Anguilla...has anyone visited from St. Marten?

SusieQT

We aren't traveling for a year, but have been to St. Marten several times. An thinking about taking the ferry to Anguilla. We would potentially be a larger group, at the very least DH, I and our kids who will be 8 & 6, maybe 4 more adults and an infant (11 months old or so). We are laid back beach people.

Any tips, etc? Would be willing to pay for a room at a resort, etc. Open to all suggestions.

THANKS!

It really depends upon how long your ship is in port, BUT:

Consider this: You've got to get off the ship, collect your group, board (pre-arranged) transportation, cross the island, purchase tickets and board the ferry, include transit time, clear customs on the Anguilla side (make sure that you have your passports!), hire a cab or van, get to a beach or resort, spend your 'relaxing time' and then reverse the operation.

I'd leave an Anguilla visit (or St. Barth's, or Saba) for a time that I'm spending some time on-island, not for a day's visit on a cruise.

gary

We are in port from 8 am to 11pm. We are well-seasoned travellers, when we port at St. Thomas we always go to St. John. St. John is our point of reference for fabulous beaches, and St. Martin (both sides) just don't do it for us.

If we don't go to Anguilla, we will probably stay on ship.

We are planning on going to Anguilla next week, on Jan 15. We are on Sea Dream and have been to St Martin/Maarten many times, as you have, so we just want to do something else. We are tendering into Marigot, so we just have to walk a short distance to hop on the ferry to Anguilla. Since you don't depart until 11:00 pm you might be able to make it work. As I'm sure you know, St Martin traffic can be awful, so you never know how long it will take to get back to Phillipsburg, if that is where you are docked.

I'll let you know about our experience when we return!

We are planning on going to Anguilla next week, on Jan 15. We are on Sea Dream and have been to St Martin/Maarten many times, as you have, so we just want to do something else. We are tendering into Marigot, so we just have to walk a short distance to hop on the ferry to Anguilla. Since you don't depart until 11:00 pm you might be able to make it work. As I'm sure you know, St Martin traffic can be awful, so you never know how long it will take to get back to Phillipsburg, if that is where you are docked.

I'll let you know about our experience when we return!

Thank you. We will be on the Solstice so I am sure we are on the Philipsburg side. I can't imagine that we would stay on Anguilla much past 4, we go next January, so it won't be daylight too late.

We are in port from 8 am to 11pm. We are well-seasoned travellers, when we port at St. Thomas we always go to St. John. St. John is our point of reference for fabulous beaches, and St. Martin (both sides) just don't do it for us.

If we don't go to Anguilla, we will probably stay on ship.

Being in port for the entire day like that, I think that you COULD make it work. I'll stand with my earlier comments, but you could do it.

Instead of Anguilla, have you considered a day on one of St. Maarten's less frequented beaches? Plum Bay for solitude, Baie Rouge for a quiet beach, but with some services? Friar's, Happy Bay, etc.?

gary

• 2 weeks later...

Susie, with that much time in port you can definately do a day trip to Anguilla. If you are beach people you NEED to get over to Anguilla.:D Shoal Bay is quite honestly the sweetest stretch of beach we have ever seen and we vacation on St John.

Anguilla is flat and you don't get the island views in the distance like St John but as far as sand and water quality go WOW!!! You'll love it. We hung out at Uncle Ernies, just tell the taxi driver Uncle Ernie's at Shoal Bay and he'll get you there. Seems to me the cab ride was about 15-20 minutes each way.

Ferry service starts at 9:00am and runs every hour out of Marigot. At least that was the schedule last February. Ferry ride was about 1/2 hour each way and ran $10/pp each way. I believe these numbers to be right but ole Uncle Ernie makes a mean Rum Punch so I'm going on partial memory here.:D

With an 11:00pm departure, you would even have time for dinner in Marigot before heading back to the ship. Lots of restaurants within walking distance of the dock. But as Gary said: DON"T FORGET YOUR PASSPORTS!!!

This wont be a cheap day trip, especially with many in your group but personally I think it is worth it, especially if you're into beaches.

One word of warning re: the post above. There are two Shoal Bays on Anguilla. The recommendation to go to Uncle Earnie's points you to Shoal Bay East. On Shoal Bay West, there is a great view of St. Martin across the channel, and it also has some services available. It's also closer to the ferry.

You have plenty of time to do research on both (all of the) beaches. Here's a poplular website to get you started.

gary

A daytrip to Anguilla is definitely worth the effort. Public ferry is $15 each way. You might also inquire as to a private charter, particularly given the size of your group. There are many, many fine beaches on Anguilla, but Shoal Bay East should be your first stop.

By the way, Bob Green's website is outdated. Try www.anguillaguide.com.

Archived