Thinking of Bucharest-Budapest Cruise

pj20

Any recommendations on cruise line? We are thinking of sailing Viking Sept 2019.

Did anyone do this cruise in the fall of 2017?

Many thanks for your feedback.

''

We did this on Viking last June. I highly recommend it. The scenery is spectacular, especially going through the Iron Gate in Serbia. We tried to get on the Viking precruise extension to Transylvania. When we couldn't I found a highly rated guide on Trip Advisor. Our three days in Transylvania were fantastic and we went many places a big bus could not have gone. Our boutique hotel was right across from the square in Brasov in a building that dated from the 1200s. Bucharest is so so but we didn't get to go to Old Town...long story. Bulgaria had wonderful scenery as well in the included excursions. Hungary was wonderful. We spent an extra day there and toured on our own in addition to the days we were there with Viking.

How do you deal with all the different currencies in Eastern Europe? Does the line offer currency exchange?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

''

Since we were spending extra days in Romania and Hungary, I ordered their currency from our bank....had never done that before. I was glad I'd done that. Later we needed more Romanian currency but could not use our ATM card (had told our bank but the ATMs we saw only took credit cards and we didn't bring our pin number) We changed US dollars for Romanian in a bank. One's dollars or euros go a long way in both Romania and Hungary. Never got Serbian, Croatian, or Bulgarian currency. Did have euros as we took a second Viking cruise which continued on to Passau. Our Romanian guide requested to be paid in euros.

• 2 weeks later...

We did this cruise a few years ago with Viking - and quite enjoyed it. We started in Bucharest, and were pleased with that decision as we started in the "have not" area, and could appreciate the economic recovery that was evident as we sailed towards Budapest. We had a night in Bucharest before our tour the next day --> visiting the Palace of the People, an open air museum and then enjoying a lunch and local entertainment. We boarded the boat in Georgiu, Romania. It was a 12 day tour.

We are doing this itinerary again later this year - with Avalon. However, we get to Transylvania (Bran Castle, overnight in Brasov, then Peles Castle - before heading back to Bucharest) on this trip. Our included city tour in Bucharest doesn't duplicate our Viking trip - so expect to see more of the city. With Transylvania, the tour is 14 days.

With Avalon, we board the boat in Fetesti - and do get to Constanta and the Black Sea. So - we will get to Km 0. While many of the stops are the same, Avalon offers options for the stops - so, our only duplicate excursion will be in Belgrade. When we were there before, it was Sunday - and many of the shops were closed. And, the weather was very hot (even at the end of April) so I spent a quiet afternoon on the boat.

Budapest is one of our favourite cities in Europe - so am looking forward to going back. If you have an opportunity, I would suggest extending there --> so much to see and do.

I know that Avalon has their dates/prices out for 2019 --> might be worth looking at to compare.

Fran

Interesting to read this- we leave for Budapest on April 2, sailing on UniWorld down to Bucharest (well, actually to Giurgiu) with an extra time in Romania at the end. We have booked a 4 day trip through Transylvania and a couple of days in Istanbul on the way home. Wish it were going to be a bit warmer- I wasn't expecting the rather deep chill that seems to be everyplace in Europe- in some places over the next two weeks downright cold. Glad to adjust our expectations of the stops along the way.

While I am positive that many people had great experiences with Viking doing this cruise, I would hesitate to book this cruise this early if you are based in the States. If you are traveling in September of 2019, Viking is going to want your entire payment far in advance of that date. Check out the other lines first, and if the dates and class of service suits you, book another line. If the dates of the Viking cruise are best and you don't mind extending Viking an interest free loan, than book with them. I would check out Emerald and Avalon as they are roughly the same quality as Viking.

This is not meant to be an indictment of Viking's quality, but more to comment on their absurd payment policy.

While I am positive that many people had great experiences with Viking doing this cruise, I would hesitate to book this cruise this early if you are based in the States. If you are traveling in September of 2019, Viking is going to want your entire payment far in advance of that date. Check out the other lines first, and if the dates and class of service suits you, book another line. If the dates of the Viking cruise are best and you don't mind extending Viking an interest free loan, than book with them. I would check out Emerald and Avalon as they are roughly the same quality as Viking.

This is not meant to be an indictment of Viking's quality, but more to comment on their absurd payment policy.

My experience (with Viking Ocean) and many reports on Cruise Critic are that all you have to do is ask and Viking will adjust final payment to six months from sail date. Still not quite as short as other lines, but much better than the posted rule.