Private tour to tulum?

pba20493

If you are docking in Cozumel and wanting to do a private tour guide I wouldn't suggest it. Typically, I'm all for private excursions as they offer the best experience. However, for this one it's just too risky. You have to ferry over to Playa, take a long bus ride to Tulum and back and then ferry back. It's a really tight schedule. If your private tour guide had any issue at all you wouldn't make it back to the ship in time. Really, something as simple as missing one of the ferries or having a flat tire could really ruin your vacation. This is one of the few excursions I really would suggest going with the ship's excursion even though the price is high.

Agreed.

There are so many variables in this particular excursion that make it a dicey situation if something were to go wrong. chloedmom is correct. Engine trouble, flat tire, rough ferry crossing--any of these issues could delay your return to the ship, and if you choose to go with a private tour and are late getting back, they will LEAVE without you. That means getting to your next port of call on your dime.

Believe me, I love (and live) to save a buck, but this is one excursion where I would opt for the safety and security of the cruise line's option. Seriously, do a search on Tulum and you will see this advice in every thread on these boards.

Can anyone tell me which tour operator migt be best for taking a tour to tulum? We have seen the ship prices and im sure we can do better. Thanks

Tim

Check these out:

Cozumel Tours by Johann & Sandra - http://www.cozumel-tours.com/tulum.htm

Island Marketing Inc - http://www.caribbeanshoretours.com/CozumelTulumPrivateTours.htm

Cancun Vista Tours - http://www.cancunvista.com/travel/private_tours_cozumel.htm#t1

May be great tours and very good companies but again, if anything goes even the slightest bit wrong the OP would not get back to the ship in time and be left on their own in Cozumel. The time it takes to do this tour and the many, many variables just doesn't make it an ideal situation for an independent tour , in my opinion. I'm all for independent tours as they offer a great experience. This is the one tour - Tulum - that I would suck it up and spend the money on the ship's excursion.

May be great tours and very good companies but again, if anything goes even the slightest bit wrong the OP would not get back to the ship in time and be left on their own in Cozumel. The time it takes to do this tour and the many, many variables just doesn't make it an ideal situation for an independent tour , in my opinion. I'm all for independent tours as they offer a great experience. This is the one tour - Tulum - that I would suck it up and spend the money on the ship's excursion.

It all depends on how close to the edge the OP likes to live. I figure the OP is an adult and capable of determining if missing the ship is worth saving a few bucks.

I'm a big chicken myself! :D

And I don't want to see myself on

videotaped from the deck of the ship while I'm jumping up and down on the pier!

Oviedo32765, you are absolutely correct. We all have personal responsibility as adults to make that call or not. The OP asked for information, and will weigh their options.

That said, the link you just posted SPEAKS VOLUMES. It is a perfect example of "question asked, question answered". Stranded dockside and probably without a change of clothes or a passport between them. I feel terrible for them. What do you want to bet that the couple in the video rate that trip as the worst vacation ever?

I have been there 3 times before. My wife and kids have not. Its just hard for me to justify $400 through the ship for this tour. A bit pricey I think. Well maybe wont go there, I dunno. I did price one tour operator. It was $175 for up to 8 people. But yes, you have to get the ferry to Playa Del Carmen and then back to Coz. when you are done. Still thinking.

Thanks for the replies though!

Tim

Archived