That ONE Picture........

gumballz

What's that one photo that you've taken on a cruise that you're SO glad you took.......OR.......the one photo you WISH you had taken but didn't?

I'm a nut when it comes to taking photos. I'm looking for any and all ideas so I don't regret not taking a photo of something when I get home. Thanks! :)

We had no idea that we should line up and let them take our picture at every back drop and we kept walking away from them. On formal night we only posed for one picture and it never showed up in the gallery, so the only picture we have of my mom and myself on formal night they took at the dinner table. So for our next cruise we will let them take any picture they want. We can always not buy them!

And I wish I would have taken more of us on the ship. In different places. But my favorite is the one of us at the dolphin encounter!

My favorite photo of all times, is the one of my husband (now deceased)and I and our 2 boys that the ship photographer took on a formal night on the stairs in the atrium. Even though we didn't "like" having our picture taken, I am so glad we did it. Seize the moment!

How about getting a picture of the ship in the background anchored down out in the water with everyone posing, or just having fun on the beach if one of your stops is a private island? Those are my favorites. They looked great and it wasn’t a fake background.

The ones I'm really glad I took were while sailing into NY harbor at the end of a transatlantic crossing on Sept. 10, 2001. I got some really good shots of the WTC about 24 hours before they were hit. However, they are kind of eerie, as it was a little cloudy that morning and there were clouds around the towers at about the point of impact. I was using a 35mm at the time, and my biggest regret is that I removed the date/time stamp from the camera 14 days prior at the beginning of the voyage (in case I got any shots worthy of blowing up). Well, I did, and little did I know they would be ones where I wished I'd kept the date/time stamp.

Christine

I am also a camera nut and I like to "document" the whole cruise. We, too, take as many formal or backdrop pictures as possible (we might like one)! I like getting onboard early and running around taking pictures of the ship. I do a slide show when I get home and it's so nice to be able to re-live the trip and remember what the whole ship looks like.

Here's an example of my documentation. You must have ActiveX and high speed internet to view unless you have all day! There is sound as well - just click on the black box to play:

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewshow.html?fl=2275403&alb=0

I love taking my own photos, and even tho I really do not like the fake background photo shoots anywhere on ship or in a studio I have to say that the ones of us that were taken on formal night in front of the fake picture of the ship are our favorties! Guess this is one of those times that you never say "never". I have some really fun scrapbook pages that show us on different ships with this same pose, It is great to see how we change every year. Or at least to see how my "weight" changes every year!

I have a hard time taking pics of the inside of the ship they just do not show it the way it really looks. Not sure what lens I should be using, anyone got any good suggestions on lens that they take.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not much of a photographer, but there is one photo of which I'm very proud. We were in St. Thomas on the SS Norway, about 4 months before the 2003 accident that put her out of service for good. Returning to the ship on a tender, I noticed that the crew of the Norway was testing a dozen or more of the ship's lifeboats. It was quite a sight. Here was this big blue ship sitting there at anchor with all of these (relatively) small orange boats buzzing around her like ducklings around their mother. I snapped the photo from about 100 yards out, and it turned out to be probably the best I've ever taken. And there were no people whatsoever in the picture...just "ducks".:)

Jack

My boyfriend and I recently came off the Glory - western route. I had a basic camera on me and it gave me so many problems during the cruise I thought I wouldn't have any decent pictures for my album. Luckily I was wrong...I ended up with many great pics but one in particular is my favorite. I took it in the port of Cozumel. The walls in the port are painted in traditional Mexican colors which make them look vibrant and alive. My picture is of a stairwell placed in between two yellow walls. It sounds basic but the shot looks very professional becuase u get a sense of distance and dimension from the narrow stairs and the yellow walls. I never thought my basic 35m camera could take such a great shot.

• 2 weeks later...

I have some GREAT photos of us posed against the ships at various ports. Luckily there is always someone who will take a pic for you when you are travelling as a couple. (Remember to spread the hapiness - I always offer to snap other couples together on the ship - it is usually greatly appreciated and is a wonderful ice breaker too!!)

ONE PHOTO TIP - Take your camera with you to the lifeboat drill, and get fun snaps of everyone in their life-jackets! ;)

I was going to just bring disposable cameras on our cruise because I don't want to lose our nice camera but I know our good camera will take such wonderful shots and it has a zoom. How safe is it to bring a nice camera as opposed to just using all disposables?

3 favorite pics:

3-one of the Serenade while in port next to another ship-forget which, but it is from the front while standing on the pier. it looks between them, with few people in the way. pretty impressive at how big they are.

2-one of Atlantis resort from afar. sun hits it just right

1-St. Thomas pier and cove area-from a helicopter. shows just how beautiful the area is, and how massive a ship can be-bigger than some hotels.

• 2 weeks later...

But would love it if some of you could scan those pictures in and post them??? I am a camera nut too, infact that is what I am searching for this week is the water-proof bags for the camera and camcorder, I am worried about humidity ruining the outcome of everything!!???

I hope to get one of these perfect pictures you all have, I am sure I will how do you get a bad picture in such beautiful countries??:)

Fun thread hope it keeps going, I will check back to see if any of the pictures gets scanned in to view!!

Remember to spread the hapiness - I always offer to snap other couples together on the ship - it is usually greatly appreciated and is a wonderful ice breaker too!! QUOTE]

Be Nice - make sure you ask the singles too! I'm always asking others to snap as shot of me when I'm on vacation - otherwise all I have is shots of stuff without me! You're right - makes a good icebeaker when I see that really cute guy by himself too!

• 3 weeks later...

Another photo nut here! Ever since "The Love Boat" was on TV, I've always dreamed of being on a cruise ship with the man of my dreams and getting that perfect photo of the two of us on deck with a beautiful sunset in the background. So, every cruise, DH and I pose for that shot, and some wonderful stranger obliges and takes our photo. We've had some good ones, but not "the" great one. Oh, well. I guess we'll just have to keep taking cruises until we get that perfect photo! <grin>

I organized a family reunion aboard the Carnival Imagination about four years ago, and 29 members of my husband's family were there. On the formal night, we arranged for the photographer to take our photo. All the women stood in a line in front of the staircase, and the men were arranged on the stairs. What a wonderful photo! We all have copies of it, and it was the best souvenir we could have possibly gotten of our reunion.

Hi Everyone

Wow! This seems to be the thread for me. I'm another one of those folks who feels the need to take a million pictures. I was on the 8/14 Grandeur cruise to Bermuda and had a great time running around with my camera. I took about 600 shots with my digital camera and am still trying to pick out the ones I want to have printed. Last year I went (also on Grandeur) to the Bahamas and Florida. I think I took about 700 photos and printed about 200. I look back at these pictures all the time and am so glad I took them, even though I annoyed my teenage daughter (who is my cruise buddy - hubby and other teenage daughter aren't interested in cruising) to no end.

Some of my favorites are ones that I asked strangers to take of the two of us. Like some of you guys said, everyone I have asked has always been very happy to take our picture for us. I also drag my daughter to have our picture taken by the photographers on board. I agree that some of the backdrops look too fake (but I bought the pictures anyway.) The best picture we had taken by the photogragher on formal night was without one of the backdrops. We stood by the railing and the centrum area was in the background. Unfortunately you can see other people in the distance, but I liked that it was a "real" background. I think they do a nice job of the candids they take, too. I especially liked the pictures they took of us on Royal Caribbean's private island because the scenery was so beautiful.

I tried to get up to watch the sunrise at least once or twice. I can't say that I've really taken very good pictures of that, but it's still worth printing a couple. It's nice though to walk around the ship then and take pictures since not too many people are in the way.

Some of my favorite shots of my daughter are the ones when I didn't have to annoy her by having her pose. On the first formal night of last year's cruise, she was so tired by the end of the evening that she fell asleep in her dress. I love that picture of her all snuggled in bed in her beautiful black dress.

We are planning to go back on the same cruise to Bermuda next year, so as I think of pictures I wish I had taken I'm going to try to write them down. Now I'll probably not manage to do this but I'm going to try.:p I know I'd like to take some before actually getting on the ship, which I haven't done before. I wish I had one of us standing in front of the ship with all of our luggage. (The porter looked at us and asked if we were at the right cruise. He seemed to think we had way too much luggage for a 5 night cruise.) Both years I took pictures in the lounge as we waited to depart the ship, but I don't have any while we waited to board. As boring as it might sound, I think I'd like a picture of that just for the time frame bit.

Gumballz - I would definitely take my best camera if I were you. I took a couple of disposables last year as well as my good digital and my OK film camera. There was no contest between them. I even took my good camera to the beach and didn't have any problems. And I loved the digital bit because I could see right away if I got the shot or if I needed to redo it.

Sanditoes4 - That's a good idea to protect your cameras from the humidity. I haven't had any problems with my regular cameras, although I did put them in ziplock bags when we went to the beach. But I took my video camera this year, and it copped a major attitude. It kept pausing because of condensation. I had never had that happen before. And when it paused, it didn't clear up until the next day. Next year I won't bother taking it because I don't know how to prevent the problem. There were so many fun things I could have taped. It was disappointing to have brought the camera and get virtually no video.

I'm anxious to hear about everyone's favorite shots! I need new ideas! I'm sure my daughter will be thrilled if I go to next years' cruise with the idea of taking even more pictures!:D

Deb

I've been inspired to purchase a digital camera.......so I'll be taking that and a couple of water cameras for our snorkeling adventure. Thanks for all the great tips about the digitals!

Deb, there's a thread going right now somewhere on this board that has people's favorite photos in it. There's some great ones.......check it out. You might get some new ideas. I think this will take you there..... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=227774

• 2 weeks later...

I took 1003 pictures on our last cruise! I printed 750.

I too am glad I took the safety drill pictures. I wish I would have taken more pictures of the food! Also I took a lot of scenery pictures, but wish I would have had more of us in them!

I was going to just bring disposable cameras on our cruise because I don't want to lose our nice camera but I know our good camera will take such wonderful shots and it has a zoom. How safe is it to bring a nice camera as opposed to just using all disposables?

We take our cameras with us everywhere. After all, that's what it's for, right? If the worst case scenario happened and it was lost/damaged/stolen, you can always replace it BUT you don't have another opportunity to get THAT PERFECT SHOT!

• 2 weeks later...

This is such a reassuring thread for fellow camera crazy people!!! I knew that I wasn't alone in taking several cameras!!

I know when we've come home from cruises, I have some people ask, "Did you do anything other than take pictures?!" People just don't understand, do they?!

A really great picture that a friend of mine took on the last cruise was off the back of the ship, as we were cruising along, of the churning water! It was awesome! I blew it up to the 5x7 size, it was beautiful!!

Another great picture that I captured was the sunset in the port in the Dominican Republic.

Oh, and never forget to take pics of the locals - I have done candid shots, as well as had posed pictures!

Archived