Ensanada - has anyone embarked there directly (not used ship buses from San Diego)?

Hi,

I'm looking for information from people who have made their own way to Ensenada for a cruise. I have some questions about the port facilities and the time to arrive for check-in. Is there anyone with experience with direct check-in in Ensanada? Specifically with Celebrity, but info from any other line could be helpful.

Thanks, fingers crossed...

Good choice...there's just so many unpredictable things related to the border crossing, the trip south, getting past port security, etc. If it were anywhere else it might be different...but as soon as you arrive at the border you will enter third-world conditions with some sad and desperate poverty. It's a stark contrast to San Diego just 30 minutes north.

Fortunately, much of the drug-related violence has moved elsewhere and there are not as many safety issues as 5-10 years ago. In Ensenada there's petty crime so just use the precautions you'd use anywhere. You might be approached by children begging. Please don't give them anything...it encourages them to beg rather than being in school. I don't mean to slam Mexico...the people are warm and welcoming, and appreciate tourists making the effort to visit.

Heck, it's a stark contrast to San Ysidro, the San Diego suburb right over the line, and San Ysidro isn't particularly nice. But I second Mexico, despite its poverty and problems, its people are friendly and welcoming and I wouldn't have any qualms about going back to Ensenada or even TJ myself.

We took the X transfer from San Diego to Ensenada. It would not be something I would try to do on my own. Our bus had a slight delay at the border (even though the buses were to have been cleared ahead of time). Also we were following another bus and we were both stopped by the local police -never knew why. Checkin for us was at the Sheraton Hotel.

The bus you got was luck of the draw. The trip was about 2 1/2 hours. As long as you know about the transfer you won't be surprised. Some people get priority boarding numbers - we were in AQ and our wait was very short. The buses started leaving about noon.

We took the X transfer from San Diego to Ensenada. It would not be something I would try to do on my own. Our bus had a slight delay at the border (even though the buses were to have been cleared ahead of time). Also we were following another bus and we were both stopped by the local police -never knew why.

It's pretty common to be stopped at military or police checkpoints. The military has taken over police duties in many areas, since police in many areas were corrupt, and the honest ones (including many in the TJ and Ensenada areas) were assassinated. The checkpoints are a bit unsettling...the soldiers wear masks because if they're identified they may be killed, and they are often in their late teens, toting machine guns, and just as scared as the people they are stopping.

No particular rhyme or reason to the stops...sometimes simply because they can, other times to shake down people for money ($50 bills are called "Mexican Legal Documents" for a reason!)

Makes me glad I go on the Princess Hawaiian cruises (and leave from LA). The bus trip through the border must take even longer nowadays with the Sequester.

I don't think there's any issues going south into Mexico, but agree going north into the USA is another matter. I've read that even pre-sequester all passengers get off on the Mexico side, collect their luggage, and walk through Immigration and Customs. The bus waits on the US side and they re-load.

My advise, after being on the May 6 transfer pm Solstice, is that if you are not Elite, and not staying in a room rated CC or higher, and thus entitled to "Priority" transfer number, is to check in as early as possible, then get a cab from the front side of the hotel and go have a nice lunch somewhere for a couple of hours. If you have a number under 20, it probably won't be too long a wait. If more than 20, no point in waiting around there.

Once you come back, if your bus boarding has already left, you will have priority. If it hasn't, hopefully your wait won't be too long.

Once you are boarded onto a bus, look around. If the bus looks clean and if it has a US DOT registration number on the bus, you are probably safe. If it isn't clean, and looks extra gross, please bring it to the attention of the people working at Check-in there. The horror stories from the last trip were primarily from people who sold have gotten off the bus them moment they sat down and they didn't, but instead kept their mouths shut.

We checked in at the Sheraton, and would have left the hotel for lunch, but the people we were with didn't want to due to their little one. DH and I already decided, however, that we'd be willing to do that trip again in spite of a few minor problems.

My advise, after being on the May 6 transfer pm Solstice, is that if you are not Elite, and not staying in a room rated CC or higher, and thus entitled to "Priority" transfer number, is to check in as early as possible, then get a cab from the front side of the hotel and go have a nice lunch somewhere for a couple of hours. If you have a number under 20, it probably won't be too long a wait. If more than 20, no point in waiting around there.

Once you come back, if your bus boarding has already left, you will have priority. If it hasn't, hopefully your wait won't be too long.

Thank you, that is exactly what we'll have to do since we're in a plain old balcony and are not elite. Just accept that day 1 is a write off and enjoy the rest of the cruise.

Archived