Ideas for Debarkation Day in Sydney

We are sailing on Rhapsody of the Seas and are looking for ideas on what to do on debarkation day (December 6th). Our international flight leaves at 3:30pm which is 10 minutes too early for the only RCCL tour option they currently offer on this day.

We would appreciate suggestions for this last bit of time in Sydney. We thought we might be able to take a half day tour but will need a place to store our luggage - or take a tour that will allow us to bring the luggage along.

Thank you in advance for your assistance. Kimberly

Not sure what to do with the bags, but you would have time for a quick walk about the Circular Quay see the Opera House have an early lunch in the Rocks and then off to the airport. Alternate if you haven't had too much sea time is to take the ferry to Manly. Lovely views of the city, the harbour heads, and then real early lunch in Manly before returning to the Quay and off to the airport.

If it was me (and I am VERY conservative and cautious by nature) -

for a 3.30 PM International flight, I would be planning to arrive at the airport at 12.30PM (you need plenty of time for checkin/custom/immigration procedures - and arrival at this time allows some slack if your taxi to the airport runs into traffic problems). I would be allowing an hour (from 11.30 AM)to get to the airport from the ship (it is only about 35 minutes - but once again this little extra allows for traffic problems) -- did I mention the traffic problems that can sometimes be encountered in Sydney?? :)

Unless you make special arrangements, I would plan for finally getting out onto the street (to catch a taxi) around 10AM at the earliest (you have to get off the ship, collect baggage go through Customs, etc). So, considering whatever baggage you will have with you, if it were me I would not be planning to do too much that morning as you won't have much time available - except perhaps to have a cup of coffee in one of the nice coffee places on the waterfront at Circular Quay (or Darling Harbour, depending on where the ship berths) - and watch the passing parade of people and Ferries.

Barry

I would be allowing an hour (from 11.30 AM)to get to the airport from the ship (it is only about 35 minutes - but once again this little extra allows for traffic problems) -- did I mention the traffic problems that can sometimes be encountered in Sydney?? :)

So, considering whatever baggage you will have with you, if it were me I would not be planning to do too much that morning as you won't have much time available - except perhaps to have a cup of coffee in one of the nice coffee places on the waterfront at Circular Quay (or Darling Harbour, depending on where the ship berths) - and watch the passing parade of people and Ferries.

Barry

Well said Barry. Much as I would like them to see a little. EEK! Lunch at the airport! (you will get a meal about 5:30 on the plane FWIW)

We would appreciate suggestions for this last bit of time in Sydney. We thought we might be able to take a half day tour but will need a place to store our luggage - or take a tour that will allow us to bring the luggage along.

Thank you in advance for your assistance. Kimberly

Apart from the time limit points made by Barry ( and I also agree with him) your luggage is the main problem. Left luggage services or lockers have almost disappeared - excuse security. If you dock at the Overseas Terminal and can handle your bags yourselves without an airport trolley, you could trundle along to one of the eateries in the OTC itself or along the Quay or if the weather is fine go alfreso. No easy time sensible solution occurs to me if you are docking at Wharf 5, Darling Harbour as there is a steep hill up to the CBD.

Colleen

for a 3.30 PM International flight, I would be planning to arrive at the airport at 12.30PM (you need plenty of time for checkin/custom/immigration procedures - and arrival at this time allows some slack if your taxi to the airport runs into traffic problems). I would be allowing an hour (from 11.30 AM)to get to the airport from the ship (it is only about 35 minutes - but once again this little extra allows for traffic problems) -- did I mention the traffic problems that can sometimes be encountered in Sydney?? :)

Unless you make special arrangements, I would plan for finally getting out onto the street (to catch a taxi) around 10AM at the earliest (you have to get off the ship, collect baggage go through Customs, etc). So, considering whatever baggage you will have with you, if it were me I would not be planning to do too much that morning as you won't have much time available - except perhaps to have a cup of coffee in one of the nice coffee places on the waterfront at Circular Quay (or Darling Harbour, depending on where the ship berths) - and watch the passing parade of people and Ferries.

Barry

I agree WHY STRESS

if you wish to store your luggage in Sydney click on the link

http://www.sydney.com.au/lockers-luggage-storage.htm......but as been stated you wont have a lot of time to spare and if you wish to catch a train from circular quay the fare is $15.80 PP

http://www.cityrail.info/tickets/fare_calculator.htm

Which makes the cost of a taxi for 2 about the same

You might want to consider hiring a Limo. Most companies offer an Airport service, and time and budget allowing you can arrange to go via the Eastern Suburbs etc and see some of Sydney's beaches. Just do a Google search on Sydney Limos.

You might be surprised at how economical this could be compared with the cost of ships tours + luggage stowage+ taxis etc

Cheers

Thank you to all who shared their opinions - your insight is greatly appreciated.

Because we are spending most of our pre-cruise time at the Great Barrier Reef, we only had time for a day in Sydney before we board the ship. As a result, we were hoping we could squeeze something into our schedule the morning of debarkation day prior to heading to the airport.

The limo option is a great idea. Does anyone have suggestions on who to contact to see if they offer this type of service?

Thanks again for your help.

P.S. Our departing flight actually leaves at 3:20pm, not 3:30pm - if it was 3:30pm we could take the RCCL tour option.

If you have a 2:30 flight your window is too tight for much of anything. I would just take a taxi to the airport, maybe have the driver take a long cut to let you see the city from a different perspective maybe swinging by Bondi Beach or even (bit more out of the way) to see the harbour heads, but you just don't really have a lot of time to spend. Do get to the Zoo or Manly on you day in Sydney. Be sure to look out under the Harbour Bridge at night at catch Luna Park lit like a magic act.

Thank you to all who shared their opinions - your insight is greatly appreciated.

The limo option is a great idea. Does anyone have suggestions on who to contact to see if they offer this type of service?

Ho Gordo

Have a look at this Google Search page

http://www.google.com.au/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENAU286&q=sydney+limo+hire+prices&oq=sydney+limo&aq=6&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=734l3844l0l7969l11l11l0l3l3l0l719l2671l2-1.5.6-1l7l0

Just for fun I did a quick pseudo booking for a luxury chaffeured vehicle pick up at Circular Quay at 10am, visit Kings Cross, Bondi Beach and Coogee beach on way to International Airport. I would guess that would take about 1.5-2 hours.Estimated Cost quoated at A$169 for two passengers. A Couple of bucks more if you want champagne !:D

For what you get seems like a good deal to me

cheers

Ho Gordo

Have a look at this Google Search page

http://www.google.com.au/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENAU286&q=sydney+limo+hire+prices&oq=sydney+limo&aq=6&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=c&gs_upl=734l3844l0l7969l11l11l0l3l3l0l719l2671l2-1.5.6-1l7l0

Just for fun I did a quick pseudo booking for a luxury chaffeured vehicle pick up at Circular Quay at 10am, visit Kings Cross, Bondi Beach and Coogee beach on way to International Airport. I would guess that would take about 1.5-2 hours.Estimated Cost quoated at A$169 for two passengers. A Couple of bucks more if you want champagne !:D

For what you get seems like a good deal to me

cheers

Thanks for taking the time to check into this for us - it sounds like a great solution.

If we were to add some time on the front end of this option, are there other areas to consider or should we plan to spend more time in the areas mentioned?

I would be at a loss for why you would want to stop in King's Cross at all. The harbour Heads at Watson's Bay are good as noted above, but Bondi and Coogee Beaches are then on the way to the Airport. Note, if you want to see Botany Bay the plane will land over it most days so keep your eyes out while coming in.

Hello! I agree with bazzaw, you need to leave at least 3 hours before the international flight out of Sydney. However, there are different ways to do it. Watson Bay is amazing by ferry, you can easily get a train from Wynyard (about 250-300m from the port) to Circular Quay and there is lots to see from there. However, it all depends on how long you actually have and when you can get off the ship. If you are at the Overseas Passenger Terminal, there are lovely restaurants (who could take your bags) and you can look out over the harbour, or there is a nice restaurant next to Wharf 8 on the other side of the bridge.

Alternatively, you can get the train, the 'Airport and East Hills line' (Green) train from Wynyard and from Circular Quay will take you directly to the airport which has all the lifts and luggage friendly facilities you need, for two adults it will probably be cheaper than a taxi (they have extra charges for bags and an airport charge), and likely take a shorter time (about 10-15mins from Central) but it is a bit of effort.

Good Luck!

P.S. Don't bother with Kings Cross.

We have a similar problem with what to do with our luggage on debarkation day. Our Flight is at 4:30 pm. We decided to rent a car for the day--about 60$AUD and leave our luggage in it for the day. Then we can drive it to the airport for dropoff. Even if we have to pay for parking it shouldn't be much more than a taxi to the airport. We have been to Sydney earlier in the trip (and twice on earlier trips). We'll just be happy to wander around a bit using public transportation.

Janet and Steve

Hello! I agree with bazzaw' date=' you need to leave at least 3 hours before the international flight out of Sydney.

P.S. Don't bother with Kings Cross.[/quote']

Thanks for your input. Is the consensus that we need three hours once we check in at the airport or from whatever point we are in Sydney?

Also, why not King's Cross? And if not King Cross, where else should we visit? Thanks - Kimberly

Kings Cross is the red light district! Lots of "interesting" characters but not the best area of Sydney to take home with you as your souvenir memory. Head out to Manly on the ferry or drive the airport via Bondi if you want a 'snapshot' of the city. In any event you are cutting it very fine. You need to check in for international flights at least 2 hours before departure and if you factor in traffic delays (likely) I don't think you have a realistic chance of seeing much of the city at all. Sorry :(

It's more to be at the airport three hours before departure, to allow for the queue to check-in, as you should aim to check in 2 hours before departure.

If you're in a limo going through those places, there's no issue going through Kings Cross as it's on the way. There's a bit of history and some nice locations. If you're thinking of making a separate trip in a tight time frame though, it's probably not worth it as looking through by yourself there's not a lot that stands out.

Archived