Cartagena info

Toots

We stopped in Cartagena on our TransAtlantic last fall, docking was at the center of town and at a main road.

These are my notes on what we did there:

As we exited the dock, we turned left and crossed the street to catch the open air tourist bus - 4 euros per person. It was a quick trip around the outskirts of the city and back to the port.

Afterwards, we walked up the street (to right of the port), turned left at the first corner, and continued walking toward a freestanding metal elevator; we paid admission (don't remember how much) and took the elevator up to the see the castle at top (it looked more like a very small fort); from there we could see across the way the old Bull Ring that was built over the Roman gladiator arena. After looking through the castle, we walked down on the opposite side of the hill, past an ancient open air theatre, ending up in the shopping area of town. After looking through the shops and a refreshment stop, we continued walking south and back to waterfront and ship—just one big circle and a very easy walk.

Thanks for the info - it sounds easy enough and we like to do our own thing. Coincidentally, DH is just now talking to our friends Bill and Kim in The Villages. They recently moved there from California and love it.

• 3 weeks later...
We also went to Cartagena and I would suggest a tour of the port waters in the Barca Turistica. It was even more interesting than the rest because that is where Cartagena's history is.

What does this tour consist of?

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the postings, we will be taking a transatlantic and want to see Cartagena on our own---the castle , the town hall, the wall, and old town with shops......and we are interested in the maritime tour as well. I went to the website, but it didn't tell me where we need to go to find it.....I amthinking that this port is easily navigable by foot, and we all like to walk. Suggestions? Thanks, D

Now that we've been to Cartagena, I can tell you it's easy to walk the town, climb up the hill to the fort/castle for a great view, and see the many old forts on surrounding mountain tops. We found the round outdoor elevator to the fort, but it looked a bit scary so we didn't take it and walked instead. Roman ruins and excavations around every turn. Walking down the small side streets, we found a neat artisan gift shop with local crafts, many other stores, great gelato, plenty of outdoor cafes, friendly helpful people. Don't know about the maritime tour but it would probably be interesting in this small, protected harbor.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived