Review: The BOATYARD (Beach) ~OnOurOwn~

OCruisers

We just wanted "A Day at the Beach" this time in Barbados so The Boatyard met our needs perfectly!

It's a $3 pp taxi ride (about 5/10 minutes) each way. Admission was $12 pp -- $5 pp back in tokens to be used at their very large beach bar. This also included sturdy beach chairs and an umbrella.

It was a clean sandy beach. The water was a pretty blue color with small to medium waves. There were two water trampolines and a climbing iceberg ... as well as rope for swinging (like on the Jolly Roger) into the ocean from the pier. For rent were jetski type things.

The beach bar was quite large with music playing and friendly, happy bartenders. Bet it's a TOTAL HOOT at night when there's a band! :D

Their local draft beer was good and VERY cold. :p The "Painkillers" were also quite tasty! :p

Our "Flying Fish" sandwich was wonderful! Flying Fish is the national dish of Barbados. It's very mild with absolutely no fishy taste -- especially good with the special yellow, tangy sauce. Yum!

IF YOU ENJOY ACTIVE BEACHES AND FUN BEACH BARS, YOU'LL LOVE THE BOATYARD! :D

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions.

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

San10s (Judy) .... The Boatyard is not a very good place to snorkel. It's a wide open sandy beach which is great for lots of things ... unfortuantly, snorkeling is not one of them ....

We've been on catamarans in Barbados with good snorkeling (try one of the 5-Hour Excursions) ... if that's of any help.

Have FUN planning your trip! Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

scubaRN .... GREEN with Envy! WHINE! We want to be there at night too! :D

The day we were there the Ass't Cruise Director and many of the staff from our ship were also at Boatyard for the day! They told us it was popular with crew members as well when they had time off ... especially at night!

Have FUN at Boatyard! Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Hi OCruisers,

This sounds like a place we'd love, but we already booked the Silver Moon for Barbados. It sounds like you've cruise a lot, so I was wondering if you've found/heard of a comporable beach (active with a great beach bar) on Antigua or St. Lucia?

Dee

PS: I read your review on Reduit beach. Did you enjoy it as much as The Boatyard? Also, we already did Pineapple Beach in Antigua and are looking for something else.

Dee .... We also love doing catamarans in Barbados ... you'll have a blast!

Probably, we did like The Boatyard a bit better than Spinnaker's at Reduit Beach ... but, Spinnaker's also looked like it could be fun later in the day. (We were only able to stay until 1 o'clock because of a short port stop. :o )

In Antigua our very favorite beach is Long Bay Beach. It's not a "party place" ... but we always met interesting fun folks at the beach bar so was always a HAPPY place. Also, it's so very beautiful! Just love that beach!!!!

There's a thread by "SpreeSpree" on the Antiqua board that you might enjoy reading:

Long Bay Beach Summary

Have FUN and Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Thanks OCruisers. We did Long Bay Beach in Antigua two years ago....and maybe it was just not a great day.....or maybe we were at the wrong side of it (we stayed where the cab left us, facing the water it was the right side of the beach), but it wasn't one of our favorites. We're thinking about getting a pass to Jolly Beach Resort this time or trying Turner's Beach. I know the island has 365 beaches....just not sure which one to pick for a beach day.

We did a catamaran in Barbados once before and had a great time. This time we're taking our 21 year old daughter and her boyfriend with us and thought it would be fun to do together. I read good reviews about The Silver Moon and booked it. I'm sure we'll enjoy it....but am a little sad we'll be missing The Boatyard.

My boyfriend and I went to the Boatyard when we were in Barbados last year, and we also really enjoyed it. The beach was beautiful and we also saw crew members from the ship there. We ate at a restaurant that is right next to the beach (but not part of the beach) called Da Kitchen, and it was absolutely delicious! I had a fish steak, potato salad, and a coke and my boyfriend had some chicken, green beans, and potato salad. I can't remember exactly how much it cost but I'm thinking around $10 for both. It was really good food and the restaurant was really clean. The potato salad was the best potato salad I've ever eaten ( I normally don't even like potato salad).

We just wanted "A Day at the Beach" this time in Barbados so The Boatyard met our needs perfectly!

It's a $3 pp taxi ride (about 5/10 minutes) each way.

OCruisers---are there plenty of taxi's at the beach waiting to take people back to the ship,or should we make arrangements with the taxi that drops us off? Also, was there much waiting at the pier for a taxi?

Thanks,Cherie

Cherie .... There were taxis lined-up waiting to take us back to the ship -- no problem!

Going to ... just follow the signs at the cruise pier (as you go through the shopping area) marked "TAXIS". There's a person there who'll ask where you want to go ... and then direct you to a taxi or mini-van. It's so easy!

Hope you have a great time! Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Cherie .... There were taxis lined-up waiting to take us back to the ship -- no problem!

Going to ... just follow the signs at the cruise pier (as you go through the shopping area) marked "TAXIS". There's a person there who'll ask where you want to go ... and then direct you to a taxi or mini-van. It's so easy!

Hope you have a great time! Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Thanks so much. :)

Cherie

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

rlanting....Since the local beer they sell (very good and VERY COLD) is only $2.50 ea., it's really not worth going to the trouble of taking a cooler even if allowed to do so. Can't see why any snacks you pack in your beach bag would be a problem. :)

rlanting....Since the local beer they sell (very good and VERY COLD) is only $2.50 ea., it's really not worth going to the trouble of taking a cooler even if allowed to do so. Can't see why any snacks you pack in your beach bag would be a problem. :)

Thank You..... :)

I see there is a Wed. Night Party when does the BoatYard start to turn more into a Night Club ??

Do people stay there all day, or does the crowd change at night.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank You..... :)

I see there is a Wed. Night Party when does the BoatYard start to turn more into a Night Club ??

Do people stay there all day, or does the crowd change at night.

We've only been there in the DAY ... and ... while fun, it's absolutely fine for families.

The cruise staff from our ship was there when we were and they told us that when the sun goes down the party begins at Boatyard!!! :D

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

• 2 months later...

Janet/Gary .... As discussed, this thread has the directions from the ship! It's a very easy thing to do. Like you, we were doing catamarans in other ports so just wanted to go to the beach in Barbados this time.

Hope it helps! Please let us know if you have any other questions.

• 2 months later...

med510 .... We are in our mid 50's and will certainly go to the Boatyard the next time we are in Barbados at night. Understand that it really is as different as day and night. Family time by day -- Adult time by night!

We LOVE going to active bars and normally find people of ALL ages who just want to have some fun. Our big suggestion is to sit AT THE BAR ... (don't sit alone at a table for two) ... best way to meet others and have a good time at ANY bar. :p

Have a great time in Barbados! Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

It has been two weeks since our cruise and I am still dreaming about our day at the Boat Yard. We loved this place! If we ever get back, we will sure spend our time there again. The beach is so beautiful, the staff is really nice. We didn't eat there but the beer was good and the music and activities were wonderful. Great way to spend the day. And if you do go, tell "Meco" we said hi. Tall dark, handsome, young man who works the beach area.

Archived