Rental car drop off at POM?

KCMiller

We're arriving Thursday evening into FLL for a Saturday cruise out of POM, so we thought about renting a car at the airport to tour around the area on Friday, then drive to the port on Saturday morning. Has anyone done this? We usually rent from National, but I'd really like to drop the car off at the port, so we can shuttle from the rental agency to the ship.

thanks in advance,

KC

National, Alamo, Thrifty and Enterprise offer free shuttles between their MIA airport location and POM.

Hertz, Avis and others have locations scattered around downtown Miami - close to POM; if they do not offer a shuttle you can taxi to the port for about $13 or Uber for under $10.

Be aware that most downtown Miami and Miami Beach hotels charge guests $25-30/night for parking -- you might consider not having the rental and just relying on Uber/Lyft and taxis.

National, Alamo, Thrifty and Enterprise offer free shuttles between their MIA airport location and POM.

Hertz, Avis and others have locations scattered around downtown Miami - close to POM; if they do not offer a shuttle you can taxi to the port for about $13 or Uber for under $10.

Be aware that most downtown Miami and Miami Beach hotels charge guests $25-30/night for parking -- you might consider not having the rental and just relying on Uber/Lyft and taxis.

Hertz & Avis have free shuttles to the ship from their POM drop off area.

We're arriving Thursday evening into FLL for a Saturday cruise out of POM, so we thought about renting a car at the airport to tour around the area on Friday, then drive to the port on Saturday morning. Has anyone done this? We usually rent from National, but I'd really like to drop the car off at the port, so we can shuttle from the rental agency to the ship.

thanks in advance,

KC

You may want to check out how much a rental & return to FLL is compared to renting at FLL & dropping off at POM. For $15.00 per person, you can take a shuttle from FLL to POM. I use ridesas.com

There are no rental car drop offs directly at the Port Of Miami. If you rent from Alamo,National, Enterprise, Dollar, and Thifty and rent from the MIA Rental Car Center which is located directly across from Miami International Airport you would actually return the rental vehicle to the same location. You then hop on the free shuttle for transportation to the Port Of Miami. If you rent from Avis, Hertz, or Budget you can return the rental vehicle to the downtown Miami locations that are relatively close to the Port Of Miami. I have read numerous posts over the years from other Cruise Critic posters who give conflicting reports if the downtown Miami locations provide free shuttle service to the Port Of Miami. If there is no free shuttle service a cab or Uber would be relatively inexpensive. At the conclusion of your cruise and need a rental vehicle Alamo, National, Enterprise, Dollar, and Thifty provide free shuttle service from the Port Of Miami back to the MIA Rental Car Center. Some drivers will ask to see your rental car reservation paperwork before they allow you to enter there shuttle. That is done because many cruise passengers are looking for free transportation back to MIA. I have personally used this service numerous times since I got hooked on cruising way back in 1983 and have never had a problem going in either direction.

There are no rental car drop offs directly at the Port Of Miami. If you rent from Alamo,National, Enterprise, Dollar, and Thifty and rent from the MIA Rental Car Center which is located directly across from Miami International Airport you would actually return the rental vehicle to the same location. You then hop on the free shuttle for transportation to the Port Of Miami. If you rent from Avis, Hertz, or Budget you can return the rental vehicle to the downtown Miami locations that are relatively close to the Port Of Miami. I have read numerous posts over the years from other Cruise Critic posters who give conflicting reports if the downtown Miami locations provide free shuttle service to the Port Of Miami. If there is no free shuttle service a cab or Uber would be relatively inexpensive. At the conclusion of your cruise and need a rental vehicle Alamo, National, Enterprise, Dollar, and Thifty provide free shuttle service from the Port Of Miami back to the MIA Rental Car Center. Some drivers will ask to see your rental car reservation paperwork before they allow you to enter there shuttle. That is done because many cruise passengers are looking for free transportation back to MIA. I have personally used this service numerous times since I got hooked on cruising way back in 1983 and have never had a problem going in either direction.

I fly on Southwest, they only fly into FLL not MIA so I do my car rentals from FLL & return to car to a location near the POM. The POM returns have free shuttles that take you to your ship. If upon returning, you want to rent a car by the POM, they will pick you up at the ship for free, & take you to the rental office. Renting from the POM area requires a reservation in advance so the know how many cars they need. I have personally rented from Hertz and Budget, this does work.