Anyone Climbed Gros Piton While on a Cruise?

johnsan

Has anyone climbed Gros Piton while on a cruise? We are trying to figure out if we have time to do it. The websites I've read seem to indicate an hour each way to get there by taxi, then potentially 6 hours round trip. That would only give us an hour to play with and we really don't want to miss the departure of the ship and have to fly to the next island.

My wife and I are seasoned hikers and climb 14,000 peaks in Colorado every year, so I don't anticipate the actual hike being a problem, especially at sea level.

Just curious if anyone has real times or has done this recently on a cruise and been able to do it in the 9 hour window...

Here is a link to a post just a little bit down this board from someone who climbed Gros Piton on a land-based trip. They did it through Spencer Ambrose Tours and it included stops at a couple of water falls as well, so you may be able to customize it to allow you the time to get back to port.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1547524

We just toured with Spencer Ambrose this month, and he was talking about private tours with people who want to climb the Pitons. The female tour guide with us had climbed them several times. It sounded very do-able, but contact Spencer specifically, and ask. He was a very helpful, and interesting man.

Has anyone climbed Gros Piton while on a cruise? We are trying to figure out if we have time to do it. The websites I've read seem to indicate an hour each way to get there by taxi, then potentially 6 hours round trip. That would only give us an hour to play with and we really don't want to miss the departure of the ship and have to fly to the next island.

My wife and I are seasoned hikers and climb 14,000 peaks in Colorado every year, so I don't anticipate the actual hike being a problem, especially at sea level.

Just curious if anyone has real times or has done this recently on a cruise and been able to do it in the 9 hour window...

We climbed the Gros Piton during a land vacation in St. Lucia. We were able to make the climb up and down the Piton in 4 hours.

If you check Spencer Ambrose Tours in Trip Advisor, there are some reviews there from people who made the climb off a cruise ship. http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g147343-d1724874-Reviews-or10-Spencer_Ambrose_Tours-Castries_St_Lucia.html#REVIEWS

We climbed the Gros Piton during a land vacation in St. Lucia. We were able to make the climb up and down the Piton in 4 hours.

If you check Spencer Ambrose Tours in Trip Advisor, there are some reviews there from people who made the climb off a cruise ship. http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g147343-d1724874-Reviews-or10-Spencer_Ambrose_Tours-Castries_St_Lucia.html#REVIEWS

Thanks, DZ. That is exactly what I needed. I like the idea of the water taxi, the guide, the lunch, and the beach all included. Nice to find someone who made the climb in good time too.

We just toured with Spencer Ambrose this month, and he was talking about private tours with people who want to climb the Pitons. The female tour guide with us had climbed them several times. It sounded very do-able, but contact Spencer specifically, and ask. He was a very helpful, and interesting man.

It seems like everyone has had a good experience with Spencer Ambrose.

johnsan,

I did it on a 9 hour stop last year:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=469427

If Spencer Ambrose Tours is willing to take you via water taxi, that probably is a better option since you would have a guide the entire time.

For a 9 hour stop, it's also doable with a land taxi, but that's a lot of driving, and I would be a little nervous being that far from the boat on a tight schedule.

For a SEASONED hiker like you, I would schedule 4 hours round trip for the hike including picture stops... Add maybe an extra 20-30 minutes if you start from the beach instead of the welcome center. You probably can do it faster, but it's good to overestimate.

Don't underestimate this hike. It might not be a 14K peak, but it's quite HOT and HUMID, something that you don't get in Colorado. Take LOTS of water.

It's a hike doing at least once, despite the cost.

Dennis

johnsan,

I did it on a 9 hour stop last year:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=469427

If Spencer Ambrose Tours is willing to take you via water taxi, that probably is a better option since you would have a guide the entire time.

For a 9 hour stop, it's also doable with a land taxi, but that's a lot of driving, and I would be a little nervous being that far from the boat on a tight schedule.

For a SEASONED hiker like you, I would schedule 4 hours round trip for the hike including picture stops... Add maybe an extra 20-30 minutes if you start from the beach instead of the welcome center. You probably can do it faster, but it's good to overestimate.

Don't underestimate this hike. It might not be a 14K peak, but it's quite HOT and HUMID, something that you don't get in Colorado. Take LOTS of water.

It's a hike doing at least once, despite the cost.

Dennis

Thanks for your input, Dennis. We went ahead and booked with Spencer Ambrose. It was worth the peace of mind for us to know the whole thing is covered. He provides lunch and a stop at a beach on the way back too. So, we bit the bullet.

• 1 year later...

I did the climb 2 weeks ago and booked through Spencer Ambrose. I have a full review written about it with tons of pictures and information.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1801810&page=20

You'll have to scroll down a few posts past some comments to get to the start. As far as what to bring, I'd recommend sunscreen, bug spray, band aids, granola bars or some sort of snack, plenty of water, and also maybe weight lifting gloves. You will literally be climbing over rocks and some protection for your hands wouldn't hurt. If you book with Spencer Ambrose, leave your beach towels in the speedboat that will take you to the Pitons. They'll just weigh you down and you don't want that. Of course, bring your camera!

I hope the review helps a little. If anyone has any questions let me know.

ETA: One more thing about Spencer's tour. You arrive via speedboat from your ship, so your climb starts at the beach, NOT at the main trail start. You will have an extra 650 feet, about 30 minutes or so, to climb to get to the start, plus that extra time coming back down, and that was some of the most difficult and rugged terrain of the entire hike. Realistically, don't count on 2 hours to the top when starting from the beach.

I did the climb 2 weeks ago and booked through Spencer Ambrose. I have a full review written about it with tons of pictures and information.

!!! GAPEARL !!! Reading this now ... thanks so much for your detailed review with photos and the helpful advice about what to bring. I am booked with Ambrose also and looking forward to it. Thanks again for your reply!

Archived