Snuba and Chankanaab

reno3

Just received a email from Chankanaab that they do not offer snuba. Carnival does offer it and the excursion is 2 hours from 9;00 am - 11:00. The snuba is at Sunset beach. I am wondering if we do the snuba and then catch a cab to Chankanaab will there be a lot of people and we won't be able to get chairs etc, figure we would get there around noon.

There will be 6 ships in port (including mine). We will be in port 8am-6pm. We are not doing the dolphin swim or anything special at Chankanaab, just read it is a nice place.Should be just stay at Sunset beach, or another beach nearby :confused: Any suggestions would be appreciated.

OMG you should have no trouble at Chankanaab, it is so BIG!

Very hot there we went to the beach after eating and after our dolphin push pull event..........so it was about 2 hours after it openend.

Very HOT there.

Grassy umbrellas ocean front galore!

Shade was everywhere.

Many chairs, and attendants ready to earn their keep running bar service.........not overly priced either.

Daughter had her first (LOL legal drink) at the beach she turned 18, and it was a Pina Colada.

Also we did the S.N.U.B.A. booked ours thru RCI

It was nice, you did a pre-set underwater run tethered to a raft carrying the oxygen supply. We were able to go down over 20 feet IF YOU WANTED. I told them I really was not that keen on doing that, so they backed off on my weights (On my belt), and I was able to go down about 10 feet.

About halfways thru the tour I wish I would have had more weights because the fishies were down below me, one of the attendants took me by the hand and swam down with me to see the fishies better.

It is by the shoreline and if you scuba you will probably be bored...I had a nice time, husband said it was "OK" he scubas, DD loved it.

Enjoy

Sea Ya

Edited by Lionesss

Who at Chankanaab said they don't offer Snuba? They seem to have it there, just not run out of dolphin discovery. I think it's a separate company that operates there.

We'd like to try Snuba but heard not so good things about it crowded on carnival excursion. That's why we wanted to do on own. Read carnival reviews.

Who at Chankanaab said they don't offer Snuba? They seem to have it there, just not run out of dolphin discovery. I think it's a separate company that operates there.

We'd like to try Snuba but heard not so good things about it crowded on carnival excursion. That's why we wanted to do on own. Read carnival reviews.

This is the person that responded to my email (I have posted my correspondence below).

dtraveller.com

Ana Rojas

Internet Sales Executive

[Me:I will be on a Carnival cruise ship the week of December 22, can we (3 adults) just take a cab and pay enterance fee without going through the cruise ship? Also do you off snuba? if so wht is the cost per person[/i]

1st responce:I would like to inform you that in in our Cozumel, Costa Maya, Anguilla and Tortola, we receive many clients coming from cruise ships. Most of them have their own spaces and deals for sell, also, due to the constant last minute changes the cruise lines have in their itineraries, their clients are fully protected ONLY if they book their dolphin spaces through them. These are some of the reasons why we are not able to book Carnival cruise line passengers directly and we kindly request them to contact their cruise lines in order to make their reservations and check about their kids policies for any of the programs which they handle individually.

I hope above information helps you to clarify this situation and we invite you to contact your cruise line in order to know their special deals for you.

My 2nd email: Carnival does not offer a snuba excursion at your facility that is why I emailed you directly. Do you offer snuba? If so I will go to your park on my own and purchase the snuba from your facility.

Thank you in advance for your response.\

2nd response:I am sorry to inform you that we do not have the snuba activity in any of our locations.

I have seen here on CC a photo of a sign and booth for snuba at Chankanaab??? I will try and find it again maybe I can read something on it.

Edited by reno3

OMG you should have no trouble at Chankanaab, it is so BIG!

Very hot there we went to the beach after eating and after our dolphin push pull event..........so it was about 2 hours after it openend.

Very HOT there.

Grassy umbrellas ocean front galore!

Shade was everywhere.

Many chairs, and attendants ready to earn their keep running bar service.........not overly priced either.

Daughter had her first (LOL legal drink) at the beach she turned 18, and it was a Pina Colada.

Also we did the S.N.U.B.A. booked ours thru RCI

It was nice, you did a pre-set underwater run tethered to a raft carrying the oxygen supply. We were able to go down over 20 feet IF YOU WANTED. I told them I really was not that keen on doing that, so they backed off on my weights (On my belt), and I was able to go down about 10 feet.

About halfways thru the tour I wish I would have had more weights because the fishies were down below me, one of the attendants took me by the hand and swam down with me to see the fishies better.

It is by the shoreline and if you scuba you will probably be bored...I had a nice time, husband said it was "OK" he scubas, DD loved it.

Enjoy

Sea Ya

Thank you for the information.

• 3 weeks later...
I just found a website that says they have a location inside Chankanaab, I have sent them a email to find out details.

Did you get any details? Mayan Paradise Tours offers it at Chankanaab and we would like to book it for March

We had a bit of a problem finding any information on the Snuba at Chanknaaba. I emailed Chanknaaba and was told they did not offer Snuba. I looked on the internet and found the company that does offer Snuba at Chanknaaba. I emailed Pedro and after a few emailed I made reservations for 2 adults.

We arrived in Cozumel and took a cab to Chanknaaba. Pedro had emailed me our coupons for a discount rate to get into Chanknaaba ($13.00 pp) we would pay the $60 Snuba fee once inside the park and at the Snuba location. Our reservation was for 11:00. I did not realize there was a one hour time difference. We went over to the Snuba at 11:00 ship time (which was 10 island time). I asked if we could go earlier and they said yes. We talked to David and he was very helpful. I told him about the email from Chanknaaba telling me that Snuba was not offered at this location. He seemed surprised. He asked me to email him my correnspondence with Chanknaaba, which I will.

We filled out some paperwork and went over some procedures then suited up and off we went. Our instructor, myself and son (19). No big crowd, just us. We walked to the dock and into the water. I tried a couple of times and just could not do it. I am claustrophobia. Our instructor (sorry I don’t remember his name) was very patient and tried a couple of times to help me. He asked me if I like to snorkel. I told him yes so I held onto the back of the small boat that floats around with you and had a great time. I put my face in the water and watched them. I followed them by kicking so my son did not have to pull me while I held onto the boat. The instructor keep checking on me to make sure I was ok. We were in the water for about half hour, 45 minutes. I did not bring my underwater camera but I could have. We did buy the photo, $40.00 for 40 pix and then they also put another 40 stock photos that they have taken on past trips on the same disk. We had a really great time and my son said it was the best thing he has done on his 8 cruises. The price we paid also included snorkeling gear for the rest of the day. I would recommend this to everyone.

One other thing. When we entered Chanknaaba a guide asked us what our plans for the day was. We told him Snuba and the beach. He was trying to talk us into doing the scuba that they offered. He give us a price and we said no thank you. It was more than what we were paying for the Snuba. He said he could do it for the same price. It was the hard sell and I really did not like it.

IMG_0001_zps93d63b7e.jpg

IMG_0008_zps92b411b3.jpg

IMG_0013_zps082c906c.jpg

IMG_0035_zpsd96ec2ad.jpg

IMG_0037_zps564db7d2.jpg

Me snorkeling with the boat.

IMG_0046_zpsd80bfade.jpg

Edited by reno3

• 2 weeks later...
This is the person that responded to my email (I have posted my correspondence below).

dtraveller.com

Ana Rojas

Internet Sales Executive

[Me:I will be on a Carnival cruise ship the week of December 22, can we (3 adults) just take a cab and pay enterance fee without going through the cruise ship? Also do you off snuba? if so wht is the cost per person[/i]

1st responce:I would like to inform you that in in our Cozumel, Costa Maya, Anguilla and Tortola, we receive many clients coming from cruise ships. Most of them have their own spaces and deals for sell, also, due to the constant last minute changes the cruise lines have in their itineraries, their clients are fully protected ONLY if they book their dolphin spaces through them. These are some of the reasons why we are not able to book Carnival cruise line passengers directly and we kindly request them to contact their cruise lines in order to make their reservations and check about their kids policies for any of the programs which they handle individually.

I hope above information helps you to clarify this situation and we invite you to contact your cruise line in order to know their special deals for you.

My 2nd email: Carnival does not offer a snuba excursion at your facility that is why I emailed you directly. Do you offer snuba? If so I will go to your park on my own and purchase the snuba from your facility.

Thank you in advance for your response.\

2nd response:I am sorry to inform you that we do not have the snuba activity in any of our locations.

I have seen here on CC a photo of a sign and booth for snuba at Chankanaab??? I will try and find it again maybe I can read something on it.

As I see by your post futher down there is snuba. The reply you got here is from Dolphin discovery and not actually Chankanaab. Haven't read your post on snuba yet but looking forward to it. Have thought about trying it . Have snorkeled and scuba dived but thought about trying the snuba.

The Ump

John

Yes, about 6 of the 8 want to do the Snuba. Thanks for the coupon. I had found that one. Thought there might be a better one though

This is the email address that I had for Pedro Garcia.

snubachankanaab@hotmail.com

He sent me reservations that I had to print out and give when we paid at the enterance. I believe it was $13.00 pp to get because we were doing the snuba. We paid $60.00 at the snuba location. I did not pay any money as a deposit before hand.

Reno,

Was ther a limited area that you had to snuba in or could you go anywhere in the reef area?

The Ump

John

You had to stay with the instructor and it did seem like a big area. As I mentioned in my review I did not technically Snuba, my son did. Myself or son have never scuba dove so I can not compare the two. You are tethered to the small boat by you breathing hose. I don't know how many people would be tethered to one boat.

Edited by reno3

Do you remember the name of the snuba company you went through? I found two online that do snuba at Chankanaab - one is Cozumel water sports and the other is snubacozumel.net ... Thanks!

Edited by zoiebear