Day trip to Capri?

We are spending a week post-cruise in Rome and I was wondering if it would be feasible to do a day trip to Capri from Rome? I thought about taking the train from Rome to Naples and then taking the hydrofoil to Capri. I have two sons ages 11 and 14 the time of the trip. Would this be doable?

I think it's physically possible, but might be too much to do in one day and still enjoy it. The train ride from Rome to Naples will take about two hours each way, and then you have to factor in the ferry ride, and probably some time spent waiting for the ferry on each end. Not all ferries are hydrofoils, so you might have a slower ride one way or have to wait longer for a hydrofoil.

Capri is lovely, but it may appeal more to you than to your sons. If I was considering this for myself, all the travelling and waiting time would tire me out just thinking about it. JMO - you and your boys might be made of sterner stuff!

Lisa

Well, I did that with my class when I was a high school student and it was a great day. Yet, it was very long (maybe something like 5am to 11pm) and organised with bus transfer and so on. I would probably not do it nowadays or with family.

When we docked at Naples last year we went over to Capri on the ferry and had a fantastic day. I agree trying to do this from Rome would be very tiring, I am visiting Rome during May and have been recommended to look at viator.com which seems to be a good site for pre-arranged excursions.

I say go for it, Capri is fabulous. Get up early, hop on a train (might be quicker to train down to Sorrento and then take the ferry over to Capri, it is a shorter trip than from Naples) and then get on a hydrofoil over to Capri. Take the funicular up to Anacapri for wonderful views a wander through the narrow streets and maybe a bite to eat. If you and your boys like swimming hire one of the boats for a wonderful afternoon on the water, the prices are negotiable for 1/2 day rentals and vary considerably. We did this last year and had a blast with our teenage nephews (13,14). The boats are very comfortable and the local captains are a font of knowledge and very proud of their island. They stopped in two coves for us to swim in the beautiful clear water surrounded by lots of fabulous boats. We swam "through" the green grotto and the kids got a big kick out of the phosphorescence. If you have time they will stop at the Blue Grotto where you can transfer into small boats to be rowed inside. All in all it was a great day and I think it would be a shame to miss Capri....here is a link for Capri that will give you the ferry times.

www.capri.net

Granted it will be a long day but I think if you incorporate some boating and swimming the boys will enjoy it as much as you will. Had some FAB pizza at a place with yellow awnings almost a the end of the crescent shapped harbour on the left as you exit the ferry.

Perhaps the best way to answer the OP is with facts. Yes, you can do Rome to Capri and back in a day. It will be a long day, and not cheap for a family of 4. There is excellent train service between Rome and Naples and the jouney time varies from abou 1:30 to 3:00 depending on the type train. The fastest is the ES train which also requires advance reservations but would be fun for the kids since its a very fast train. You could catch the 7:25 and be in Naples before 9. Than you just take a taxi from the station over to the pier (less than 10 min) and catch the next available hydrofoil to Capri (a 50 minute ride). On the return, you can leave as late as you want (there is another fast ES train at about 6 pm) and be back in Rome for a late dinner. Of course you could opt for one of the slower trains (the IC takes about 2 hours) and save a few dollars.

Hank

Hello, I will be coming to Capri on a shore excursion with a cruise ship. I know we have some free time in Capri , and was wondering for those who have been there how long it usually takes to visit the Blue Grotto. My cousin and I would really love to fit it in. If any one has any suggestions I would really appreciate them.

Thanks,

Theresa

The Blue Grotto is one of those real tourist traps that everyone has to experience just so they can say they went to a real tourist trap. Actually, its a lot of fun..if not overpriced. You need to understand that the Blue Grotto is not always open due to tides and wind..and you will not know its open until you actually get to Capri. When we went last year (it was our 4th trip to Capri and we finally decided to go to the "tourist trap") it took about 1 1/2 hours. You have to take a motor boat from the pier that is right next to the hydrofoil pier (on your left as you walk towards land) and that boat will take you along the coast (great views) to the grotto entrance. Once you reach the grotto, you will have to wait your turn, and than you will be transferred (while on the water) into the small boats (no more than 8 or 10 per boat). You must than pay again (you already paid to get to the Grotto) giving the money to a cashier in another boat, and than your guide rows you into the Grotto (might be another wait depending on how crowded) where you spend a few minutes while your guide sings a song (or at least its supposed to sound like a song). You than are rowed back out, transfer back to your larger boat and head back to the pier. Of course your small boat guide will grovel for tips (our guy would not let us off the boat until we tipped) and the large boat driver also likes to be tipped. I must honestly say that after doing this tour last year, everyone in our boat laughed all the way back to Marina Grande (the pier). Why did we laugh? Because we all knew we had been ripped-off to see this attraction, but we were all glad we took the trip. Having said all this, I know we will continue to return to Capri whenever we spend a few days on the Amalfi Coast, but I also know we will never return to the Blue Grotto (unless we have to take Grandchildren). Now I will add my wife's comments (she is yelling across the room). Her opinion is that she would go there again if it were free, but for the $60 it cost us she would tell the world DON'T GO!

Hank

The Blue Grotto is one of those real tourist traps that everyone has to experience just so they can say they went to a real tourist trap. Actually, its a lot of fun..if not overpriced. You need to understand that the Blue Grotto is not always open due to tides and wind..and you will not know its open until you actually get to Capri. When we went last year (it was our 4th trip to Capri and we finally decided to go to the "tourist trap") it took about 1 1/2 hours. You have to take a motor boat from the pier that is right next to the hydrofoil pier (on your left as you walk towards land) and that boat will take you along the coast (great views) to the grotto entrance. Once you reach the grotto, you will have to wait your turn, and than you will be transferred (while on the water) into the small boats (no more than 8 or 10 per boat). You must than pay again (you already paid to get to the Grotto) giving the money to a cashier in another boat, and than your guide rows you into the Grotto (might be another wait depending on how crowded) where you spend a few minutes while your guide sings a song (or at least its supposed to sound like a song). You than are rowed back out, transfer back to your larger boat and head back to the pier. Of course your small boat guide will grovel for tips (our guy would not let us off the boat until we tipped) and the large boat driver also likes to be tipped. I must honestly say that after doing this tour last year, everyone in our boat laughed all the way back to Marina Grande (the pier). Why did we laugh? Because we all knew we had been ripped-off to see this attraction, but we were all glad we took the trip. Having said all this, I know we will continue to return to Capri whenever we spend a few days on the Amalfi Coast, but I also know we will never return to the Blue Grotto (unless we have to take Grandchildren). Now I will add my wife's comments (she is yelling across the room). Her opinion is that she would go there again if it were free, but for the $60 it cost us she would tell the world DON'T GO!

Hank

Thanks for the info, I have to admit if time allows I too will probably make the visit to the tourist trap, and spend the money just to say I did it. Thanks again

Actually, if given a choice I would personally opt for the chair lift from Anacapri up to the top of Monte Solaro. This is not for anyone afraid of heights but its a fun excursion that will afford you an incredible view of the island and sea. To do this trip you need to first get to Anacapri which can be done by using the cheap local bus from Capri or taking a taxi. When you arrive at Anacapri the chair lift is right in the middle of the small town and it consists of single chairs (these are the open kind where your legs dangle). The chair lift takes about 15 minutes to get you to the top, and you will see some farms, fields, flowers, etc etc literally pass beneath your feet. You could not do this in rain or in high winds. At the top of Mt Solero there is a chair lift station with restrooms and a snack bar..where you can take a break before reversing course. Another benefit of this little excursion is that you also get to see the residential village of Anacapri where they also have a few cafes.

Hank

Hi,

My friend and I were in Rome last year on a land tour. She wanted to see the Amalfi coast and so we decided to go for it. We had a late start. We got on the train to Naples from Rome at about 10:30am. It took about two hours to get to Naples. We then took a train to Sorrento and then caught a bus to the Amalfi coast. We got off the bus in Positano so we could catch the last train back to Rome. The only thing I would caution about is catching the last train. It was delayed and we did not get back to Rome until about 1am.

We are about 60 years old. I had never heard of the Amalfi Coast so we were not prepared. I think it is doable and I would not trade the experience. However next time I would be far more prepared. If I had known she wanted to do this I would have been researching on this forum. Good Luck.

Viator has a day tour to Capri and the Blue Grotto. You can check the tour description on Viator.com.

It seems pricey but we are retired and definately out of touch. Our kids went to the movies last night and came home saying it was $16.50 for two tickets and $9 for one medium popcorn and one drink. Is the world going crazy? I know, that info has nothing to do with this subject but to point out that EVERYTHING is costly these days.

Anyway....you can check it out and perhaps compare the cost of doing it on your own or with a tour group. Good luck.

One more thing. If it were me and I decided to do the tour, I think I would wait untill I got to Rome to know the weather prediction for the day I wanted to go. The day we took the tour to Pompeii - and others went to Capri - was a little rainy and I think that would really put a damper on a whirlwind trip to Capri. The Viator (or Greenline Tours) office near Termini station would be easy to find and you would at least have a good idea of what the weather planned to do.

• 1 month later...
Thanks for the info, I have to admit if time allows I too will probably make the visit to the tourist trap, and spend the money just to say I did it. Thanks again
We just returned (my husband says he's not doing it again because everyone in the boat ended up laying on him--LOL!), so here are current prices. 10 Euros per person for the big boat to take you around from the harbor to the other area of the island. 5 Euros per person for your row boat to go into the Blue Grotto. 2 Euros per person tip to the row boat driver. There were some boat trips that go around the island and include the Blue Grotto, but the first one left at 10:30, which was over an hour after our departure for the Blue Grotto. I think the price for that boat ride was 15 Euros. I think one of those boat tours of the entire island would have been nice, but I wouldn't have traded that time in the villages of Capri and definitely not in Anicapri (the chairlift ride was amazing), so we'll have to do the extended boat tour "next time".

Have a great trip,

Donna

two years ago we stayed in Rome, took a tour to Capri and Anacapri, went to the Blue Grotto and Sorrento. It was an easy tour, left early from Rome, and we enjoyed all of it-were back in Rome that evening. We found the tour brochure through our hotel

Definitely go for it. I have been to Capri many times and love it. The last time I took my kids we did a day trip to Capri. We hired a driver who took us to Sorrento and we caught the boat from there. In the many times I have been there I have never bothered with the Blue Grotto, but the kids would probably enjoy it. If not Capri, you cold easily do a day trip to Pompeii. In fact, if I recall we did Pompeii and Capri in the same day, but we did have a driver.

anyone goin to capri should note that the hydrofoil can get VERY unstable and more often thatn not, people who get seasick very easily should take something. i am not particularrly seasisck but even i had trouble keeping my stomach contents stable on this thing.

other than that, i really recommend the funicular and chairlift to mount solare.

oh and you just HAVE to try the nocciola(hazelnut) ice cream in the cafe on the cliff in anacapri.

xx

Archived