best idea for luau

cruisethree

I think if you do a search that you will find that the Old Lahaina Luau on Maui is by far the most popular and for good reasons. I do not think that a child will be an issue although someone that has children, and been to OLL, should probably comment on that.

http://www.oldlahainaluau.com/

I have checked into this particular Luau but unless you are renting a car its not an option at least for us.

As I understand its approx a 45 min drive from port and could be quite pricey for a taxi.

It has been highly recommended but with the transportation issue I am looking into other options. :cool:

Don't have kids, but do remember that alot of kids were present when we went. The price is good but like was mentioned taxis are quite expensive, and honestly renting a car isn't all that much, and gives you the freedom of packing a few more exciting "island" activities into your cruise. Visit the Maui Tropical Plantation and Iao Valley. OLL is a stop for the first port night, you will never make it back to the ship on a second day.

We speak from experience but not from cruising experience in Hawaii, but actually being on the island for a month at a time. If an accident occurs on 30 and one is trying to get back from Lahaina you could be seeing more of Maui than you expected. But at least you can jump an inter-island flight to catch up with the ship if you miss it. So I would highly recommend one bites the bullet and rents a car and does the OLL.

We went to the OLL during our Nov 28 POA cruise. This is our 5th Maui luau, my 3rd time at OLL, and have enjoyed it each time. There were several children there, some much younger than your 5 yr old. They did fine, especially when the show starts. Spend some time prior to the luau walking around Lahaina, it's a great little town.

We rented a car through Thrifty for $33 (total) for the day. It was a compact class (PT Cruiser) that worked out well. (Sign up for the Thrifty Blue Chip program!! Head of the line priviledge is a good thing!) If you rent for both days you can park at the pier, but spaces fill up fast. The last shuttle from the Thrifty lot to the POA is 9 pm, so getting back from the luau in time is possible. If you are late, Thrifty will run another shuttle, but not at the same frequency as before 9 pm. Thrifty had the latest shuttle service of all car rental companies.

Gas was $3.70 a gallon, but we only used about $25 the whole day of driving. If you do rent a car, TAKE A GPS. With all the differnet highway and street names, it makes the day much more enjoyable!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, as others have said, renting a car on Maui isn't too expensive, and it will give you the freedom to see a lot more than you would have otherwise.

I agree with the other posters that the Old Lahaina Luau is fantastic! Especially since you have young kids, I'd suggest trying the traditional mat seating. You'll be in the front row of tables that way, and your kids will probably get a kick out of it, plus, they'll have a great view of the show!

I have enjoyed reading everyone's comments regarding Old Lahaina Luau. We are a family of six and have never been to Hawaii, so a Luau happens to be pretty high on our list of things to do. These boards have been extremely helpful for our past couple of vacations!!

We are also on the POA 2/13 sailing. We are doing the OLL (based on feedback here), but we are also doing the one in Kauai.

It doesn't seem like OLL does the firedance (the one thing my 4 and 7 year old wanted to see), so that's why we're also doing the one in Kauai.

Archived