Newark Airport AirTrain to Shut 75 Days May 1st

I don't know if this has been posted but....

There'll be no taking the train to the plane - or to the terminals, the parking areas, or anywhere else at Newark Liberty International Airport - for awhile, starting May 1.

The AirTrain monorail system at Newark Liberty will be closed for 75 days to allow for repairs, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey said today.

Rail service from Newark Penn Station to Newark Liberty will also be halted during the same period since the airport rail station along the Northeast Corridor Line is linked to the airport via the monorail.

Bus service between terminals and parking will be provided.

It is my understanding that Amtrak/NJ Transit Trains will NOT stop at Newark Airport Station but there will be a shuttle bus from Newark Penn Station but you should wait for official Port Authority statements.

In any case allow extra time if traveling around EWR during the shutdown.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2014/04/newark_airport_monorail_to_close_for_repairs_starting_may_1.html

Numerous detours & warning signals are out already in NJ for the affecting area, along the Rt-1/9 corridors this past Sunday. The extra traffic volume will shift to the Rt-1/9 Truck route and not in the best conditions and the bottleneck has always been at the approach to the Holland Tunnel with the traffic lights. NJ Turnpike Ext. to Holland Tunnel was moving much faster this past Sunday (early afternoon as we're returning to NY from Rahway/Linden area south of EWR) - delays for us with the Rt-1/9 approach was fairly typical, about 15 minutes last week. Starting this Saturday, it's a different game - mix in poor weather and/or wet road conditions, oh mine ...

These changes will impact more on all those flying into EWR and cruising out of Manhattan or Brooklyn piers while staying on the Jersey side with better lodging rates - the ferry options should be seriously considered for those doing day trips into NYC.

Those staying in NJ and using Cape Liberty for their sailings will be least affected, unless they venture into Manhattan to sightsee (and, how many don't) - then, have fun figuring out the free/special shuttle buses & transfers, etc.

With many local school districts out on Spring break this month, traffic next week might not be as bad as it might be (fingers crossed.) As for anyone traveling into/out of the upcoming Memorial Day weekend via EWR airport and/or Holland Tunnel - definitely have alternate routes and allow plenty of extra travel time. The mid-town Lincoln Tunnel is used heavily by long distance & commuter buses and tractor trailers that are banned from using the Holland.

Tune to AM News Radio 880 and 1010 for updated live traffic every 10 minutes on the 8 or 11, and Waze apps on iPhones & Androids for integrated traffic NAV guidance.

Going from Newark Penn Sta to the port, does one need to use the Skyway to get there? Not familiar with it? If so any work around?

No. You will get a cab and take the quickest way via either Raymond Blvd to Truck 1&9 North into Jersey City to 440 South into the port or 1&9 South to the Turnpike extension into Bayonne and then to the port. Your driver will make the best decision for the driving conditions at the time.

No. You will get a cab and take the quickest way via either Raymond Blvd to Truck 1&9 North into Jersey City to 440 South into the port or 1&9 South to the Turnpike extension into Bayonne and then to the port. Your driver will make the best decision for the driving conditions at the time.

We're actually taking a private car service so I guess the same will apply. Thanks.

Not that familiar with the layout of EWR, but instructed by my hotel to catch their shuttle by taking the airtrain to the shuttle terminal. Arriving on Delta, so does anyone know how far it is to the hotel shuttle bus terminal from Delta's baggage claim area ? I ask, as I use a mobility scooter.

Thanks.

I don't know the answer to your question.

My guess is that all the shuttles will be stopping somewhere at each terminal instead of at the P4 Airtrain Station. That what they used to do before Airtrain was built.

I would call your hotel directly and ask what their specific plan is for shuttle pickup. Have you confirmed your hotel shuttle can accommodate your scooter?

I don't know the answer to your question.

My guess is that all the shuttles will be stopping somewhere at each terminal instead of at the P4 Airtrain Station. That what they used to do before Airtrain was built.

I would call your hotel directly and ask what their specific plan is for shuttle pickup. Have you confirmed your hotel shuttle can accommodate your scooter?

Thanks Carol and yes they are aware of my mobility scooter. I'll call them again to see what there strategy is with the Airtrain out of operation.