at the cruise, I will wait.

Yeah it may be quite warm, especially around the Great Barrier Reef, to be wearing a tie.

Does anyone have any photos of the Pacific Star rooms, ammenities and etc? I checked out the photos from tgard76 I think it was and they were tops. I havent seen enough photos, I hate travel brochures and even internet accomodation booking sites, they show the same photos and not enough of them. Id love to work full time going around the hotels, apartments, resorts and cruises in Australia and taking DECENT photos of accommodation and ammenties, and a lot of photos at that!

I think i will get in with the hooligan perspective first :D, my cruise is pretty much for schoolies for me and my friends.

The cruise personaliser for me shows the ship arriving at willis island at 9am and leaving at 10am, but i will have to check what the deal is about duty free on board with my TA soon.

It would be handy if you can claim the tax back on stuff you buy 30 days before hand, as im buying myself a rather expensive camera in november and some equally expensive equipment for it (lenses etc)

i will have to check and see if i have any pics of our room, i should have some floating around but i cant remember. also what is your room number?

take care,

sam

I think i will get in with the hooligan perspective first :D, my cruise is pretty much for schoolies for me and my friends.

The cruise personaliser for me shows the ship arriving at willis island at 9am and leaving at 10am, but i will have to check what the deal is about duty free on board with my TA soon.

It would be handy if you can claim the tax back on stuff you buy 30 days before hand, as im buying myself a rather expensive camera in november and some equally expensive equipment for it (lenses etc)

i will have to check and see if i have any pics of our room, i should have some floating around but i cant remember. also what is your room number?

take care,

sam

Ahhh, your a schoolie, dude have a lot of fun! Just dont go too far, ive heard from other ppl stories of there being a lockup at the bottom of the boat and they wont be afraid to put you down there over night if ur in a fight or way too rude or loud, especially with all thats happened lately being in the media a lot.

I called P&O today regarding duty free as I booked mine direct with them.

You can only buy duty free during that stage of the trip at Willis Island. There apparently may not be as MUCH on offer compared to full international water cruises and you cannot pre-purchase or plan what u want to buy.

I asked about the GST refund scheme, and apparently NO, you cannot get it because you will not be actually disembarking in international areas. So I guess I wont be waiting until December to buy a new camera for the January cruise.

How do you have pics of your room??

Dont know my room number as yet. Do you? Its an outside room on one of the higher levels and we have requested a mid ship placed room as it doesnt get too rocky in the middle :D

that does kind of suck for the duty free stuff. oh well, the camera store is giving me a great deal on it anyway:cool:

all of the rooms are pretty much identical. all inside rooms are basically the same, the same thing goes for outside rooms and suites. the only differences are the orrientation of the rooms, number of beds and usually the picture hanging on the wall (if an inside twin or 4 berth)

we booked at first for the cheapest room possible, an inside room on the lowest deck, but since they have been readvertising my particular cruise for a cheaper rate, they have moved us up to Baja deck and to an outside room (6081). a very nice upgrade for no extra charge :D

have you checked your cruise personaliser off the p&o website for your room?

that does kind of suck for the duty free stuff. oh well, the camera store is giving me a great deal on it anyway:cool:

all of the rooms are pretty much identical. all inside rooms are basically the same, the same thing goes for outside rooms and suites. the only differences are the orrientation of the rooms, number of beds and usually the picture hanging on the wall (if an inside twin or 4 berth)

we booked at first for the cheapest room possible, an inside room on the lowest deck, but since they have been readvertising my particular cruise for a cheaper rate, they have moved us up to Baja deck and to an outside room (6081). a very nice upgrade for no extra charge :D

have you checked your cruise personaliser off the p&o website for your room?

Yeah the rooms would be all very much the same. Ive noticed with the photo/virtual tour on the P&O site of the 4 berth outside room its funny, coz u have 2 beds together and then the third basically right there too on the ground and then the 4th bed is up high above them all so if the person on that bed falls off a single bed which none of us are used to, they will come down crashing on top of one of us poor souls in the middle of the night! And with a few drinks in the system I can definitely see it now from my group of mates!

Cruise personaliser still dont say anything. I asked them on the phone and they said that will happen at a later date. Were on Aloha level outside room, the most expensive room b4 a mini suite in which I was so tempted but some of the guys couldnt afford it!

Archived