"Hidden coin" on the Pride...

jennyleah25

Thanks for bringing this subject to my attention. Now I want to find the Pride's version of this too. I'll look for it in January.

Anybody else out there know where it is? :confused: You could save the rest of us a lot of searching.:o

I think there are public coins..when I was looking for them on the Legend, I was told by Security that they are welded under the water line, like you said.

A half hour later, I received this phone call from the same officer, who took me to see the public ones.

Melanie

I am wondering the same thing! Great minds think alike

Yeah! :D

I think there are public coins..when I was looking for them on the Legend, I was told by Security that they are welded under the water line, like you said.

A half hour later, I received this phone call from the same officer, who took me to see the public ones.

Melanie

Thanks! I did not know about these coins until I saw your post - I'm excited to see where it is on the Pride. WELL, I'm excited to be on the Pride with or without coins lol :p

well that shouldn't be too hard to find...;)

I'll look in Dec...:p

I bet a member of the staff could at the very least give us a hint :cool:

This is a shipbuilding tradition that literally goes back thousands of years. The Greeks and Romans put coins under the ship's mast, before it was stepped (installed) to appease the gods and, hopefully, bring smooth sailing to the ship. It was a tradition that continued through the heyday of sailing ships and even to the present day.

Modern shipbuilding doesn't have a traditional keel-laying ceremony anymore, and the ships don't have masts that are used for propulsion. I have seen pictures, though, of ceremonies around the welding of the first two pieces of steel, at the bottom of the hull, in which coins were welded or otherwise permanently affixed to the ship. Obviously, such coins aren't readily visible. In fact, they probably end up being inside a fuel or ballast tank.

On one Carnival ship I've been on (I believe it was the Paradise), I found some coins under glass, in a sealed box at the base of the radio/radar mast. It was reached from the sports deck on the uppermost deck, forward.

If anyone is looking for such coins on just about any ship, I would try the observation deck at the front of the uppermost deck, near the radio mast.

Paul

On one Carnival ship I've been on (I believe it was the Paradise), I found some coins under glass, in a sealed box at the base of the radio/radar mast. It was reached from the sports deck on the uppermost deck, forward.

If anyone is looking for such coins on just about any ship, I would try the observation deck at the front of the uppermost deck, near the radio mast.

Paul

Thanks, Paul! I'll definitely follow your advice and head there first on my search.

We need to find these on the pride!! It's so neat that it's such an old ship tradition - makes me want to find them even more. If nobody finds it before we leave in 26 days I'm going to ask the Cruise Director. :cool:

Please come back and post his reply and your search results! Happy sailing!:)

This is a shipbuilding tradition that literally goes back thousands of years. The Greeks and Romans put coins under the ship's mast, before it was stepped (installed) to appease the gods and, hopefully, bring smooth sailing to the ship. It was a tradition that continued through the heyday of sailing ships and even to the present day.

Modern shipbuilding doesn't have a traditional keel-laying ceremony anymore, and the ships don't have masts that are used for propulsion. I have seen pictures, though, of ceremonies around the welding of the first two pieces of steel, at the bottom of the hull, in which coins were welded or otherwise permanently affixed to the ship. Obviously, such coins aren't readily visible. In fact, they probably end up being inside a fuel or ballast tank.

Paul

Thanks for posting this...that is one of the first on my 'to-do' list when I board. Besides hunting for the coin on my own, it makes for interesting photos all the way up top of the ship.

It's funny that the Captain's don't know about the public ones. Of course, what they DO know is more important!

Melanie

• 1 month later...

I am going on the Pride on the 23rd of this month, and will find out, of course. So far, I have the Legend, and Destiny, I didn't know about them when I was on the Sensation. That gives me an excuse to said on the ship...lol.

Are you SURE you want to know, or would you rather look for your self. I can give you a hint when I get back instead, if you like.

Melanie

I am going on the Pride on the 23rd of this month, and will find out, of course. So far, I have the Legend, and Destiny, I didn't know about them when I was on the Sensation. That gives me an excuse to said on the ship...lol.

Are you SURE you want to know, or would you rather look for your self. I can give you a hint when I get back instead, if you like.

Melanie

Thanks! No, I want to know. Don't bother with hints.:) Someone on my roll call says he has inside info and is going to find it before me. He's probably keeping an eye on this thread, too (hi, James;)), but I want to even the odds, if I can.

When do you get back? We cruise on the 30th, the cruise after you, I think. So you will be getting off the ship while I'm getting on.:(

Well, CRAP...I tried to insert a picture that is on

Shutterfly, couldn't do it.

I'll be departing when you come on.

Melanie

As you're walking down the gangway, just scream at the top of your lungs:

"HEY SHAKYBEEF, THE GOOD LUCK COIN IS ON DECK ___, BESIDE THE___________, ATTACHED TO A ________________."

(with the blanks filled-in with the pertinent details, of course):p

As you're walking down the gangway, just scream at the top of your lungs:

"HEY SHAKYBEEF, THE GOOD LUCK COIN IS ON DECK ___, BESIDE THE___________, ATTACHED TO A ________________."

(with the blanks filled-in with the pertinent details, of course):p

I LOVE that mental image of me doing that. The ones I found on the ships are usually by the golf course, and behind the netted in basketball court, if that helps.

And they are all in a welded box.

Melanie

Archived