Really depressed looks like our plans changed for the Antarctica

beth555

My husband, son age 15 and myself were booked on the Clelia II 19 day trip to the Antarctica for Dec 15 2010. It was perfect in that the price was good (we really got a reduced rate for a triple), the timing was over my son's Christmas vacation and it included South Georgia- which both my husband and son were really looking forward to. In addition the ship looked nice with only about 112 pax. I was just told that they changed the itinerary and are only going to do the 12 day trip (only to antarctica.) For us if we were going to travel that far we wanted to see South Georgia and I heard so many people talk about that being the real highlight. They offered me an upgrade cabin on the dates they will be doing the longer trip but I can't have my son out of school for 3 weeks. I have tried all the other longer trips on different ships for Dec 2010 and everything else is considerably more, for a lot less. The only ship that came close was the

Akademik Sergey Vavilov but for the same price the 3 of us have to share a bathroom with others -and I just don't want to do that. We also had to pay for the charter but I could have dealt with that. Looks like we won't be going in 2010.

My husband, son age 15 and myself were booked on the Clelia II 19 day trip to the Antarctica for Dec 15 2010. It was perfect in that the price was good (we really got a reduced rate for a triple), the timing was over my son's Christmas vacation and it included South Georgia- which both my husband and son were really looking forward to. In addition the ship looked nice with only about 112 pax. I was just told that they changed the itinerary and are only going to do the 12 day trip (only to antarctica.) For us if we were going to travel that far we wanted to see South Georgia and I heard so many people talk about that being the real highlight. They offered me an upgrade cabin on the dates they will be doing the longer trip but I can't have my son out of school for 3 weeks. I have tried all the other longer trips on different ships for Dec 2010 and everything else is considerably more, for a lot less. The only ship that came close was the

Akademik Sergey Vavilov but for the same price the 3 of us have to share a bathroom with others -and I just don't want to do that. We also had to pay for the charter but I could have dealt with that. Looks like we won't be going in 2010.

Somebody (oh it was you, lol) just mentioned that the Fram is doing a Dec 2010 which includes South Georgia and is prices well. I have looked at the Fram and liked it except I didn't think it went to South Georgia, curious as to what company has it chartered. Personally I am looking at 2011 for my trip but if some great deal came up in late 2010 I might consider it.

Archived