First Solo Cruise

logan25

I have been lurking around the Solo Forum for some months, considering some indefinite, future opportunity when I would choose to cruise solo. I appreciate all the information, tips and experiences from other contributors. Now I can officially join the group.

A little about myself. I have cruised many times, but always with at least one other person (especially my husband). When we are cruising, we are not joined at the hip for the entire cruise. He is more of a night owl, and I am up with the sun. We eat most (but not all) meals as a couple (flexible dining at a two-topper) and choose excursions together, but enjoy shipboard activities which suit us separately and together. I am perfectly comfortable with my own company and not a party animal, but I can converse with strangers.

I went into my first solo cruise with an upbeat attitude, fully prepared to enjoy myself. The MSC Divina offered such an attractive March solo rate that I just did not want to resist. The cabin choice was another plus, my first aft balcony. It afforded me a place to be alone, away from the throngs.

Unpacking brought a perk not pondered. I realized every storage space and option was available to me alone. I could use every drawer and every hanger, no sharing. Such a luxury. I could spread out as much as I wanted and nothing would be moved from where I placed it. (No asking “Where did you put the camera?”)

Our roll call ramped up quite a bit as CruiseCritic members booked cabins and joined. Turned out several of us (CantSwim63 and FortWorthGal) booked neighboring cabins and corresponded some by e-mail before the cruise, so friendly faces would be on hand. A good thing in my opinion, rather than being in a sea of strangers.

FortWorthGal (and sister) coincidentally flew on the same flight to Miami, and we shared a taxi to the port on embarkation day. So no making my way alone to the port.

I have only a little prior experience with traditional dining, so that could have gone either way. Got off to a little rocky start. The first night, I was seated at a table for eight. Me and seven empty chairs. That stretched on for fifteen minutes. Then a couple were seated. A little thereafter, a mother and daughter joined us. The conversation did not flow naturally at first (understand that I am not the most outgoing). However during our first meal together, the couple were very friendly and gracious to draw me into the conversation. The five of us were the core dinner attendees (with three others who joined just for a night or two). We talked and laughed our way through the week. It turned out to be a highlight of the cruise.

The roll call meeting gave me the opportunity to put faces to screen names and share experiences. Even ate a few lunches with fellow members, whether by purposeful arrangement or happenstance. Ran across fellow members around the ship during the week and enjoyed spontaneous conversations.

I attended theater performances alone so I was able to choose whatever vantage point suited me, rather than compromising to please others. Always easier to find a single seat just about anywhere, rather than seats together at an agreed upon location.

Two tablemates turned out to have some similar entertainment tastes, and we turned up at the same venue several times which also was a plus. We sat together enjoying the dueling piano performances, people watching and laughing.

I spent time alone and with others as I chose. Things which may have seemed a little intimidating before, were not hard in reality.

I can honestly say the experience was positive.

Edited by logan25

• 4 weeks later...