Auckland Explorer Bus

Will be spending one night in Auckland on 23 October 2011 prior to sailing on HAL Volendam. I found information about the Explorer Bus that allows "Hop on-Hop off" travel around the Auckland main attractions.

Questions for the folks that are familar with this -- is there a better format for a one day visit?

Thanks,

Woodeagle

Will be spending one night in Auckland on 23 October 2011 prior to sailing on HAL Volendam. I found information about the Explorer Bus that allows "Hop on-Hop off" travel around the Auckland main attractions.

Questions for the folks that are familar with this -- is there a better format for a one day visit?

Thanks,

Woodeagle

Friends used this bus recently and remarked that it was a very good way to see the highlights. We took a ship's tour to the North Shore and Devonport. Saw interesting forts you could walk through besides the usual sights, with a very informative guide, and the tour ends with a visit to the Devonport chocolate shop. They gave us tickets to catch the ferry back (5-10 mins). I believe you can also book this tour privately from the ferry building near to where the ship docks.

We have used the bus to visit Tarlingtons great penguin and sting ray exhibit and around the city and it is very convenient. The view from the Sky Needle is spectacular as is the bungee thingy down the side (watching it for me definately not doing it)

I would also recommend you do the ferry over to Devonport...lovely little spot, pretty with lots of nice little shops, cafes etc...they have a tourist bus over there to take you around the sights as well as a nice trip across the harbour. The ferries leave from quite near the cruise terminal.

So many fantastic things to see in NZ but I think my very favourite is the glow worm caves at Waitomo..unbelieveable...hire cars are easy to find and very cheap.

We used the Auckland Explorer bus when in Auckland recently, it was an excellent way to see the city and environment. The Auckland Museum is well worth a visit. We were also on the Volendam and must say our best cruise ever.

Mark

Archived