Solo on the Allure - My Experience & Photo Review Link

Newbcruiser1

So after 3 cruises, I took the plunge and went on my first solo cruise, and chose the biggest ship in the world to try it on! I'm in my mid 20's and had been intrigued by all of the solo cruisers on this board, and the more I read about the idea, the more I wanted to try it. I went in with the thought that I'd try to make the best of it, and if I hated it, I just wouldn't do it again. If I loved it, this would be the end of having to wait for friends or family to have the vacation time and money to cruise with me!

The first issue I encountered was the single supplement. Being that the Allure is one of the more expensive ships as it was, I wasn't thrilled with this idea, BUT I was "lucky" in that the supplement on an interior guarantee room for this sailing was only about 150%. I had hoped for an upgrade, but was assigned the larger size interior room, and was okay with that. I was eventually upgraded on the firstday of the cruise to a central park balcony though as they needed my room for a family, so that worked out well.

When I told my family and friends I'd be cruising solo I got all different types of reactions, positive, and negative. Even the Royal Caribbean booking agent sounded a bit negative about the idea. The best was the US customs officer who asked me who I was cruising with. I told him I'd be cruising alone. He said "You're going on a cruise by YOURSELF?". His reaction was so negative that I ended up saying "No, no, I'm flying by myself, but going on the cruise with some friends". Yikes.

I was somewhat nervous at the thought of getting on a ship and having NOBODY to talk to, so for the first time in 4 cruises, I joined the Roll Call board and met some people. I even made dinner reservations with 2 members for one of the specialty restaurants. I also made it a point to attend the informal sail-away party, and the Meet and Mingle the following day so that I'd have some familiar faces around the ship. Unfortunately I didn't see most of them again on a massive ship with over 6100 passengers, but it was nice when I did run into a few of them.

Another thing that worried me was dining. Thanks to the advice of those on here, I booked the 8:30 seating, and requested a large table of cruisers of similar demographics. Well, this didn't work out so well, as I was seated at a table for 4, with a group of 3 people from Europe, one of which was not fluent in English. I felt a bit like I was intruding on their group. I requested a table change for myself and 4 other CC members to be seated together, however I was told that there were no tables for 5 available, and the head waiter gave me the run around and told me 3 times to return "later", and each time I returned, he told me to try again later. I eventually gave up.

My tablemates did not show up after the first night as they preferred buffets, so I ended up eating alone in the dining room on one formal night. Another night I ate at the table of 2 CC friends as one did not attend dinner. I ate with them in a specialty restaurant as mentioned above on another night, and on the last night, since my table was empty once again, another head waiter told me to invite them to sit with me, which they did. On 2 other nights, I ate elsewhere (the buffet, and Johnny Rockets) alone. I did run into my tablemates near the end of the cruise at the buffet and they invited me to eat there with them the following night, but I declined as I wanted to eat in the MDR on the last night to distribute my tips to my servers. That was a nice gesture on their part though. On the same night, the lady and her daughter who had been sitting at the table next to mine in the dining room invited me to eat with them the following night, however they didn't show up to dinner. Overall dining would have been a major bust had it not been for the 2 CC members I connected with prior to the cruise.

Overall I enjoyed my cruise and had a great time. It was nice to do everything on my own schedule without pre-planning timing, etc. I loved the daytime when I could have my own quiet time at the pool or go to some of the activities. I felt a bit awkward a few times in the evening, mainly when eating dinner alone and in-between events when I had nothing to do, but I got over it. I didn't tell a ton of people onboard that I was cruising solo for safety reasons, however those I did tell had nothing but positive reactions.

Would I do it again? If I was desperate for a vacation and couldn't find anyone to go with me, sure I would, but I would definitely go online and try to meet some people and plan some things together prior to sailing.

If you'd like to read more about my trip, I have started a trip journal with a lot of pictures here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1429127

I did go to the informal CC sail-away party on the first day, as well as the Meet and Mingle on day 2 and met some other CC members that way.

I didn't go to any of the singles get togethers on the cruise as I've heard negative things about them (that they are poorly run, and nobody shows up, so people just walk by, look in, don't see anyone, so they keep on walking). I'm not so into clubbing either, and I'm more of a daytime person when on vacation, so I had a tendency to go to bed after the shows and a walk around the ship. (Which still ended up being after 1am most days).

My journal is almost finished for those waiting... it should be done by tonight or tomorrow morning. Just waiting for a video to upload so that I can continue it!

Sorry you had such a bad experience with dining. I've had just the opposite the three times I've sailed alone....had great dining companions which really added to my experience.

so, my suggestion is to try it again....

I cruise solo most of the time and enjoy every minute of my "alone" time. I request late dining at a large table just as you did and was seated with people of my age and nationality on my last cruise, Carnival Victory. I am so proud of you for traveling solo and sorry to hear your dining experience was not the best.

Sorry you had such a bad experience with dining. I've had just the opposite the three times I've sailed alone....had great dining companions which really added to my experience.

so, my suggestion is to try it again....

I cruise solo most of the time and enjoy every minute of my "alone" time. I request late dining at a large table just as you did and was seated with people of my age and nationality on my last cruise, Carnival Victory. I am so proud of you for traveling solo and sorry to hear your dining experience was not the best.

Thank you both! I likely WILL try it again in the future if I am in the position once again of wanting to cruise but having nobody that's able to come along. It was still a great cruise. I think next time, I'll visit the dining room when I board and find out who I am seated with and have it changed then if needed. Lesson learned! :) I have heard that historically, Carnival is better at dining table arrangements for solo cruisers than RCI too so that could have played a part.

My gut feeling all along is that the "mega ships" are not an appropriate choice for the solo cruiser. Oasis/Allure are very tempting with their unique features and being the most modern ships on the seas. But you don't get the same sense of community as on a smaller ship with the various diversions and plethora of choices.

My gut feeling all along is that the "mega ships" are not an appropriate choice for the solo cruiser. Oasis/Allure are very tempting with their unique features and being the most modern ships on the seas. But you don't get the same sense of community as on a smaller ship with the various diversions and plethora of choices.

I don't consider them suitable for any size group Heck, Rory Mcelroy's home town has the same population as the Monsters Of The Seas!

But they sell out, so what do I know?:p

I hate that you had a so so time. I am 26 and I had the best time of my life!!! I really think you should try carnival. It does have a younger demographic and people are so friendly. You would have met a ton of people and only 1 % would have been from CC.

I think dinning for me was a bust the first night no lie ,but they fixed that and it was awesome from there on .I went solo and both formal dinners were amazing. Dont wait for your friends if you can find a steal on like a 3 day from carnival do it. See if it changes your mind.

Now as far as central park carnival doesnt have that so if you can live with out that you will have a great time! :D

Thank you both! I likely WILL try it again in the future if I am in the position once again of wanting to cruise but having nobody that's able to come along. It was still a great cruise. I think next time, I'll visit the dining room when I board and find out who I am seated with and have it changed then if needed. Lesson learned! :) I have heard that historically, Carnival is better at dining table arrangements for solo cruisers than RCI too so that could have played a part.

On my Epic cruise, the wait staff had a difficult time assigning me with others to dine. I was told cruisers don't like others joining them, which I tend to doubt. No effort whatsoever to accommodate me. Then, on night three, I discovered the studio lounge was the place to meet table mates. All were pleasant and interesting. I loved my solo cruise, but honestly, would only consider the Epic at this point. Plus 150% for your own room on a beautiful ship isn't too bad...

I have to say that I have always been seated VERY WELL in the MDR on Carnival. It is actually one of the reasons I have stuck with the cruiseline! When I sail solo I am seated with other solos or friends sailing together, when I sailed as a single parent I was with other single parents and their children who were about the same age and when I was with a BF I was with another couple. So far it has worked out well and I figure if it is not broken, dont fix it........I am not a Carnival "cheerleader" and have vacationed many other ways but so far I have stuck with Carnival for my cruises for a couple of reasons......1 big one has been MDR seating and I also really enjoy the Piano Bar and the Comedy Clubs and other late night entertainment.

Congrats to you for going alone and although it was not the greatest experience maybe you will try again and have a better time!

YEAH for you!!!! :)

I hate that you had a so so time. I am 26 and I had the best time of my life!!! I really think you should try carnival. It does have a younger demographic and people are so friendly. You would have met a ton of people and only 1 % would have been from CC.

I think dinning for me was a bust the first night no lie ,but they fixed that and it was awesome from there on .I went solo and both formal dinners were amazing. Dont wait for your friends if you can find a steal on like a 3 day from carnival do it. See if it changes your mind.

Now as far as central park carnival doesnt have that so if you can live with out that you will have a great time! :D

I hope I didn't give off the wrong impression - I still had an AMAZING time. It had been my goal for this year to sail on the Allure, and it was so nice that I was able to make that happen.

Unfortunately a 3 day cruise is not practical for me as the airfare from Toronto would be double the price of the cruise. It only makes sense going on 1 week or longer cruises since I have to fly down.

On my Epic cruise, the wait staff had a difficult time assigning me with others to dine. I was told cruisers don't like others joining them, which I tend to doubt. No effort whatsoever to accommodate me. Then, on night three, I discovered the studio lounge was the place to meet table mates. All were pleasant and interesting. I loved my solo cruise, but honestly, would only consider the Epic at this point. Plus 150% for your own room on a beautiful ship isn't too bad...

The Epic definitely looks like a great option for a solo cruise thanks to the Studio Lounge. I have never sailed NCL and am not 100% keen on trying it, but for a solo cruise and at the right price, I think I'd be willing to give the Epic a try! I did look into it for this cruise but as it's currently in Europe, it didn't work out. The supplement I paid for the Allure though, being 150%, really wasn's too bad.

I have to say that I have always been seated VERY WELL in the MDR on Carnival. It is actually one of the reasons I have stuck with the cruiseline! When I sail solo I am seated with other solos or friends sailing together, when I sailed as a single parent I was with other single parents and their children who were about the same age and when I was with a BF I was with another couple. So far it has worked out well and I figure if it is not broken, dont fix it........I am not a Carnival "cheerleader" and have vacationed many other ways but so far I have stuck with Carnival for my cruises for a couple of reasons......1 big one has been MDR seating and I also really enjoy the Piano Bar and the Comedy Clubs and other late night entertainment.

Congrats to you for going alone and although it was not the greatest experience maybe you will try again and have a better time!

YEAH for you!!!! :)

Thank you for your positive message. I have never had issues with dining room seating on Royal Caribbean before (while travelling with family or a friend), but I do know that Carnival has a history of being better at seating solo cruisers at appropriate tables so that's definitely a factor to consider. In terms of evening entertainment, RCI (the mega-ships in particular) have an over-abundance of things to do as well from Jazz and Salsa Bars to karaoke bars and pubs to Comedy clubs, a variety of different shows, etc. I was very happy with the variety.

tjn, I was actually quite happy with my selection of the Allure. I DO see why people shy away from such large ships for solo cruises, but my intent was not to become "best friends" with people and see them day after day anyway, so it worked out fine for me. I was happier having the variety of things to do and venues to visit to keep me busy while solo. Having exchanged phone numbers with my new CC friends made it easy to make plans to meet as well. And I was still able to meet new people each day wherever I happened to be... I had some good pool conversations, movie theatre conversations, etc.

I do agree however, that if someone is cruising to make some new friends and wants to see the same people day after day, they should choose a smaller ship with less than half the passengers to make that easier, but I still stand by my decision to sail solo on the largest ship afloat. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've wondered what it would be like to cruise on one of these "monster ships." I really like the idea of all these activities and choice of night time entertainment. Your review and great pix really put me in the moment of your trip.

Over the years I've changed in what makes a great cruise for me. If I'm cruising to the MR or the Carib I really look at the ship and want more stuff happening both during the day and in the evenings. If I've chosen a cruise because of itinerary then a smaller ship is fine. On recent cruises I've only gone to the MDR a couple times so have done the anytime dining. I really like a casual atmosphere on a ship and think I would enjoy the "wander" possibilities of a big ship. Now a big ship for me is 100,000 tons +.

So, you're opened my eyes to a new possibility. Thanks, Faith

Nbc1,

Sorry your dining experience was less than staisfactory, tablemate wise. As you noted unless you make arrangements beforehand to meet up with like minded folks it is often just a crap shoot. I have had similar experiences over the years and just cannot figure out how the matre'd or whoever makes the dining assignments comes up with such awkward arrangements.

Archived