What to do at San Pedro pier

dayna84

sorry if this has been asked before...

Can anyone tell me if there are things to do at San Pedro pier prior to the cruise sailing? I know that when I've sailed before out of Long Beach there were vender set up outside where you could buy sun glasses, trinkets, Farmers Market type stuff...there was also a band playing for all the cruise passengers waiting. Does this pier have anything like that?

We are going to be getting in to LAX at about 8:30 a.m the day of the cruise and wanted to take a shuttle straight to the pier. We would also like to check in our luggage at this time (probably arriving to the pier around 9:30 a.m depending on traffic. What do you do with your luggage?

One last thing, any idea the appx cost of a taxi vs. a shuttle. There are 6 of us so I think we could fill up one shuttle and not have to drive around and around to find other passengers to make if full.

Any advise would be helpful!

Yes, there a "shopping" area called Ports of Call Village. Very busy place, but ok to walk around. There are some restaurants there too. We enjoyed the Maritime Museum which is right next to the shopping area.

thats great news as we will be there so early. Do you know about what you can do with your luggage while you are shopping around prior to boarding?

Not sure if they (cruiseline) would take your luggage early. Maybe try to ask that question on its own.

About the museum and ports of call village.......they are not right next to the pier, but certainly within walking distance. We stayed at a hotel right across from the museum (Best Western) and they shuttled us to the port. But, when we got back from the cruise, it was almost impossible to get to the shuttle (so many people wanting on), so my husband walked back to the hotel, got our car and picked us up.

try www.sanpedrochamber.com and click on "tour San Pedro" for more information

We are using Primetime Shuttle (800-733-8267) for our trip in March. There are six of us too. With six you get a "private" shuttle, you don't have to wait for other people. It is $63 from LAX to the Sheraton in San Pedro, and then $63 for the return from the pier to LAX.

Here's a link to the port of San Pedro. http://www.portoflosangeles.org I don't think you will be able to leave your luggage at the port. I don't remember anyplace to store it and it will be too early for the cruiseline to take it. They will be busy offloading the pax. Hope the link helps. Happy Sailing!

That's a great website.........looks like dayna84 won't have to walk to the museum or Ports of Call Village, but can take the streetcar instead!:) (we sailed from San Pedro before all these changes.......)

Not sure where you are flying in from, but I would be more likely to go have breakfast at the airport for a while, and catch a later shuttle to the pier, to hopefully arrive when they are accepting luggage (probably after 11).

Can you plese tell me about this hotel?????

TIA:)

This hotel was fine, especially for a one night, pre-cruise stay. We chose it because the price was right, they offered a free shuttle to the pier, free parking during the cruise and free breakfast (this was in 2001.....please confirm this before booking). I had read some negative reviews, mainly about customer service, and was a bit worried, but, like I said, they offered the extras I was looking for. The hotel was clean and the breakfast was good; more than enough to keep us satisfied until we got on the ship. The only service issue was that they couldn't deliver extra pillows, we had to go pick them up at the front desk. Not a big deal for us (we have kids!!! LOL), but this is something that some people would see as a problem. One word of warning about the shuttle.......on the way back to the hotel, it was a madhouse at the port. There wasn't an organized line for the shuttle, so people would mob it before it could even get into the waiting area. After missing 2 shuttles, my husband was able to get himself (no luggage) on the next shuttle and then he picked us up with our car.

We stayed at the Best Western this past July, pre-cruise. It was clean, has a pool, they serve breakfast in the morning - costco muffins, cereal, toast, juice, coffee, milk, fruit - which was a nice to tide us over until we boarded! We asked for a street side room so we could watch the traffic and see the the ships going by. It is directly across the street from the Maritime Museum and just a very short walk from the Port o' call Village. We had a great time there. The restaurants were unique to what we are used to so we had lunch there - picked out our fish for them to fry and watched them prepare it, it was excellent. It is a very family oriented place, we were there on a Sunday (day before our cruise) and arrived just before the church crowd got there. It was nice.

Next morning, after breakfast, we caught the shuttle to the cruise port. They post times to get the shuttle, we got to the lobby about 5 - 10 minutes early (sorry, can't help it!) so we were able to catch the second shuttle. Always have to deal with people pushing and shoving thinking they'll miss the boat if they aren't the first ones on the shuttle! Oh, well.

In January I booked a Super Shuttle on their website. There were 8 of us, and they were the only shuttle that would take 8. When we al had our luggage, went out to the curb, checked in with the Super Shuttle rep and 10 minutes later our shuttle was there, and we were on our way to LAX.

Archived