Check out the cool thing we did in Progreso!

If you are looking for something totally awesome to do in Progreso then you have to get in touch with Sharon Helgason. She is a retired nurse from Canada and lives in Progreso now. She has started a program with 2 local schools, and also runs a food bank there. Well this is what we did...

We took the free bus off the ship to where we where let out at the open air market. (that's where everyone gets out) that is where we met up with Sharon, we then took a public bus to one of the schools. We had gathered school supplies and donations to take to the school, which we stuffed in to backpacks that we all wore off the ship. the ride was really interesting also, this gave us time to talk and get to know the village and some cool stuff about the people that live there. The bus ride was only about 10-15 minutes. Once we got to the school we were able to look around and meet the students. They were sooo happy to have visitors they were all smiles. They did a song for us that was super sweet. The kids there are trying to learn English and it was fun to work with them a bit. My Daughter (13) was with us. For her to see how lucky she is to have all the things we have in America is priceless!! After we spent some time there we then got a walking tour of the village. We got to see how they live first hand. Then off to the "REAL" Mexican market. We bought a few things (very good deals) and got a cold Horchata and Jamaica drink. My Daughter just loves it. Horchata reminds me of a sweet rice milk... I know it doesn't sound good but it really is.. After we rested for a few minutes she then took us back to the market where we had plenty of time to shop and hang out. Sharon has her website up and running so here it is if you would like to check it out. www.chixfoodbank.com Also you can ask me any questions... here are some pictures.... I hope I've never posted pics before.

PICT1657.jpg.ff13163e57e553fddc69735fdc72727f.jpg

2077528130_CruiseProgreso2009023.jpg.86777528b3ca253d61de421b2c8c9efd.jpg

54488820_CruiseProgreso2009035.jpg.aebcd8727e29a8b13eceda5abbbe5f41.jpg

802407381_CruiseProgreso2009039.jpg.aa37ffeba005620e9dbe60f040fb4f9d.jpg

2136902850_CruiseProgreso2009040.jpg.0c2e1c0aab805a1284a4b4d714117f41.jpg

Your experience sounds wonderful. My 21 year old daughter and I are already booked to go to Progreso next May and this sounds like something we might like to contribute to since we are both in the teaching profession. We are also going to visit some Mayan ruins while in Progreso. We would like to donate supplies but probably won't have the time to actually visit the school. Do you kow if there is a way to do this?

Yes you can. If you e-mail Sharon she can meet you at the port to pick up the supplies.. It's such a good feeling to know you are making a difference in these kids lives... Sharon could also give you some tips about the Ruins.... Good luck and let me know how it goes.. if you have any more questions please ask...

Angie

Hello...we are also from Missouri....we are going to progreso in December and was kinda curious about your school visit...I had read on here about someone who had done the same thing, only it was the school in progreso...thought that might be something we could do and still have time to do a beach day..anyway, was wondering if you were limited to a certain time frame as far as when you could return to progreso?? and exactly how did you return ( you stated Sharon took you back )...was it by bus or car and if it was the bus, how often do they run?? we are interested in doing this, but not sure we want it to take up the entire day....kinda might depend on the weather...also, what type of school supplies did they need?? Doug & Sheri :)

This sounds like it was a wonderful learning experience for you daughter. Acutally, I'd say a good learning experience for us all!!! THanks for passing along the information....what all did you take? Is there anything specific that they can use more than something else? I think I will go check out the website myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it really was a great thing to do...

We each carried a back pack full of supplies.

pencils, pens, paper, crayons, markers, rulers, etc.

then we jus left it all at the school.....

I figures the teachers could pass it out.. the only thing

I wish I would have brought was some kind of suckers or

hard candy. I think the kids would have liked that, or even

some small rubber balls.. something fun for them. Sharon

took us back to the port shops by a van like thing... she

paid him so I'm not really sure, but the van was not like a

taxi, it was for the locals... cool,,, no really HOT no AC... :)

• 1 month later...

We got to meet Sharon while in Progresso but we didn't get to go to the xchool. Hopefully next time. I really liked Progresso and enjoyed the double decker bus. I wonder if the tour guide on the bus was correct that a person can rent a house or apartment for somewhere around $200 a month. I would love to spend more time in Progresso and make it to Merida to see what's in that area.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

When in September are you going? We just booked for the last week of September, and I'm going to write to Sharon. Our kids have booked for the ruins, but want to send supplies, too.

• 4 weeks later...

We will be in Progreso on a cruise ship in November and want to visit the school and donate. My son plans to do his Eagle Scout Project by gathering things that are needed and bringing them to the school. I have contacted Sharon through the website but I have not gotten a response yet. Do you know if she has a direct email? Thanks.

Thanks, Crazy About Critters! I got in touch with Sharon. We will be visiting the school in November. I found out we can only take one backpack each, so my son will have to do something else for his Eagle Scout project. We are really looking forward to helping the people in Progreso.

• 2 weeks later...

Be careful taking stuff off the ship. Before going on the Conquest in 2005 I collected backpacks and school supplies for a school in Cozumel. Packed it all in a box and planned to carry it off the ship and drop it at Paradise Beach. As I was debarking one of the security officers asked what I had in the box - I told him school supplies. He told me I would have to turn it in to the pursers desk and they would arrange for it to be delivered. They told me it would violate something or another if I walked through security on the pier with the box. So I told them I would take it back to the cabin. When I got back to the cabin I was ticked because I wanted to deliver it - so I opened the box and shoved everything into the 2 largest backpacks and walked through security with one on each shoulder.

So try not to be obvious.

Archived