Brilliance And Panama

Has anyone out there done the Panama Canal Cruise on the Brilliance this year? I have not seen anything about it and was wondering what, if anything , we should be on the lookout for. ( We are going in April) Anyone have any input for us?

Thanks

Kim

We went in March 2004. You won't find any recent posts about Brilliance and Panama because the ship moved to a European itinerary in April, as it does most years. The best way to find info on this year's sailings would be to do a search on Brilliance and Panama Canal, on the RCI board. :)

We did this cruise in February 2004 and it was fantastic! It had the best itinerary on any of the cruises we've been on. We loved how the sea days were interspersed with the port days. Loved going to Aruba and the Panama Canal is AMAZING! If you have any specific questions, let me know and I will be happy to answer any question you may have!

We did this cruise in February 2004 and it was fantastic! It had the best itinerary on any of the cruises we've been on. We loved how the sea days were interspersed with the port days. Loved going to Aruba and the Panama Canal is AMAZING! If you have any specific questions, let me know and I will be happy to answer any question you may have!

That's great news...we are taking this cruise in November and can't wait!

When you went to the Panama Canal, did you stay on board or take one of the excursions? We have an aft cabin so we're leaning towards staying on the ship but I wanted to ask.

Also, what did you do in Porto Limon and would you recommend any specific places or excursions?

Cheers,

Esther

Esther -

We had an aft cabin too! It was a great place to see the Canal! While everyone was at front watching as we entered, we watched it from the back! We had breakfast from our balcony, it was really nice. We stayed on the ship as the excursions were really expensive and we mainly just wanted to see the Canal. Going back through mid afternoon, we went to the front of the ship. Most people were either on excursions or perhaps bored with the whole thing, but there were very few people at the bow watching as we went back through to the Caribbean. It was really neat because when we were going back through to Colon the Grandeur of the Seas was going through the other set of locks.

In Puerto Limon, we did the Tortuguero Canal excursion through Royal Caribbean. The excursion was very nice our guide was great and we learned a lot about Costa Rica.

If you want to see pictures from our cruise you can go to: http://community.webshots.com/user/tispwisp

Here is what we particularly enjoyed.

1. Flew down night before and stayed at the Hyatt in Miami. Got a great Sr. Rate ( if you are over 61) and if not a decent AAA rate. We ate at Japengo

their Asian Fusion restaurant. waiter asked us if we were crusing and when we said yes he asked what line - we said RCCL. As a result we got a 20% discount on dinner. Told us to save the receipt for a 10% discount on breakfast the next morning. HE LIED it was 20% also.

2. Aruba - Lunch at ElGaucho

3. As soon as you get on board - book the Train and preferably the dome car

in Panama - it books up almost immediately. We could not et the dome but we did get the regular car.

4. We took the Pineapple Plantation tour in Puerto Limon. Cheap tour not really exciting - BUT we have not picked a bad pineapple since returning - they showed us how to find a ripe pineapple.

5. If you like good coffee - Cafe Britt on the ship has a deal - BUY IT

Also do not be afraid to buy it on the pier in Limon either - we found some woman who sold us 4 17oz bags of Tarazu for $10

6. Beautiful Rosewood trays for sale on the pier in Limon

7 If one of the entertainers is a violinist named Gary Lovini - DO NOT MISS THIS SHOW - he had 6 standing ovations

We are doing this cruise in April 2007. Let us know what you think. It will be our first time on a Radiance class ship. Excited and nervous at the same time. We love the Voyager class but are anxious to try something different. We have a "hump" cabin booked for this one.

Went thru the canal on the Radiance with an aft cabin and we are doing it again in Dec 2006 on the Brillance in an aft cabin (1104). We are on a wait list for js 1100 and also cabin 9256. Wonderful view of the canal.

We will be following you on the December 2, 2005 Cruise on Brilliance of the Seas to the Panama Canal. Also looking for any information anyone can pass on...

How is the ship, this is our first time on a Radiance class ship..

Thanks

Nancy

We are on the Brilliance for one of her last Med cruises just before she comes back across the Atlantic to start her Caribbean and Panama sailings this year. She's in the Med from April to October.

I've been through the Panama on the Vision, and it's a wonderful day! We went out on the Promenade Deck 5 all day as we went through the locks. DH even went and got hamburgers for us so we could stay outside. It was absolutely awesome to look over the deck railing and see land about 3 feet away!! Thunder and rain, too, and that was very dramatic.

We loved this cruise, and I've heard nothing but good things about the Radiance class ships.

Enjoy!

Went thru the canal on the Radiance with an aft cabin and we are doing it again in Dec 2006 on the Brillance in an aft cabin (1104). We are on a wait list for js 1100 and also cabin 9256. Wonderful view of the canal.

I'm also going on the Brillance in Dec,06. I'll be on the 10 dayer, leaving Dec 1, 06. Which are you booked on? I'll also be in room 9256 for this cruise. You might want to contact my travel agent, because she had this room reserved to 11/20, 12/11. She might still have it available. My e-mail is available in my profile.

Bobbi-Jo

I'm also going on the Brillance in Dec,06. I'll be on the 10 dayer, leaving Dec 1, 06. Which are you booked on? I'll also be in room 9256 for this cruise. You might want to contact my travel agent, because she had this room reserved to 11/20, 12/11. She might still have it available. My e-mail is available in my profile.

Bobbi-Jo

Bobbi-Jo,

You've got email :D

Stretch

Going on the Brilliance in Jan. Looking to buy some booze to bring home. How are the prices on this itinerary??

We usually stock up in St. Thomas and was hoping that maybe we could do it in Aruba or Panama.

I was checking Brilliance roll call for my Feb Panamal Canal cruise and found that a cc member had to let cabin 9256 go so I called and had my cabin switched. Any info on this cabin would be greatly appreciated. The balcony looks huge! Thanks in advance for any info. Is the cabin smaller, due to the larger balcony? Any obstruction?

mary

jalakim,

We haven't sailed on the Brilliance for a partial transit, but will do so in Jan 2006. We were aboard the Splendour of the Seas right across from the Brilliance while in the locks. We ended up on the Brilliance in January of this year and fell in love with her and her staff. I can't say enough good things about the ship and the staff.

I do alot of research and normally book independent tours at the ports. If you want an incredible day in Pureto Limon I would use Oscar Brown. You can read posts about him on the Costa Rica thread. He can take you and a group of others to the zipline, canals etc. He will give you more for your dollar than the ship tours will.

I had a D1 Starboard cabin on the Splendour and chose to stay on the ship instead of doing a tour in Panama. Our cabin on the Brilliance for Jan 2006 is an aft cabin, and we will again stay on the ship. The entire sailiing through the locks is so empressive that I don't want to miss any of it.

Please post any questions that you, or others might have.

Remember that it is the luck of the draw if you have a balcony cabin, the ship could enter either lane and your balcony might not have the best view. I would make friends with the people across from my cabin to be sure that you can have a great view while in the locks. Now if you have an aft cabin......Oh that would be me... I can't wait:D

Mary - We were in 9256 on the Brilliance - you can see pics of our cruise including our cabin and balcony in my post above. The cabin is the same size as all of the other D1 Cabins, but the balcony is twice as large and wraps around. It has two lounge chairs, two upright chairs, and a small table. And there was still plenty of room! It was an absolutely awesome place to see the workings of the Canal. While everyone is crammed up front, we watched it from behind on our balcony. It was great!!!! As far as I'm concerned, you've got the best cabin on the ship - congratulations!!!

Archived