A Question for Experts on the LA Area

MEricksen

My wife and I will be cruising out of San Pedro on 11/20/05. We intend to fly into the LA airport on the morning of 11/17, and we will be staying in Long Beach. We have not been in the LA area before. We live in Florida so seeing hills, mountains, and cliffs is a treat for us.

I was considering renting a car at the LA airport and driving through the Santa Monica Mountains to Malibu and then driving south along the water. It seems to me that a drive like that would be very interesting with many beautiful sites to see. I am not sure if I can continue along the water to Long Beach or if at some point I have to drive inland. I hear that traffic in LA is terrible so possibly my idea will end up being more aggravating than enjoyable.

I was wondering if anyone could comment on my idea or provide some free advice.

Thanks

There is no really direct way to drive along the beach from LAX south. Houses are built right on the beach, and many tall apt. buildings and condos. Pacific Coast Hwy (PCH, Sepulveda) is the main road and it has very few views of the beach. You could go north through Santa Monica and eventually to Malibu (you don't go through the Santa Monica Mountains to get to Malibu...they are the backdrop to this stretch of beach, but on a weekend (esp as it gets warmer) this will start to have a lot of traffic.

A nicer stretch of road you could take would be around the Palos Verdes Pennisula south of LAX. Drive south on Sepulveda from the airport until you get to Redondo Beach (don't turn left onto Sepulveda...stay on PCH). Turn right onto Beryl and take this to Catalina (turn left). This will take you along the Redondo Beach and Torrance city beach area...You can park on the street and walk along the beach if you want, or stop and watch the surfers.

Turn right on Palos Verdes Drive and follow this to where it splits into Palos Verdes Drive West and North. Be sure to take the West branch. Once you are past the small shopping center that looks like an Italian plaza, turn right on Via Almar then on Via Arroyo and then onto Paseo del Mar. You can take this to Malaga Cove where there is an overlook and a good place to go tide pooling at low tide or watch the surfers again. Take Paseo del Mar south to where it joins up with Palos Verdes Dr. West again and go south (right). There are many elegant homes along along this area . If you want to be right next to the cliffs, cut over to Paseo del Mar again when it is available. Past this there are lots of places to stop and walk out to the cliffs to see the ocean.

Once you get to the intersection with Hawthrone you can stop to eat lunch or dinner at Admiral Risty's (great views of Catalina on a really clear day). Keep going south on PV Dr. West, which will turn into PV Dr. South. This take you right past Donald Trump's new golf course and resort (quite controversial in that area).

The road beyond here becomes quite bumpy and twisty due to numerous land slides and repairs over the years, but it is safe. If you are an architecture fan, stop at the Wayfarer's Chapel which was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Stay on Palos Verdes Drive East as it turns inland and up the hill. When it finally crosses Palos Verdes Drive North, turn right. You can take this to West Anaheim, and then onto the 110 Freeway south. This takes you to the San Pedro Cruise ship terminal (before the Vincent Thomas Bridge) or across the bridge to Long Beach. This is one of my favorite day drives in the southern California area.

Check out Google Maps or Mapquest for a map of this route.

Hi Splinter...You seem to have a lot of good info.I was wondering if you or anyone else could recommend a nice beachfront hotel between LAX and Long Beach for after our cruise.We are cruising out of San Pedro but don't know if we should stay there before the cruise or in Long Beach. Any help would be appreciated Thanks

There are many hotels and motels along Sepulveda south of the airport, but few right on the beach. If you want to stay on the beach, then I would recommend the Beach House in Hermosa Beach. It is not cheap, but you walk out the front door and are on the beach, and you can also walk to the trendy shops and restaurants in the Hermosa Beach area.

If you want to stay near the port, many find the Sheraton-San Pedro a good deal, with a free shuttle to the port, but it is not on a beach (Cabrillo Beach is the closest swimming beach to the port).

I took your instructions for driving south from the LA airport to longbeach, and drew the route on a map. Wow, what an interesting drive. Thanks for the advice. It takes a lot of time to write such an in depth reply, and I want you to know your efforts are appreciated.

Thanks Again

Mark Ericksen

Celebrity Summit

Panama Canal

11/17/05

Thanks for the hotel info .The Beach house sounds great ....but a little higher than my budget.Thinking about Crowne Plaza in Redondo Beach.Any info on this hotel..... Thanks again.

It is OK. Right next to the King Harbor/Redondo Beach pier. You need to walk several blocks south or north to get to a nice beach from the hotel. You can eat on the pier (funky seafood or Italian) or at Ruby's Diner which is in the same block.

• 1 month later...

Sea View in at the Beach in Manhattan Beach. It is on Highland Ave about 2 blocks up a hill from the beach. I live just south of there and drive past it every day on my way to work. There is a great breakfast place nearby (The Local Yolk) and a great mexican dive down the street (El Tarasco). There is a nicer mexican restaurant nearby too (Panchos)

The Crown Plaza is in a good area for restaurants. Like Splinter said, it is a few blocks to get to the beach but definately possible. There are also a couple of chain hotels on Pacific Coast Highway in Hermosa Beach. I believe one is a Holiday Inn Express. Most of them are new (within the past couple of years) but I cannot remember names.

Splinter, those are great directions through Palos Verdes

Archived