rough seas in Baltic???

toppot

We are considering the July 9 Navigator cruise from Copenhagen through the Baltic. We have traveled on RSSC previously and love it. A friend is thinking about traveling with us, and is very afraid of becoming seasick. Can anyone advise about the weather in the Baltic, and precautions for seasickness?

Thanks,

Terri

We were on a Baltic cruise in late May and early June of last year and had smooth seas. Of course there are never any guarantees. We have used the wrist bands for motion sickness in the past and they have worked for us. Also getting a cabin on one of the lower decks, midship is a good place for someone who is prone to seasickness.

I agree with English Voyager on cabin mid-ship and lower decks. I am very sea-sick prone. On my Baltics cruise (it was on the Navigator), the only time I remember feeling the sea was on a "sea day" in the Gulf of Finland coming down from dinner at Portofino. Sort of felt like I'd had three martini's with the movement on the ship. Other than that, nothing to report. NEVER felt much movement in my cabin, which was low and mid-ship. This is a great cruise, not to be missed! They will give you meds at the desk for seasickness prevention! I also wear the wrist bands, have no idea whether they work or not, but I put them on!

I swear by Bonine, available over the counter. But try it out first at home. The recommended dose is about four times what I need. It's always best to check with one's doctor.

I find that about half a Bonine tablet, taken at bedtime, is all I need each 24 hours. And I only need it the first couple of days, no matter how frolicsome the seas. Then I get my sea legs and am fine. I also find it works best to start it about two days before the cruise starts. Your milage may vary.

MarnaLou

• 2 weeks later...

We spent a day circling outside the St. Petersburg ship channel on the Noordam 3 or 4 years ago. The seas didn't feel to rough to us, but the wind was high and the channel narrow, so they were not letting any ships in or out. Finally got in around 6 so made it to the evening tour to to Ysapov (sp?)Palace, but never did get to see the Hermitage!

We cruised the Baltics in July. My husband gets motion sickness - but he was fine. We packed perscription patches, OTC motion sickness pills, candied ginger, ginger snap cookies, etc. (All recommended on these boards). We didn't use any of them - although the cookies were good with a cup of tea! Our cabin was mid ship and low. I agree with the other posters that that is the way to go.

It is a great trip and I am sure you will enjoy it.

Have fun planning!

Don't forget about Ginger Root.

Availible in capsules at drug stores, GNC and places like that.

People who are learning how to fly sometimes have problems with air sickness.

It is fine to take dramimean (sp) and things like that until it is time for you to solo. Then you can not take drugs.

Well they found that ginger root worked just as well and even better for some than taking drugs.

My wife uses it for all of our cruises and it works wonderful

We did the trip last summer at the end of July, beginning of August. Very smooth sailing the entire way and very hot!! Our friend is prone to extreme

seasickness and he was absolutely fine the whole trip.. Enjoy!!

Don't forget about Ginger Root.

Availible in capsules at drug stores, GNC and places like that.

People who are learning how to fly sometimes have problems with air sickness.

It is fine to take dramimean (sp) and things like that until it is time for you to solo. Then you can not take drugs.

Well they found that ginger root worked just as well and even better for some than taking drugs.

My wife uses it for all of our cruises and it works wonderful

NASA has tested Ginger Root has found it better than any over the counter drugs. I read about in a small scuba newsletter called Undercurrents as I recall.

Remember the old wifes tale, got an unset stomach drink GINGER Ale.... ;)

Archived