Question about Crystal Symphony Baltic 8/14/10~8/25/10

jsroh

We are planning to take this cruise in August.

http://www.crystalcruises.com/VoyageDetail.aspx?CID=0219

I would appreciate any hints and suggestions from those of you who have taken a cruise to these destinations. I specifically would like to know about shore excursions, whether we need to take Crystal's expensive shore excursions, or we can browse by ourself to those famous attractions (major sightseeing or point of interest etc.) in the certain port. It sounds like we can browse by ourself in Tallinn, Estonia and need to take a shore excursion in St. Petersburg but have no idea in the other ports (Stockholm, Helsinki, Copenhagen, Oslo). As you know, Crystal's shore excursions are pretty expensive.

Thanks for your help

James,

We have been sailed with:

Crystal Symphony

Crystal Serenity

Regent Voyager

Regent Navigator

Regent Paul Gaugain

Silver Shadow

Cunard QE 2

Crystal is our favorite so far.

<!-- / message -->

JS,

We took a similar Crystal cruise last summer with a couple of different ports.

In St. Petersburg we booked a private tour for 2 out of our 3 days from Anastasia-world.com, along with another couple that we connected with on CC. The guide and drivers were wonderful and we were able to see a lot of wonderful places and get into sites like the Hermitage without waiting in line and were able to have lunch in local restaurants with out large crowds.

In Stockholm we just took a short shore excursion to the Vasa museum in the morning, which is not to be missed, and then just got off the bus in old town, had lunch and walked around, and made our way back to the ship, after my wife and I went to the Absolut Ice Bar on our own, which was fun. We ran into a Crystal tour there and they gave us a free ride back to the ship, but a taxi would have been no problem.

In Helsinki we mainly just walked around, but then decided to take a local ferry over to the Souemenlinna island and fortress, which was an interesting historical site. In Copenhagen we just took the free Crystal bus into town and walked around before returning to the ship. Sorry but we did not go to Tallin or Oslo.

I do need to comment on your remark about "expensive Crystal shore excursions". They used to be expensive, but because of the "as you wish credit", which provides you and your traveling companion with $1000.00 each of shipboard credit, which, if your TA throws in some and you get "share the experience" additional credit, will probably grow to about $2600 for two people, you will have money to burn, and the costs of shore excursions becomes negligible. We had money left over to purchase nice Russian gifts onboard the ship and to give additional gratuities to employees who were deserving. We are not big drinkers but many people use the credit to purchase fine wines or special dinners in the Vintage room.

I agree with Wripro. Post your question on the Crystal Cruises board and you will get a lot of thoughtful advice from seasoned travelers.

Archived