What to do in Belize?

All About the Journey

Go out of the pier when you dock and to your left about 5 minute walk is the Water Taxi. Google it, they post the times the taxis leave on their website. We try to catch the 9am one to Caye Caulker. Cost is $22.50 per person round trip. If your last tender leaves at 4:15 you will want to catch the 1:30 taxi back to BC.

when you arrive at Caye caulker, walk to your right (as you face town). That is towards The Split, which everyone in town knows. There are also businesses along the street that will take you out to the reef if you want to go & provide all snorkel equipment. Or to see the stingrays, or??? Or you can rent snorkel stuff & just go on to The Split.

There is a bar there The Lazy Lizard which has a long wooden dock where ppl sunbathe. You can snorkel or wade right from shore but there's really not a beach as such. You can get lunch from The LL or any of the food shacks around there. Or I've heard of a place called Wish Willys that supposedly has good food.

Don't loose track of time! Catch the water taxi back to BC at the correct time. There! Nice relaxing beach day & all it will cost you is the taxi ride there & back, + the drinks and the beer and snacks of course!

Don't forget the sunscreen!

I have been to Belize with Carnival and Celebrity. I would look at what Carnival is offering. Some excursions to the beach and snorkeling areas will pick you up at the cruise ship so that you do not have to tender to shore. In Belize I have done 1 excursion with Carnival and the other was independent. On this last trip after the tour we walked around just outside of the port area. At all times I never felt anything but safe.

Jen

We are on the Carnival Dream January 4-11, 2014 and stop in Belize? what are others doing while here? We want to go to a beach, any suggestions? Is it safe in Belize? :)

We are on the Carnival Dream January 4-11, 2014 and stop in Belize? what are others doing while here? We want to go to a beach, any suggestions? Is it safe in Belize? :)

We're on the Dream a month later and we're doing the water taxi to Caye Caulker.

If you enjoy snorkeling I would suggest the Goff's Caye excursion, if you book that through the ship they pick you up on the ship rather than in port. Very nice day with a beautiful little beach as well.

The shark & ray alley excursion to Caye Caulker is very popular as well.

And or course on land you have the ruins and cave tubing.

Get on your roll call forum to see what others are doing, you will find ideas there.

[EDIT] Belize is not a destination where you don't take an excursion, you want to have something planned whether with an independent operator or through the ship. You can go on your own at the other ports you hit.

Edited by blue_water

We went to Belize on Royal Caribbean in April 2013. We booked the excursion through the cruise ship to go to Bannister Island. It was ok. If I was to do the beach excursion again, I'd take the water taxi, based on what other people said. Once we were done with the excursion(It was only 3 hours) we went to Belize City. It's a gathering of overpriced junk mostly made in China, that you can buy pretty much anywhere. However, just passed security, you can go into the city. We bargained with a guy named Michael for a horse and buggy tour of the city. He had his credentials on him, and security told us the city was safe. Michael gave the 4 of us a lovely narrated tour of the city for $40 total. At the end of the tour we stopped to purchase some handmade souvenirs from some locals at a little flea market set up. They are very very poor, but the craftsmanship was great. We were able to bargain some prices down. The one downfall was the lady who got upset and rude when I kept refusing braids for my daughters' hair. My girls don't like braids. They wanted the hand carved dolphin and toucans instead. This year we are considering taking a taxi to the zoo based on the recommendation of a lady who did that during our last visit.