Convenient hotel in Sydney

PennyB

Hello !

My DB and I are staying post cruise for 2 days in Sydney. We want a clean and convenient hotel to major attractions. Having said that, what area in Sydney would be the best area ? Hotel? Must sees? :)

Hello !

My DB and I are staying post cruise for 2 days in Sydney. We want a clean and convenient hotel to major attractions. Having said that, what area in Sydney would be the best area ? Hotel? Must sees? :)

We are cruising next month (Sydney to New Zealand) and staying pre-cruise at the Sofitel Wentworth, which is in the heart of Sydney CBD. A short walk to most major attractions e.g. The Rocks, Circular Quay, Darling Harbour, Museum & Art Gallery, ferry ride to Taronga Zoo, Manly, etc. We scored this hotel at $165 per night. Check out accommodation website http://www.wotif.com.au and select "Sydney CBD". If your ship will be docked at Overseas Passenger Terminal you will be looking for accommodation closer to Circular Quay. There are maps on this site which will help with location of each accommodation.

Enjoy your stay in Sydney.

I second the idea of the apartments in Sydney. They are run just like hotels, usually quite reasonable in price, and the rooms are larger as they start at studios and go up. The only downside I saw was that you don't have room service or an attached restaurant. As you will be in downtown Sydney, you'll find plenty of places to eat nearby.

We stayed at the Meriton Pitt St. apartment. We originally booked a one bedroom high floor unit, but we got upgraded to a three bedroom which was HUGE. You just go around the corner to get to Town Hall Station, which will drop you off at Circular Quay for the Opera House, Sydney Bridge, etc. Woolworth's which is a grocery store is around the corner from the apartment as well.

Having spent a lot of time in Sydney, I would say that a hotel in Circular Quay/The Rocks would be my first choice for location. Second choice would be the city center (CBD) and third choice would be Darling Harbour. (I have stayed in all three locations.)

However, any of these locations would be convenient for the typical sightseeing one does in Sydney.

we have stayed in a few hotels in Sydney including the Hilton, but our favourite by far for location is the Ibis on Darling Harbour. Very small rooms but ideal for a pre cruise hotel. We are staying there for 3 nights pre cruise in Dec. We just love the location.

Any opinions on the Hyde Park Inn in Sydney? We have this tentatively booked for one night pre-cruise. Might switch to a five star hotel in the Circular Quay through Hotwire but that is a bit of Russian Roulette. But the Hyde Park Inn seems pretty good for one night.

Any opinions on the Hyde Park Inn in Sydney? We have this tentatively booked for one night pre-cruise. Might switch to a five star hotel in the Circular Quay through Hotwire but that is a bit of Russian Roulette. But the Hyde Park Inn seems pretty good for one night.

The Hyde Park Inn is in a great location opposite Hyde Park, which is in the centre of the city. The studio room would be ideal for 2 persons and they also provide a light continental breakfast. The Deluxe Studio would be the ideal choice as you get a lovely view over Hyde Park. You are within minutes walking distance to shopping. It would be a leisurely walk down to Circular Quay or alternatively a short taxi ride.

Why pay double the price (for a 5* hotel) - you can use the money saved elsewhere, perhaps shopping at David Jones department store which is about 5 minutes walk away.

The Hyde Park Inn is in a great location opposite Hyde Park' date=' which is in the centre of the city. The studio room would be ideal for 2 persons and they also provide a light continental breakfast. The Deluxe Studio would be the ideal choice as you get a lovely view over Hyde Park. You are within minutes walking distance to shopping. It would be a leisurely walk down to Circular Quay or alternatively a short taxi ride.

Why pay double the price (for a 5* hotel) - you can use the money saved elsewhere, perhaps shopping at David Jones department store which is about 5 minutes walk away.[/quote']

Thanks, that helps a lot. It sees like we made a good choice. If I do switch to Hotwire it would only be if I could get a much better price for a 5 star! Right now prices for a 5 star on Hotwire are about the same as the Hyde Park Inn. But about 30 days beforehand the prices may come down quite a bit. But if they don't come down at least I have a reservation all locked up. The only bad thing with Hotwire is you just don't know what specific property you are going to get.

I would highly recommend staying down at Circular Quay, the atmosphere is great, and very close to the harbour, Opera House, Ferries, and just wondering around the historic rocks area.

We stayed last December at the Marriott Hotel, which is also within walking distance of the Overseas Passenger Terminal.

There is many hotels in the area. We have previously stayed at the Westin Hotel in the city centre. We enjoyed our stay more down in the Circular Quay area, had much more to offer then staying right in the middle of the city. The Harbour is a magical place, and so many different things going on.

Archived