Disney Fantasy - Western. Trip Report with photos

Jenn_K

(Disclaimer: You may see me around here on the Disney Forum posting under the Help@ user name. I am doing this report under my personal account that I used prior to working at Cruise Critic. I wanted to make sure it is distinguished that this was a personal trip and my opinions/views are my and my family’s own and not be reflected back as the views of Cruise Critic.)

Cast of Characters; A little something about us so you can know who you will be desktop (laptop? iPad?) cruising with.

Me, Mom/Jenn: 30something mom of 2 – self-proclaimed Disney addict still looking for a 12 step program – until then I will just keep taking DCL and WDW trips.

Dad/Rob: Also 30something dad of 2. Converted Disney addict though not from MY doing. Our 3 year old did that for him, with a little help from our 12 year old too…

I mean honestly can you not love seeing moments like these

kids.jpg

Look ! They are getting along

jasmine.jpg

lovestitch.jpg

And I am pretty sure I will be in the dog house with my daughter for this one because, you know, 12 year olds don’t hug characters

Cate is our daughter.

Cate.jpg

She is 12 and has real dreams of working on DCL when she is old enough. She has been taking dance lessons and practicing her princess wave. She has been hooked on Disney since her first trip back in 2007 however she really became addicted to DCL on our first Dream cruise. She is very outgoing and has made instant lifelong friends on every cruise we have taken thus far.

Jack is our little guy.

jack.jpg

He is 3 and is quite the pistol. He is also super outgoing (where did these kids come from?) He had his first combo WDW/DCL trip right after his second birthday. He is so taken in by the magic of it all. I think this makes it that much magical for us parents. He has an effect on all of the characters and cast members as well, just as they effect. I find that he is really amazing at engaging them in long drawn out conversations and usually come away from the meet with some type of trinket to remember them by! On our last Disney cruise, this past Jan, anytime we would walk the ship with him cast members would yell out “Jackson – where have you been, when are you coming back to the club?” No one knew our names though – haha.

And this is us, mom and dad – we are not nearly as interesting as the kids – and therefore no cutesy story about us.

robandjenn.jpg

I love reading everyone’s reviews and trip reports – and I will try to make sure to include things that I am always looking for – like tips and photos :D

We like to research, read, and research some more when planning a vacation. We are kind of perfectionists when it comes to this. Because of that, we book, cancel, change a million times before we ever have a vacation booked. We actually had this same cruise booked last year, then cancelled in to jump on a VGT opportunity this past January. Then we booked a Canadian on the Magic, and then changed to the Fantasy Nov 2013 …. And look here we are back at our original plan. It did work out for us, as we booked a dummy cruise while on our Dream cruise in Jan. We were able to move that booking to take advantage of the OBC and 10% discount. As soon as we booked this sailing again, I booked airfare and hotel ;) I wanted no backing out.

We tried to surprise our kids on Christmas Eve with the Dream cruise. It was such a well-planned out surprise, complete with a photo/poem scavenger hunt and ended with a call from Ariel. It was such an utter failure that I decided we were not doing anything involved this time. I simply had some post cards sent to the children from “Mickey and Minnie”. The day they arrived, while the kids were sitting at the counter enjoying their after school snack, I just dropped the post cards in front of them and waited.

Yes, I know Jack can’t read yet but he could sense his sister’s excitement.

postcards.jpg

If you are anything like me, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT book a GTY room. The wait will kill you. It does pay off though. On our last Dream cruise we took advantage of a VGT promo – which meant we were guaranteed to get a verandah somewhere on the ship. We did not find out until 14 days prior to sailing what our room was. It was torture; however it turned out quite nice for us. We got a great rate on the room and ended up scoring a 4A Family Oceanview with Verandah. The extra space was nice and I loved the round tub/shower combo.

This time, we booked an 8C GTY – because we wanted to try out an oceanview room and only GTY was available. I honestly checked my reservation every few hours to see if I had a room assignment yet. Then, because I am no good with long waits, we decided we wanted a verandah, so we switched to a 7A GTY. Seriously, whenever I have to wait, I change something. 45 days out, we found out our room.

We scored a nice 5A room, deck 9 AFT right at the elevator bank. GREAT location.

Edited by Jenn_K

The day is here!! Travel Day anyway. We always fly in a day ahead of time, you know, just in case a hurricane, snow storm, or alien attack decides to delay our flight. Our pre-cruise plans? Staying at the Hyatt Regency in MCO. Renting a car for a few hours with the sole purpose of purchasing some adult beverages since Disney has such an awesome beverage policy. Disney Transfers from the airport the next day.

So, we hop in the car and go go go !!!

onourway.jpg

To Winner Parking – right outside of the Philly airport. They drive you to the airport in your car, drop you off with your luggage, then drive your car back to their lot. When you get back, they pick you up at the airport in your car and you can either leave them at the airport (white glove service) or drive them back to the lot. Either way it was slightly cheaper than parking at the airport and very convenient.

Security was easy, so we decided to get some lunch, watch the planes arrive/depart, and just hang out until our plane arrived.

phillyairport.jpg

Fast Forward, we land at MCO (Orlando for the non-airport code speakers) after an uneventful flight. We are staying right in the airport so all we need to do is get our bags and check in at the Hyatt. Check In was a breeze – and a bellhop was waiting for us to help us to our room with our caravan of bags.

NOTE for anyone staying at the Hyatt MCO: Make sure if you are taking DCL Transfers the next morning to let them know. They will add your name to the luggage pick up list and give you instructions on what to do.

Hyatt_Instructions_page1-1.jpg

Room was clean and spacious with a nicely furnished bathroom. We had a balcony with a runway view. The kids thought that was neat to watch. By now mama needed some food, and a drink, to calm the pre-vacation nerves. We headed to Chili’s, right there in the airport, for some appetizers and margaritas :D The food was normal Chili’s fare, kid-pleasing, and the margarita shaker was HUGE.

chilimargarita.jpg

After dinner, hubby went on a small adventure to pick up some gin, wine, and champagne for our stateroom. Don’t trust your GPS … unless you have one that has an avoid shady areas function. Poor guy, 3 hours later he finally came back, unscathed, but not with the best selection of wine/champagne. Live and learn.

To bed! We have an early day if we want to be first on the ship. Good night MCO.

runwayview.jpg

Edited by Jenn_K

Okay - a bit more then.

We left our room a bit before 8am. I had picked up some fruit and pastries from Starbucks the night before for breakfast. All of a sudden, embarkation day arrived and I decided we needed to be first on the bus. Who knows where this urge came from? The original plan was to just get down there as early but we weren’t worried about being first on the ship. Things changed and I had tunnel vision with thoughts of getting on that ship! I schlepped the whole family down to the DCL desk in the airport and waited – since the desk doesn’t open until 8:30.

So we sat and waited a bit with a few other early birdies. Then more people arrived. They did not sit. They looked they were going to line up – so I did the same ….. Well, sort of. I pushed my hubby to line up! Get up there man, I want that first bus/boarding number. When did I get so pushy and crazy?

When you use DCL transport from the airport – you check in right there. You get your boarding number and your key to the world card. Once you get to the port you just need to go through security, and then hang out until your boarding number is called. Easy Peasy

We were maybe 3rd in line – I wanted that darn #2 boarding number. It was like a competition now. Our check in cast member was much slower than the others. People who were behind us now had boarding passes and KTTW cards before me – because it took pokey 10 years to get to the printer and back. Then he slowly asked us “DO YOU WANT TO BE ON THE FIRST BUS?” Seriously, spit it out and finish your sentence. “Yes!” so finally we get our boarding and KTTW cards. Then I could relax, perhaps, until it was bus boarding time.

boardingpass.jpg

checkin-keytotheworld-1.jpg

We wait until about 9:30 and hopped on the first DCL bus to leave for Port Canaveral. People starting lining up for this too, and I am not sure why. You were issued a boarding pass for a specific bus. So, really no point to line up except to stress me out.

Guess who did NOT take a photo of the bus? This girl. Too excited to get on I suppose. I took fewer photos on this vacation than any other. :(

Bus ride went by fast, and soon we saw the Fantasy come into view – I was a little teary eyed because well, I am a dork.

I also did NOT take a picture of when she came into view. I tried – but not easy to do from the Disney Bus, while your eyes are teary, and you are snuggling with your 3 year old.

It looked something like this though (courtesy of our last two cruises – this is the Dream)

dream2.jpg

dream.jpg

Off the bus, through security, and upstairs we go. Since we have our KTTW cards already we don’t have to do anything. We did stop by the supervisor’s desk to see if there were any upgrades available BUT the price wasn’t that great of a deal/discount so we skipped on it.

Look, we got to the port so early I got a picture, with the doors still closed, and no gang of people waiting for their number to be called

ears.jpg

Around 11:15 or so boarding #2 was called and we were on!! Yay, the start of what we hope to be our greatest vacation yet.

We did what seems to be our DCL routine now. We went to Guest Services to book tastings – this time it was Champagne and to apply some Disney Visa reward $$ to our account.

Now I remember why I was eager to be on early. We had read on the boards about the ship offering Remy brunch/lunch. It was unadvertised on the ship but from what we read it was in a pilot trial phase. There was only one, offered on the last sea day. This! This is why I was nuts – I wanted that brunch. Hubby did run up to Remy after guest services BUT no one was there yet.

While hubs was checking out Remy - went up to Cabanas – but we were so early they were not even open yet! They open at 12. All lunch venues open at that time, so we had to wait a few minutes.

Look who was parked next to us, her last sailing before dry-dock

carneydream.jpg

That’s Carnival Dream. She looks like a really neat ship. I like how that ship has Cove Balcony rooms. Need to try one day.

I believe the Carnival Ecstasy was at the other dock. I don’t have any pictures of her.

Lunch Time! We were the first people in Cabanas. What is with me and being all competitive this cruise? Hopefully I knock that off – it is very stressful and so unlike me. I had loved the food in Cabanas on our past two cruises and this time I felt the same way. Most of the menu items were similar to items we had in the past as well. Pretty sure the salsa chicken I had for lunch was the same thing I ate for embarkation lunch on the Dream in January.

lunch.jpg

Carnival Dream is still there! Look at that waterpark. Fun times.

Being early also has other perks – the pools are EMPTY.

After lunch, Jack and I both changed into swimsuits and enjoyed the Mickey pool with a just a few other people. Hubs was doing another run to Remy at this time.

embarkswim.jpg

And of course we had the first of many ice cream cones, for the kids anyway.

embarkicecream.jpg

After this we realized Jack needed a nap, Cate wanted to check out Edge to see if she knew any of the counselors, and I had a meet to attend!

Edited by Jenn_K

Hmmm...you live near Philadelphia, you love all things Disney and are extremely competitive. If I didn't know better, I would think you were me. Are you, perhaps, a fan of the greatest sports team ever, the Philadelphia Flyers? If so, we need to become BFFs. If not, I still love your TR and want more!

Nice photos. Can't wait to see more.

P.S. You're not the only one that gets um, foggy when you see the ship for the first time.

Do you get, um, foggy when you hear the horn too ? Not joking, youtube videos of the horn even push me over the edge!

P.P.S. Did you get to expense the cruise? I WISH !! Haha, nope this was a family vacation - no work at all! I did book while on board my last cruise SO I did have the reduced deposit/on board credit/ 10% off - that helped take the sting out a little bit.

Next installment will be added shortly :)

Hmmm...you live near Philadelphia, you love all things Disney and are extremely competitive. If I didn't know better, I would think you were me. Are you, perhaps, a fan of the greatest sports team ever, the Philadelphia Flyers? If so, we need to become BFFs. If not, I still love your TR and want more!

I grew up in Philly :) Definitely a Flyers fan - although I have to admit I am not a huge follower of sports in general. Mostly because I don't watch much tv - always something else i could be doing;)

LOVING this review!! You have a beautiful family and I just love your excitement! Our first Disney cruise is on the Fantasy in Feb and I cannot wait. Looking forward to more of your review!!

Thank you! You really will love the Fantasy.

Didn't you mean The New York Rangers ? :D

While Rob settled Jack down for a nap, I took Cate to Open House at Edge. Lance the Great greeted us. Coincidently, my daughter was dubbed Cate the Great on our last cruise by youth services. This broke the ice between them, and probably helped disband some of the sadness she was feeling knowing her favorite counselor of all time, Jack, was still on the Dream. Plus, there actually was a youth counselor in the club that Cate did know from our last Dream sailing. It is always comforting to see familiar faces.

After visiting Edge, Cate and I headed down to La Piazza for the Meet. A good amount of people showed up, but I feel like I was a bit rushed because Muster shortly followed. I didn’t get to talk to as many people as I would have liked. It was my first meet, too, and honestly a little overwhelming trying to place faces to user names and know who to talk to.

Some photos from La Piazza:

IMG_3872.jpg

A neat vespa and sidecar – complete with lights/sound

IMG_3877.jpg

And a cute little café table

Meet TIPS: make use of the cruise critic name tag template for your meet! We did not use name tags – and I feel like it would have made things easier. Also, have someone “in charge” to run the meet. Possibly include 5 mins or so in the beginning of introductions before breaking off to mingle. We all just showed up, sat around the lounge, and chatted – it was a bit disjointed and I am sure I missed a few people whom I would have liked to say “hi” to.

Muster on our sailing was LOOONNG. I think there were a few “missing” folks that delayed the start of the drill. In addition, since 53% of our sailing was from Venezuela (or other South American countries) they did the drill in both English and Spanish. I want to say it was around 45 mins pushing on an hour. This made us RUSH to get to the sail away show, and also showed us the start of the CROWDS. Even though this was the least crowded sailing (I heard reports of 3100 pax) I have ever been on, it felt the most crowded. I feel like there were a lot of people with the WDW mentality on this cruise. What I mean by this is staking claim to your spot for whatever show or character meet at least an hour or more ahead of time. This was different from our two cruises on the Dream, where showing up 10-15 mins ahead of a deck party, for example, still got you an okay spot.

Edited by Help@