Sydney & Auckland Info

We're from Los Angeles and booked a November cruise out of Sydney but will have 2 days in Sydney pre-cruise and then flying to Auckland for 3 days post-cruise and am looking for recommendations on hotels close to the pier in Sydney (not sure which pier but we're going on the Sun Princess) and things to do in both cities.

Any information / recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

We're from Los Angeles and booked a November cruise out of Sydney but will have 2 days in Sydney pre-cruise and then flying to Auckland for 3 days post-cruise and am looking for recommendations on hotels close to the pier in Sydney (not sure which pier but we're going on the Sun Princess) and things to do in both cities.

Any information / recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Most likely going to be using the OPT which is right at Circular Quay (Harbour Bridge and the Opera House). Try wotif or booking dot com for accommodation and pick something in the CBD that is walking distance. There is lots to do so perhaps list some of your interests and we can help.:D

Can't help you as far as Auckland goes but for Sydney it is terribly important to know which terminal you will be leaving from. The White Bay terminal is very difficult to get to and from and I fear that the Sun Princess will leave from there. If you are leaving from from the Overseas Passenger Terminal a handy (only 5 minutes walk away) hotel is the Holiday Inn Old Sydney in George Street at The Rocks. It is quite reasonably priced for a Sydney hotel. Even though we live in Sydney, my wife and I have stayed there pre-cruise a couple of times and have found it good and very close to the terminal.

If White Bay is where you are leaving from you could still stay at this hotel as it is quite handy to everything in Sydney being at Circular Quay. A taxi ride to White Bay would probably be around $30/40.:)

I'm guessing you're going on the 11th November cruise (as the other Nov cruise goes to NZ so wouldn't think you'd fly back there after just being there). The 11/11 cruise leaves from OPT, which is very fortunate for you.

The 21 Nov cruise leaves from White Bay though.

Just had a look again at your original post. As far as things to see in Sydney, presuming you have not been to Sydney before and keeping in mind you only have a couple of days I would use one day just wandering around the city, The Rocks, Darling Harbour, Hyde Park etc.

The seond day I would consider a Harbour Bridge Climb - fantastic but fairly expensive, then I would take a ferry ride over to Manly. At that time of the year you could have a swim in the Beach at Manly then return by ferry again to the City. At that time of the year the weather is starting to warm up. Hope you have a great time - we think we have a great city.:)

The white bay terminal is not as handily located, but it wouldn't make a big difference in where you would stay.:D

Possibly not, but the question was about hotels close to the pier.

The issue with White Bay is there aren't any hotels really close. One of the closest hotels to it would be the Star City Hotel. They may want to consider hotels around Darling Harbour instead of the city proper (or even the Rocks) if leaving from White Bay.

We like to explore, sightsee and do "local" things.

This will be the first time that either of us have been to Australia or New Zealand so we are looking forward to it.

Yes we are on the Nov 11th sailing so if you guys know what pier we leave from that would be helpful as well.

I've just looked up a couple of web-sites and they list your cruise as departing from the Overseas Passenger Terminal at Circular Quay - That is good news for you. I understand that this can change but doesn't happen all that often. I think I would check with Princess a month or so before you leave just to make sure.:)

I was born and grew up in Auckland and now have lived in Sydney for over 25 years. Try going to Taronga zoo if you can, can catch ferry from circular quay or the aquarium and wildlife world at darling harbour.

In Auckland take the ferry to Devonport, beautiful old world charm. Parnell is great for shopping but expensive, my favourite is Sylvia park which you can get to by train. Rotorua is the heart of Maori culture and thermal activity and about a three hour drive from Auckland or if your brave a day trip to the Coromandels, roads very windy though.

Enjoy

Archived