Scuba in GT

kandlwed

Hi,

Has anyone been Scuba diving in GT in the past few months? How do things look? We have never had a dive there, wondering how it compares. Also, has anyone used the company Princess books through their cruiseline?

Thank you! :-)

• 1 month later...

I haven't been since the hurricane blew thru there, but I haven't read anything that would make me think the diving conditions are totally destroyed. I'm sure there was some damage to the shallow areas, but the wall is probably pretty much intact.

All the cruise lines use http://www.oasisdivers.com/ They have a special pontoon boat they use for the cruise excursion dives. They can take up to 24 divers who will be divided up in groups.

I personally prefer a smaller boat and to be allowed to do my own dive. I went with Blue Water Divers and recommend them.

Bruce- I checked with Blue Water Divers and they said they would have us back to shore @ 5:30. We need to be back on the ship @ 6:30. Would ya do it????;)

Tried to sign up with Ship's Excursion but have been waitlisted, though if we're going out in a group of 24 people thinking they can just leave us waitlisted.:eek:

Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.:)

Bruce- I checked with Blue Water Divers and they said they would have us back to shore @ 5:30. We need to be back on the ship @ 6:30. Would ya do it????;)
Yes, I would. I think you'll be back earlier than 5:30, but it would depend on what time you start.

Yes, I would. I think you'll be back earlier than 5:30, but it would depend on what time you start.

Thank you sir, I think we'll do it and hope for the best. Would leave @ 2:30 and my understanding is that the 'Wall" is only about 500 yards off shore so very short boat ride. Bigger concern would be getting back to cruise terminal from Dive Shop.

Thank you sir, I think we'll do it and hope for the best. Would leave @ 2:30 and my understanding is that the 'Wall" is only about 500 yards off shore so very short boat ride. Bigger concern would be getting back to cruise terminal from Dive Shop.

Yup, 5 minute boat ride to the wall. About 45 min. for the first dive, about an hour surface interval, then up to an hour for the second, shallower dive. They nice lady at the dive shop should be able to call a taxi for you for the ride back to the cruise dock.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello, I appreciate your help thus far. I'm curious though about the average depths of the dives. I know it all depends on the dive location, but I'm just trying to get an average idea of the depths of the reefs/walls.

You can go as deep on the wall as you are comfortable (within reason) and you are unlikely to reach the bottom. The top of the wall will vary between 45 and 60 ft.

• 7 months later...

My son and I would like to go diving. We actually have the excursion reserved through Emerald Princess. I cannot get much information from them regarding the dive however.

Do pretty much all the 2-tank dives do the wall? My son is limited to 60 ft since he is 12. From your previous post it sounds like that would be ok? We would just need to watch our depth at the wall, right?

Thanks for your advice.

My son and I would like to go diving. We actually have the excursion reserved through Emerald Princess. I cannot get much information from them regarding the dive however.

Do pretty much all the 2-tank dives do the wall? My son is limited to 60 ft since he is 12. From your previous post it sounds like that would be ok? We would just need to watch our depth at the wall, right?

Thanks for your advice.

Just make sure you let the DM know in advance that you want to remain within your son's depth limit. I think it shouldn't be a problem staying above 60 ft.

You can also try and contact Oasis Divers and see if you can get any information from them since they are the contract dive operator.

• 2 weeks later...

My DH and I are booked on the 11/22 Westerdam and have signed up for the Discover Scuba in Grand Turk.

Any one have any information about this excursion?

We have both done SNuba several times and are looking forward to progressing to the next level.

• 2 weeks later...

Grr. For some reason Princess moved us to the waitlist instead of confirmed for the dive in Grand Turk. I wrote Oasis and Bluewater to see if we could book a dive on our own.

Do you have any other recommendations regarding possible dive shops for an afternoon 2-tank dive? We are in port from 1-7. Thanks.

Grr. For some reason Princess moved us to the waitlist instead of confirmed for the dive in Grand Turk. I wrote Oasis and Bluewater to see if we could book a dive on our own.

Do you have any other recommendations regarding possible dive shops for an afternoon 2-tank dive? We are in port from 1-7. Thanks.

You probably won't be able to book with Oasis anyway since they are the contract dive operator the ship uses. They refer cruisers back to the ship's excursion desk, even if the the ship's excursion is fully booked.

Archived