Celebrity ShoreEx: Moscow or St. Petersburg

njguy_south

Hi, I know there are many private companies doing tours, but has anyone taken either of the following through Celebrity, and what do you think?

1. St. Petersburg 2-Day Exclusive Tour -- Small Group

How small was the group? What did you think of the two restaurants? (Do you remember the names?)

2. Journey to Moscow by High Speed Train

How long was the train ride? (Each way?) And was the train comfortable? Was there much to see in the country to Moscow? Do you think the long day was work it?

I have visited St. Petersburg before, and loved it. I thought that perhaps Moscow might be nice, but seems far for a day trip. (I do realize I cannot do both of the above trips, but your answers will help me to decide.)

Hi, I know there are many private companies doing tours, but has anyone taken either of the following through Celebrity, and what do you think?

1. St. Petersburg 2-Day Exclusive Tour -- Small Group

How small was the group? What did you think of the two restaurants? (Do you remember the names?)

2. Journey to Moscow by High Speed Train

How long was the train ride? (Each way?) And was the train comfortable? Was there much to see in the country to Moscow? Do you think the long day was work it?

I have visited St. Petersburg before, and loved it. I thought that perhaps Moscow might be nice, but seems far for a day trip. (I do realize I cannot do both of the above trips, but your answers will help me to decide.)

Since you've been to St. P before I wouldn't recommend the 2 day tour. We were there for 2nd time past Spring and friend who was a first timer did the 2 day tour. She said it was wonderful, and she certainly saw all the high spots, but she was exhausted and it's not cheap. Our first time in St. Pete (4 days) we did not go inside Church on Spilled Blood or St Isaac's so signed up for the X tour of both churches. It was fabulous! If you haven't been inside both churches, they are exquisite and as a bonus we also visited the beautiful Sailor's Church, which is still an active church, and as a bonus walked in on a Baptism!

As for Moscow by high speed train...we've been to Moscow twice as well and I cannot in good conscience recommend a one day tour to someone who's never been there. It's just not enough time. Since you've been to St. Pete before let me put it this way: If you had been to Moscow before would you take a high speed train to visit St. Pete for one day? Furthermore, you will not be spending most of the day in Moscow. EG: Berlin....we docked in Warnemunde and took the full day trip to Berlin for 9 hours....here's how it broke down: 3 hours by bus to Berlin, 1 hour for lunch and 3 hours back to ship. That left 2 hours to actually tour Berlin. Tour was wonderful but Berlin is nowhere near as big as Moscow. The scenary between the 2 cities is mostly farm land and small towns....quaint but nothing to get excited about and since we traveled between the 2 cities by river boat, I cannot say how long the train ride is but I would bet it's at least 3 hours each way. Go on line and research things like the length of the train ride from St. P to Moscow and THEN decide whether or not the time left is worth the money. But I can tell you this: we spent 1 full day just touring the Kremlin.

I did the Moscow tour this year and thought it was well worth the long day. Did it alone as my wife thought a day aboard at the spa was better. About 4 hours each way but train was very comfortable. The scenery was interesting but not overly beautiful. Although more time is needed to see Moscow, the tours provided gave a great sampling. I would do it again.

OP

You can't see Moscow in less than a day. It would even be difficult to see every site within the Kremlin in one day.

When is your trip because the crowds are heavy during the cruising season...very heavy.

An alternative would be a tailored tour of St. Petersburg. Because I had been there before on a land trip I worked with SPB tours to tailor an itinerary that included a number of sites I had not experienced during my previous 6 days there. That included the interior of several sites we drove by on the land tour. I did take into consideration the desires of the group we formed on our Cruise Critic Roll Call. We were on Azamara with three port days and I think everyone was satisfied. I know I was pleased.

Any of the recommended tour operators should be more than happy to tailor an itinerary for you. I certainly do not recommend a ship's tour. Bus passengers are herded through every palace, church and site amidst the already existing tourists. Also, in some venues the busses do not have close access so long walks in the heat of July and August should be anticipated.

Save Moscow for another trip and give it at least five to six busy days.

OP

Save Moscow for another trip and give it at least five to six busy days.

Absolutely agree. We were in Moscow twice for 3 full days each time and I mean full....we even did a Moscow by night tour and the Ballet! But there are so many places outside the city that were spectacular too.

And to the OP: High speed train from St. P to Moscow is 4 hours each way....so 8 hours of your 1 day trip is going to be on a train! :eek: