Just another reason not to fly US Air

greatam

I am sure most have you have heard about the Mexican national that has crossed the border 76 times in the last couple of years with a very dangerous form of TB.

Now it has been revealed the man was on both Delta and US Airways flights in Nov. 2006, January 2007 and May 2007. The US Airways flights were into Phoenix. I quit flying US completely in June 2007 (long story, but they royally s**** me). However, I was on US Air flights INTO Phoenix in November 2006, January 2007, and May 2007. But US Air is keeping mum on which flights this gentleman was on. Could it have been my flights out of LAX???? Sure it could. Or could it have been on YOUR flight to wherever??? Sure.

To NOT report what flights were impacted by this gentleman's presence speaks of total corporate irresponsibility. I don't know if I was exposed to TB. But I am going to get a TB test (which is now rampant in Phoenix). By releasing the information on which flights were impacted, I wouldn't be taking up precious health care resources nor would I even be posting this. Passenger privacy-BS. The media has already released the passenger's name. Talk about an airline practicing CYA to the MAX. I believe it is TOTALLY IRRESPONSIBLE on the part of US Airways (Delta too, but I haven't been on a Delta plane since 2002, so really have no say).

Here is an excerpt from the story:

"The foreign national "flew in the U.S. on Delta Airlines to Atlanta and Salt Lake City, he flew on US Air/Am West to Phoenix. No specific dates were provided just that these flights were in Nov. 2006, Jan. 2007 and May 2007," according to documents obtained by The Washington Times.

Both airlines were asked whether and when they were informed by Homeland Security or CDC officials that the infected foreign national had been a passenger on recent flights or of the possible contamination risks to fellow passengers.

US Airways and Delta Air Lines both declined to answer, citing passenger privacy issues."

Wow. That's abysmal.

Last year when the 'assassin' after Alexander Litvinenko was found to have travelled on several BA flights to and from Moscow all passengers were contacted and said aircraft withdrawn from service for a short period of time.

Wow. That's abysmal.

Last year when the 'assassin' after Alexander Litvinenko was found to have travelled on several BA flights to and from Moscow all passengers were contacted and said aircraft withdrawn from service for a short period of time.

The way it should have been handled.

I have contacted US Air (in Phoenix-general offices) and they are releasing NO information, even if you were a pax on possible "suspect" flights. When I called, I had a list of flights I took in the months concerned and they would neither confirm or deny if the infected passenger was on any of my flights. It was just released by the media that the father and sister of this pax DIED of the same type of TB.

I KNEW I quit flying US Air for a reason. Doug Parker has turned US Air/Am West into a shining example of corporate IRRESPONSIBILITY. Have another drink at the Bird's Nest, Doug!!!

It would be a good idea for you to get a TB test. Unfortunately, TB is on the rise again. Please note though, if you result in a positive TB test, it does not mean that you have or are going to get TB. It just means that you have been exposed to the germ.

Once a person has a positive TB test they should not get tested again, because the test will continue to show positive. And because TB is rearing it's ugly head again (and has been for quite some time), it will be difficult to determine where any possible exposure came from.

Good Luck,

Mary

It would be a good idea for you to get a TB test. Unfortunately, TB is on the rise again. Please note though, if you result in a positive TB test, it does not mean that you have or are going to get TB. It just means that you have been exposed to the germ.

Once a person has a positive TB test they should not get tested again, because the test will continue to show positive. And because TB is rearing it's ugly head again (and has been for quite some time), it will be difficult to determine where any possible exposure came from.

Good Luck,

Mary

Thanks for the advice. TB has been making the news a lot in Phoenix recently. It has risen to almost epidemic proportions. Can we just say that the evidence points South of the Border???

There is TB and then there is drug resistant TB. My great grandmother had TB as a teenager (1886) and lived to be 97. They sent everyone in the USA to Colorado then-thin, clean air and resin from pine trees seemed to help. Don't think a ski trip will help in this day and age.

I know I will never know where the exposure came from (could have been Home Depot, WalMart or a US Air flight), but I certainly wouldn't be thinking about it in the least IF US Air would just release the flight numbers that the infected pax flew on. Really irresponsible that they will not release the flight numbers, even to pax who were on US Air flights INTO Phoenix in the noted months and can prove it.

Thanks again for the advice and comfort. I am not scared of contracting TB (Valley Fever is more a worry in Arizona and just as deadly). I am just really po'd that US Air is almost forcing me to get a TB test, when there is a HUGE possibility that I don't need it.

. I quit flying US completely in June 2007 (long story, but they royally s**** me). However, I was on US Air flights INTO Phoenix in November 2006, January 2007, and May 2007."

Are you going to tell us what happened (besides the TB person)?

I have had very good customer service with US Airways. Some of my issues I have had, had more to do with the alliance partner having us booked to the wrong place, but I prefer their shuttle over Delta. I have actually used AirTran the most this year as I can't beat direct flights to visit my family when I often get tickets for $59.00 each way.

Are you going to tell us what happened (besides the TB person)?

I have had very good customer service with US Airways. Some of my issues I have had, had more to do with the alliance partner having us booked to the wrong place, but I prefer their shuttle over Delta. I have actually used AirTran the most this year as I can't beat direct flights to visit my family when I often get tickets for $59.00 each way.

This is what happened-taken partially from another post.

So tried US Air. First thing-had multiple problems with their website trying to book a simple nonstop flight. I had to call web services-another experience in frustration. By this time, I had spent 2 hours just trying to book the flight. And they billed my credit card twice for the same flight. Another hour to straighten that out with the bank.

Then get to Sky Harbor. Already done web check in, paid the tip and checked my luggage curbside. Terminal 4 was a madhouse. Waited in line for 47 minutes and TSA closed the line I was standing in. Moved me over to another line and I missed my flight (I was at the airport at 3:15PM for a 4:47 flight). Didn't make it to Reno until almost 10:00PM, when I should have been in Reno at 6:00PM. US REFUSED to put me on the plane that went to Las Vegas, where I could have gotten on the Reno flight and made it to Reno by 8:00PM. Said the connection was too close (yes, it was, but LAS is pretty small and I was willing to take the chance, KNOWING I would have to pay for my own accommodations IF I missed the connection)

Coming back-Arrived at the airport at 11:50AM. My flight did not leave until 3:39PM. I asked if I could possibly get on the 12:33PM flight. Agent said yes, tagged my luggage for 12:33 flight and I RAN to the gate. Gate agent would not let me board-I did not have a new boarding pass, just my web check in paper for the 3:39 flight. I begged, I pleaded (I almost pulled a Paris Hilton). NO< NO< NO. My luggage made the 12:33 flight, I did not. Then when I got to PHX last night, I spent over an hour searching for my suitcase, with US Air agents telling me "it couldn't have been on the 12:33 flight" and me showing them the tag which read 12:33. Finally got out of the airport about 7:00PM (almost 1.5 hours after the plane landed).

I know it's the hometown airline (the "mess in Mesa", per the Arizona Republic) and we should support it. But NO MORE for me.

Sorry this was so long. But I have just had it with US Air. Yes, on some routes they are cheaper, sometimes MUCH cheaper. And for me, the nonstops to NYC would be a blessing (I fly to NYC out of PHX at least 6 times per year). But I'll stick with AA. They have treated me well, even when there is a problem.

Yes, on some routes they are cheaper, sometimes MUCH cheaper.

As John Ruskin wrote: “There is nothing in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man's lawful prey.”

Archived