Puerto Vallarta Snorkeling

realmccoy

Have been to PV many times in the past and have done Las Calitas three times...so now just looking for the best Snorkeling location/ tour in PV. We already have plans in Cabo and Mazatlan...so just looking for suggestions in PV for a good snorkeling location. We will be going in February are aware of the red tides and cooler temps. Thanks for your help!

Seems the general concensus is, No Snorkle in PV, as it is a large bay with minimal to see. Seems to us, if ya just gotta try, go to the south end of Los Muertos Beach, where the sand ends and the rocks begin (always lots to see in snorkel rocks), and your walk down the sand in Los Muertos will be filled with the lots of local wildlife worthy of viewing; and a great place to relax after snorkel.

South end a few 100 yards behind the camera in the pic below

IMG_5687b.jpg

We love to snorkel and happen to live in PV a couple of months a year. The reality is that when we leave for PV we do not even bother to pack our snorkel gear because we have been spoiled by good snorkeling (and diving) which you do not find in PV. However, another option for you would be to get a boat tour that takes you out to the Marietas. If you get lucky with clear and calm waters you might get to see some interesting sea life. If you Google the Marietas you will find a couple of tour companies (at least one tries to accomodate cruise passengers) but you are talking about a 5 or 6 hour tour since its a long ride out to the island.

Hank

We love to snorkel and happen to live in PV a couple of months a year. The reality is that when we leave for PV we do not even bother to pack our snorkel gear because we have been spoiled by good snorkeling (and diving) which you do not find in PV. However, another option for you would be to get a boat tour that takes you out to the Marietas. If you get lucky with clear and calm waters you might get to see some interesting sea life. If you Google the Marietas you will find a couple of tour companies (at least one tries to accomodate cruise passengers) but you are talking about a 5 or 6 hour tour since its a long ride out to the island.

Hank

Thanks for the info. We are definately looking at going out on a boat to get to decent snorkeling. Just trying to find out where to go.

Thanks for the info. We are definately looking at going out on a boat to get to decent snorkeling. Just trying to find out where to go.

Banderas Bay doesn't have that much structure to attract & hold the marine life that most people like to find/see when snorkeling. The few areas that are worth going to are reached by boat and can involve up to two hours travel each way.

The one location that is relatively close to Vallarta, and would likely give you your best results, is the Los Arcos National Marine Park. It is SSE of Vallarta. Do a google search for Los Arcos National Marine Park and you will find a number of excursion operators that take snorkeling parties to the area.

An aerial view of the park can be found at - http://wikimapia.org/#lat=20.5452045&lon=-105.2922821&z=17&l=0&m=b&search=Puerto%20Vallarta%2C%20jalisco%2C%20mexico

I can't recommend a specific excursion operator vs. another as I will get tossed from the board.

Enjoy!

Every visit to PV we just hop in a cab to Mismaloya Bay. The first thing we do is snorkel as visibility is best then. You end up snorkeling around what they call either Los Arcos or Turtle Rock. Many small boat operators will take you there. Maybe a $10/pp charge. There is an arch to swim through, lots of different fish. Then we hang on the beach the rest of the day. Chairs, lounges, cold drinks and even yummy food. Price is great. Scenery is beautiful. Just google Mismaloya Bay or Los Arcos and you will see the pics :)

Ok, I am going to be a contrarian and respectfully disagree with the two previous posts (trying to be very respectful about this). If we had never snorkeled in other good places we might say that Los Arcos is decent. But the reality is that when compared to good snorkel sites around the world Los Arcos sucks! As to Mismaloya, if you are lucky and the water is relatively calm than you will see some fish. But, most of the time it is nothing special and it is not like they have any coral to attract sea life. But, it is about as good as it gets close to PV and if you are happy with that quality of snorkeling then go for it!

Hank

Ok, I am going to be a contrarian and respectfully disagree with the two previous posts (trying to be very respectful about this). If we had never snorkeled in other good places we might say that Los Arcos is decent. But the reality is that when compared to good snorkel sites around the world Los Arcos sucks! As to Mismaloya, if you are lucky and the water is relatively calm than you will see some fish. But, most of the time it is nothing special and it is not like they have any coral to attract sea life. But, it is about as good as it gets close to PV and if you are happy with that quality of snorkeling then go for it!

Hank

Hank ...

The OP has made it pretty clear that they intend on spending time snorkeling while their ship is in Vallarta. They just wanted to know where to go and I feel the best use of their time will be a trip to Los Arcos. Never said it was decent, just a better use of their time than a trip all the way out to the Marietas.

I have never, and do not now, recommend that anybody spend their day in Vallarta "snorkeling". I know the conditions and I am now in the habit of leaving my snorkeling gear at home when we are in Vallarta. I have too many trips to the Caribbean under my mask to waste my time snorkeling in Banderas Bay. While I often go snorkeling when it's just a stop along the way, when out for a day sail, we never spend a day in Vallarta where snorkeling is the center focus for an excursion.

Looking forward to spending a good chunk of November in my favorite home away from home.

Visit Vallarta ... eat, drink, shop and enjoy!!

LOL...didn't mean to cause a ruckus. Since we are only in Cabo for 7 hours and PV for 12 hours...I thought I would take a shot at doing some snorkling in PV. We have snorkled many places before...including from shore in PV. I know it is not great there...but thought it would be nice to get into the water somewhere? The snorkel tour in Cabo is at 7:30am...and in February...thought that might be too cold...so was looking for other options. Seems like no one likes PV...

Good luck not starting a ruckus on Cruise Critic boards :) Just kidding!

I take no offense to Hank's post. He is right, the snorkeling in PV...well, it's nothing to write home about. I go to Mismaloya because it's really pretty and it's our silly tradition. So go there for the beauty. And since you are there, if you happen to be there early when conditions are decent, then pay a few bucks and snorkel around. There are some cool fish. But Hank is right, there is no coral. I don't know, we hit the Mexican Riviera frequently since we live in So Cal, and we are just sick of cantinas and shopping. So we like hitting beaches like this and just unwinding :) But I hope you have a great trip no matter what you decide. But still take a moment and google some pics of Mismaloya. It's kinda cool.

LOL...didn't mean to cause a ruckus. Since we are only in Cabo for 7 hours and PV for 12 hours...I thought I would take a shot at doing some snorkling in PV. We have snorkled many places before...including from shore in PV. I know it is not great there...but thought it would be nice to get into the water somewhere? The snorkel tour in Cabo is at 7:30am...and in February...thought that might be too cold...so was looking for other options. Seems like no one likes PV...

Hank & I spend a fair amount of time in Vallarta. I suspect he may have missed some of your early message content. I know your expectations are low and I concur with any suggestion that involves a snorkeling trip as a side activity vs booking an expensive all-day "snorkeling excursion".

Over the years, we have booked excursions that took us to just about every tourist snorkeling spot on the Bay except Los Arcos. If you are interested in a beach day that could involve snorkeling (based on conditions) then hbsurfcitycruiser's suggestion for Mismaloya is right on the mark.

Enjoy!

Geez, Truly sorry if we offended anyone (not our intent) but the OP did ask for "good snorkeling." PV is indeed our 2nd home and we are addicted to the place. And yes, we have snorkeled in PV but, as I tried to say gently, were not impressed.

Hank

No offense taken here :) I think the good thing about CC is to pick each other's brains for thoughts and ideas. But there are times you get varying reports. For example I am trying to find something to do for Mazatlan when we stop there. And wow, have you seen the mixed reviews on Stone Island?! Yikes! Mazatlan is my least favorite stop of the three so I am really at a loss of what to do. May stay on board and hit the pool and try for a spa special. Not what we typically do on cruises. You guys have any ideas or suggestions? :)

Mazatlan is a less favorite port for cruisers, yet is most favorite for snowbirds between dec-feb, because it's cheap and great weather.

We suggest chartering an open aor taxi and heading out to visit what you like. We posted our typical visit with lots of pics in the link below.

Have fun! => http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1157110

Mazatlan is much to do about seafood, Mazatlan Below

IMG_4583.jpg[/img]

Archived