** San Pedro... Getting Out **

rykersdad

Need tons of help here..... we disembark on a Sunday morning. Would there be taxis waiting there? Does anyone know of a car rental agency close by that would be open on a Sunday? Or do we have to taxi to LAX to get a car rental?

I don't know any companies that have close-by locations for rental cars that are open on Sunday except for at the Long Beach airport. You could take either a cab (plenty at the port) or SuperShuttle there to get a rental car. I know that Enterprise and Budget are open there 7 days/week. I couldn't get onto the Alamo site, but they may be there also.

Budget in downtown Long Beach on Ocean Blvd. (about 5 miles) is also open on Sunday.

As always Splinter... thanks a million.

Any idea if it would be quicker/cheaper to take cab to LAX or LngBeach to get a car rental? I've rationalized it out, and figure the distance/costs would be about the same, therefore... head to LAX as we will eventually be going that way to head north.... does this sound right to you?

Another question... does Shuttle have set times they leave, or do they run every 15 min or so?

Any nightmare areas we should avoid while heading north to San Francisco?

We think that we're heading north using 101 to San Luisobispo, then taking 101 to Monterey area, rather than Hwy 1. I imagine the driving is similar to Toronto during rush hour..... my son has warned me not to get lost in the Compton area..... (our luck, we will .......:eek: )

Long Beach airport is much closer than LAX. If you are taking a cab, I would guess at least twice as much to LAX.

You can make reservations for SuperShuttle, which assure you that you will get a ride when you need it, but they are ubiquitous at the cruise ship terminal. You will have to ask to find one going to LAX unless you have a reservation though. They go to many other locations, not just the airport.

When driving from the port, or from either of the above airports, get on the 405 freeway (San Diego freeway) going north. You are no where near Compton. You should stay on the freeway through Inglewood though. Once you get to West LA (see UCLA on the right) you are fine. Go over the pass (Getty Center on your left) and take the 101 to Santa Barbara right at the bottom of the pass. The traffic can be heavy here even on a Sunday. Once you are past Ventura, the traffic will lighten up a lot, and you should not have any traffic at all from then on until you get to the San Francisco Bay area.

I still think you will regret it if you don't turn off 101 in San Luis Obispo and drive the Big Sur coast. It is a safe road, although 2 lane most of the way, with many turn-outs so you can stop and admire the view. Lunch at Nepenthe is a special treat. If you have driven the Hana road in Hawaii, this is nothing as bad as that (no one lane bridges, etc.). If you are a competent driver, you should be fine, and will see one of the most beautiful drives in the world. If you take 101 from San Luis Obispo to Monterey you will see miles and miles of farm land and hills...OK, but certainly not unique or especially beautiful.

You can get back to Hwy. 101 from Monterey (at Salinas) or take Hwy. 1 up to Santa Cruz and then drive over the hills via Hwy 17 to San Jose and get to the airport or to San Francisco.

.... this has been such a huge debate for us for months.... thought we were going to go it alone, without the friends, but after a few bottles of wine, and alot of "blunt" talking.... we are now committed to doing HWY 1 all the way. I am tired of all the on again off again stuff, so am sticking to this plan!... I am going to give in to them all and "wing it", hotels and all....... if I end up sleeping in the car, they'll be the ones to suffer my wrath!:rolleyes:

coastal ca ... here we come. Is Hearst Castle worth it? I"ve read their web site, and it looks like you have to park your car, and take a bus up the driveway? Would 2 hours be plenty for just one of their tours? Or am I way off?

Friends have arranged a car for us free at the port:confused: One of those "calling in favor deals"... I am sceptical if it will materialize, so will print out directions for Long Beach Airport car rentals! Thanks for the ton of info.....:)

P.S... what's the price of your gas lately?

Need tons of help here..... we disembark on a Sunday morning. Would there be taxis waiting there? Does anyone know of a car rental agency close by that would be open on a Sunday? Or do we have to taxi to LAX to get a car rental?

There are always tons of taxis at the port.

There is a car rental at the Sheraton hotel across the street from the port, but I do not know which company (s) they have there. You might call them or email them to find out- they ( Sheraton) does have a shuttle to the hotel

and I am sure that some rental cars do port pick up.

Good luck.. Here is the Sheraton info..

http://*****.com/9f5bs

You will be pressing it to get through tour 1 in just two hours. Plan on three. Definately purchase tickets ahead of time (I believe you can do this on-line now). If you just show up, you may have to wait all day if it is during vacation season or on a weekend. You won't have time for the museum, so it would help for you to read up a little about Hearst before you go so you appreciate what you see more. They usually recommend the museum prior to the tour. The house it on top of a hill, while the visitors center is at the bottom of the hill. No parking at the top, which is why they bus you up there and back. If you are lucky and have a clear day, the view from the hill is spectacular.

Gas has been running between $2.35-2.50 lately. Definately gas up in San Luis Obispo or Moro Bay before you start up Hwy 1 from there. Few gas stations past Cambria, and very expensive. This should get you to Monterey just fine.

Archived