Celebrity v Royal Caribbean v Princess

It's comparison time :D

I've left P&O out of the comparison cos they don't cruise from Honolulu to Sydney via Tahiti :p

So, help me out. What are the differences between these 3 lines? I'm particularly interested in Celebrity as I have cruised on Rhapsody and Diamond P and Sun P. Is there really any difference? Probably more interested in activities/nightlife (yes I know Princess don't have any nightlife :p) Is it really same same?

Deb

It's comparison time :D

I've left P&O out of the comparison cos they don't cruise from Honolulu to Sydney via Tahiti :p

So, help me out. What are the differences between these 3 lines? I'm particularly interested in Celebrity as I have cruised on Rhapsody and Diamond P and Sun P. Is there really any difference? Probably more interested in activities/nightlife (yes I know Princess don't have any nightlife :p) Is it really same same?

Deb

Hi Deb,

Celebrity cruises is owned by RCI so i guess the nightlife would be similiar.

Col:)

Probably more interested in activities/nightlife (yes I know Princess don't have any nightlife :p)

When I was on the Sun Princess in October there was a bit of nightlife, but it would have been better if the DJ did not suck!

Deb we've done a few cruises on Celebrity and love them. I would say they are a bit more upmarket than RCL and Princess. However, having said that I would say it's purely on service and a few little extras overall, nothing drastically different in cruising.

As for the night life, I think it all depends on the crew, the DJ and who else is cruising at the time.

Jilly:)

Just going by the ships we have been on.....Rhapsody had a great night life, however when the Superstar Leo was here...wow....they know how to party, and not just in a select area of the ship....all over...and catering to everyone on a grand scale. Even their shows were outstanding every single night. I still watch the video of this cruise.

Jen

I view Celebrity better than Princess for activities, though they're quite different to the RCL style of activities - you won't find belly flops and cake tosses on there. Depends what you're looking for really.

Nightlife is heavily influenced by the crowd onboard. For the cruise you're talking about, I expect it would be more retired people and less kids, so less likely to be as active as the holiday cruises. For the time of year, duration and location though, I doubt any of those cruises would have lots of night club activity, though probably RCL will do a bit more than the others.

I wouldn't call them same same, but not sure the differences in this case would be enough to influence choice of cruise by itself.

Sailed on both Celebrity and RCI, Celebrity slightly more refined than RCI. As Big M stated, different types of activities offered. RCI, IMHO, tends to be a younger, livelier mix of passengers, but this does differ by itinerary and ship (Baltics and Alaska were a lot quieter than Med sailings). Kids clubs were less crowded on Celebrity than RCI, but their ships don't have so many additional things for the kids to do i.e. ice skating, surf riding, rock climbing etc (realise you've only sailed on Rhapsody which doesn't provide many of these facilities anyway). We like both lines and are sailing on Solstice to New Zealand next Christmas, really looking forward to experiencing this new class of ship. Would consider the ship and itinerary first, you can make your own entertainment;)! Can't comment on Princess until after August.

• 4 weeks later...

Celebrity is probably more like Princess and Holland America. They tend to appeal to older passengers, they are more refined, and there are a distinct lack of tannoy announcements for things happening on the top deck. If it's nightlife and activities you are looking for then RCL is the way to go. We have really enjoyed every cruise with them. That being said, we have just cancelled our cruise from Sydney to Honolulu via Tahiti on Radiance of the Seas in April and rebooked on the Celebrity Century doing the same route in March for half of the price. The money we save will more than pay for our flights, my soda package and DH's alchohol package). We have cruised on the Century before and had the best food of any cruise. They also have a really well stocked library, good pub quizzes every day and although it's a bit more sedate we had a really good time.

Archived