Rough seas around Cape Horn in Jan.?

We are considering taking a Holland America cruise from Santiago to Buenos Aires in Jan., but I'm concerned about rough seas rounding Cape Horn. Can anyone tell me their experience?

Not in January, but two years ago in the middle of February it was not rough at all!

We have not long returned from a cruise on the Star Princess-Santiago to Fort lauderdale.

We went around the Horn early March and the seas were like a pond. However it is not always like that and it is very much the luck of the draw as to what the conditions will be. It can change very quickly.

Don't let that put you off from doing a wonderful cruise. The highlight of the cruise for us was The Faulklands where we did the Patrick Watts 4 wheel drive tour to see the King Penguins. That was the most amazing day ever!!

We are considering taking a Holland America cruise from Santiago to Buenos Aires in Jan., but I'm concerned about rough seas rounding Cape Horn. Can anyone tell me their experience?

Concur with others.. Luck of the draw wherever you go, but maybe more predictable % wise during certain seasons on where you are.

During January 2009, in millpond conditions, our captain tendered ashore to visit the lighthouse keeper.. (and collect rocks which were mounted by ship carpenters and auctioned for kids with cancer)..

You wont ever regret doing a lap of South America ;)

Sus and Phil

I cruised on HAL's Veendam South America and Antarctic cruise in January this year and we had fantastic weather. December had been very rough but we had smooth seas on our trip. I did a blog of the trip:

http://bescotti.blogspot.com/

There's no guarantee that the weather will be so perfect again next year, but I'd do this trip again in a heartbeat!

Archived