Help please re Panasonic Lumix FZ200/alternative to DSLR

I have read so many raves here and elsewhere about the Panasonic Lumix FZ200, and I've been looking into the camera (particularly with the new price drop), but I have some questions:

The aperture range of this camera is f/2.8 to 8 (and Graham Houghton's videos in fact recommend not even stopping down as far as f/8). For users of this camera, has this presented a depth of field problem when you are trying to achieve great depth of field? (If not, what am I missing as to why not? I'm of course thinking about this in terms of my DSLR and being able to stop down much further than f/8.)

From what I've read about this camera, the images become quite noisy when taken with the ISO set above 400. (Houghton says this as well; he suggests not going above 400.) How much of a problem is this in low light, say indoors or at night? For example, if I am inside an old cathedral, or taking a night shot on the deck of a ship, will I be able to get acceptable images?

I am a DSLR user (typically using a Nikon D7000, with 18-200mm lens) whose knees can't quite take the weight of that gear any longer when walking around for a full day (say, on a shore excursion in a European city). I've been thinking about this camera as an alternative for those kinds of days; I realize there will be some things I would be giving up, but I'm trying to get a sense of how limiting the above characteristics of this camera truly are.

Thanks in advance for any help!

I have the FZ-50, and have been reading about the 200

For depth of field, the camera has a small sensor so it will inherently have a deeper depth of field than a larger sensor camera with the same aperture and angle of view.

My camera has an older, slower version of the 'venus' graphic chip, and images get much noisier when setting for higher sensitivity. Hopefully the 200 is somewhat better, despite the slightly smaller sensor size. I have been able to get acceptable available light shots, greatly aided by image stabilization [which of course does not help when the subject is moving]. You could shoot with the iso set for a reasonable shutter speed, capturing in 'RAW' mode - then recover the shadow detail later on the computer. This requires both advanced planning and practice with the software. I also have an Olympus FL-36 external flash [cheaper then the Panasonic labeled version] and an off camera connecting cord for times when you need to bring your own light.

[quote=Turtles06;41897781 knees can't quite take the weight of that gear any longer when walking around for a full day

I have to confess that I often carry around a Sony NEX camera for the same reason (leg).

But I do have the FZ200 which I used on my last cruise for the convenience of having the wide range zoom.

As far as dim light is concerned, you have a 2.8 lens on the Panasonic; your Nikkor, if I remember correctly, is one-stop smaller (f3.5) without considering the sensor.

If you like taking large pictures (11x14 and above) in dim light, you will have to probably shoot RAW and use somesort of plug-in on Photoshop/Lightroom to lessen the noise.

I have been using the FZ200 for the past 18 months. I use Intelligent Auto most of the time and the camera adjusts based on the light. Low light performance is reasonable. I have posted images elsewhere on this board. I recently took several indoor photos in India and outside on cloudy days.

However, my wife's Sony A77 does a much better job!

Edited by dileep

Consider looking at the Sony RX-10. It is about the price of an entry-level DSLR with a couple of kit lenses but it sets a new benchmark for bridge cameras wit a large sensor, phenomenal constant f/2.8 lens and video performance that rivals the top DSLRs. I don't always like to lug the DSLR and if I hadn't gone with the NEX cameras before the RX-10 came on to the scene, I would be very tempted to movie in that direction for a more compact travel kit.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/camera-reviews/sony/rx10/

Dave

Thanks everyone above for all the comments, tips and suggestions. Much appreciated!

(I do know about the RX-10. A bit more than my spouse would like me to be spending right now on another camera. :) It will be interesting to see if it comes down in price as the months go by....)

I own a FZ200 and have set the ISO limit at 800 (based on my testing and my tolerance level :). I shoot mostly in program mode. With the 2.8 lens aperture available through to full zoom it works quite well in low light. I have taken lots of pictures in Italian churches at very low light and high zoom with great results.

Note also that without a mirror bouncing around inside your camera and with a good image stabilization system you can hand hold at exposures as low as 1/4 or even 1/2 second even when zoomed out. (helps to lean on something, though:D.)

Bottom line for me - image quality perhaps not as good as a DSLR but convenience/portability means I am able to get more pictures taken without irritating my wife while fooling around with lens changes. Also, it fits in a shoulder bag that doesn't look like a camera bag. Works for me.

I own a FZ200 and have set the ISO limit at 800 (based on my testing and my tolerance level :). I shoot mostly in program mode. With the 2.8 lens aperture available through to full zoom it works quite well in low light. I have taken lots of pictures in Italian churches at very low light and high zoom with great results.

Note also that without a mirror bouncing around inside your camera and with a good image stabilization system you can hand hold at exposures as low as 1/4 or even 1/2 second even when zoomed out. (helps to lean on something, though:D.)

Bottom line for me - image quality perhaps not as good as a DSLR but convenience/portability means I am able to get more pictures taken without irritating my wife while fooling around with lens changes. Also, it fits in a shoulder bag that doesn't look like a camera bag. Works for me.

Your spouse sounds like my spouse! :)

Thanks for the encouraging words and the tips. I took advantage of the price drop and purchased this camera! I have a few weeks to try it out and see what I think. (I can't believe how light it is.)

Again, thanks to everyone who commented. This board is great.

Ihave had this camera for 2 months . On a recent 4 week vacation in Cuba, I took about 500 pictures in all types of light. Imho pics are sharp and good saturation , Seems to try for iso 100 in most situations, Panaramas are good, pics thru windows are good, full zoom ,600mm is good. We must remember that in the old days of film high asa values also created graininess. I picked camera for light weight, 2.8 lens and viewfinder which I use 99 per cent of the time.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Forums mobile app

Edited by CWRob

Thanks to everyone for the additional info and tips. I've just gotten the camera and had a chance this morning to take it for a little test drive down at a duck pond. Work will intervene this week, but my plan is to play tourist in some indoor spaces and see how it goes. (I'm pretty impressed by the zoom.) These are out of the camera (no post processing except to crop).

FemaleMallard1024x871_zps2e9a1f67.jpg

MaleMallard1024x765_zps3b7f58ba.jpg

CanadaGoose1024x761_zpsa21ede6c.jpg

(photos by turtles06)