Video Camera Recommendations?

We have owned several digital cameras, our latest purchase being the Canon 20D digital SLR, which we love. We also kept our Sony 717 digital. But for our upcoming cruises/vacations, I would really like to get a video camera. I've never owned one before and have no clue what kind/brand, where to start, etc. I've viewed some of the videos in the links provided on this board and was impressed.

Any advice/information/clues/do's or don'ts/must have features/waste of time features, from all of you *experienced* users would be greatly appreciated!

I own a Canon ZR90, which is a digital camcorder, and is easy to load the videos on your computer using a firewire. It uses MiniDV tapes, which you cannot play on your VCR or put in a shell to play in the VCR. However, you can burn a DVD after you edit the video that you loaded up onto your computer.

This camcorder also takes pictures, and you can record video using a memory card as well. I love my camera, it is medium range price bet high end quality.

I have the Canon Elura 65, which is a digital mini-dv video camera. It's about the size of your hand, has a flip out/swivel LCD screen, and takes excellent video. Mini DV captures 500 lines of resolution, which is actually better than DVD's in most cases. The mini dv cassettes are inexpensive, and available pretty much everywhere as well.

My brother just bought the Canon Elura 85 model, which is even newer...for less than $400 online. Pricegrabber or other price search engines are not only the best bet for finding the lowest price, but also for seeing what is available in your price range.

I love Canon's digital cameras and camcorders, and seeing that you have a Canon 20D (incredible camera ;) ), I think you would be happy checking them out as well.

Just my 2 cents.. :D

Kenny

www.kenandschley.com - Cruise and Misc. Travel Adventure Photos

Thanks, both of you! I'll definitely check into those. Our next cruise isn't for over a year, unless we find something in Nov. or Dec. this year we can swing, so I do have some time to get what I want. But as most of us know, with photography, etc., there is *always* something else we want! As in a telephoto lens for my camera! LOL

Karen

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Too many cameras in too many price ranges. Personally I'm looking at the new hard drive video cameras from JVC. 30G hard drive can store up to 7 hours of dvd quality recordings. It is also a still camera, not that good on the megapixels but to have as a back up, ok. Make sure you get good Optical zoom. Don't be impressed with the 700-800 digital zoom. When you get your camera, play with the digital zoom and you'll see what I mean. But what ever you get make sure you video a lot. There's nothing like watching the video on some cold winters night with a nice pina colada. Good luck and have fun.

Too many cameras in too many price ranges. Personally I'm looking at the new hard drive video cameras from JVC. 30G hard drive can store up to 7 hours of dvd quality recordings. It is also a still camera, not that good on the megapixels but to have as a back up, ok. Make sure you get good Optical zoom. Don't be impressed with the 700-800 digital zoom. When you get your camera, play with the digital zoom and you'll see what I mean. But what ever you get make sure you video a lot. There's nothing like watching the video on some cold winters night with a nice pina colada. Good luck and have fun.

I just purchased and returned this camera in the 20G Everio version. The picture was very grainy, like if you used your digital camera in movie mode. I have a Sony cybershot 7mp and the movies are actually beter on the camera than on this camcorder. I was very unhappy with it. Expecially at $700+ I had bought it from QVC. I have an older version 8mm RCA and when we compared movies there was no quesion that the digital still needs some improvement. Though the small size was a treat, the inability to upload and make the DVD's is not as easy as first thought. Just MHO

• 3 weeks later...

Right now I'm looking at the JVC Hard drive camcorder. They're top one

_ _50 I think. I'm just starting to look now. I think it has a 30 or 40 gig hard drive which would be good for 7 hours on video in dvd qaulity video.

It also has a compact flash card slot for still pics. Not good resolution but available.

• 2 months later...

Personally, I'd get a Sony again. They, like Canons, seem to be very well-rounded. Good picture quality, good lenses, good image stability.

Bought a JVC three years ago, and I don't think I'll buy another. Not a bad camcorder, but not great either. Image quality is fickle at best.

• 1 year later...

Okay, decided to buy dh a video camera for Christmas. That was the easy part...any new updated info anyone would like to add to this conversation? TIA for any help.

I am already leaning towards a mini DV if anyone has any specific suggestions there.

Okay, decided to buy dh a video camera for Christmas. That was the easy part...any new updated info anyone would like to add to this conversation? TIA for any help.

I am already leaning towards a mini DV if anyone has any specific suggestions there.

I too am looking at camcorders. I am looking at the HD ones. The pictures are incredible. Check them out. Best Buy has some in store that you can see. Here in Dallas they had a display set up with a split screen showing the difference. Amazing. We are leaning towards Sony..just not sure of which model. I am going to the Sony store today to gather info. I need to hurry and get the darn thing..we leave in 19 days!

I recently got the Canon HV20. It films at 1920x1080i, uses the MiniDV tapes. I've been very happy with the operation and ease of use. I haven't done much with converting yet, so I can't say very much about it. The main reason I am holding back is that the PC's seem a little slow dealing with editing video. I want to get a Mac that comes with the right software rather than blowing $100 on software and still wanting a better tool.

We got the camera when my niece was born and all I've recorded so far is a little of her and a lot of our cats. I'm still just trying to get a feel for it before our big Panama cruise next year.

Okay, got real excited about the HD cameras, but they are just out of my league. :( Ended up with a Panasonic SDR-H18 30GB Hard Disk Drive Camcorder.

An interesting story for those who shop online and comparison shop....Dh and I do almost all of our shopping online. He even found his last car online at CarMax.:rolleyes:

So last night after spending about 3 hours shopping around online comparing prices last night, there was one company, Digital Nerds, which was about $150 < :eek: for the model I had chosen.

"If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is?" Questioning the price in my mind, I said, "there has to be a catch". Headed over and googled "digital nerds complaints" and the first result on the first page was the BBB of NY. The second and third, "Digital Superdeals... Don't purchase from them!" and "Just about got scammed by Digital Nerds". Well, you get the picture.

The BBB of NY has a summary of the company which stated a LOT of negative things about the company. "Consumers report that cameras purchased from this firm are represented as U.S. models under warranty, but are in fact foreign models not covered by manufacturer warranties. Consumers also report experiencing difficulty contacting customer service, as well as hostile attitudes from representatives after requesting refunds or declining to purchase additional items."

So that was the end of that. I want the warranty, I use my AMEX card specifically to double the warranty on stuff like this. Off I went to pricegrabber, google shopping cart and yahoo shopping, and believe it or not, Amazon within $9 had the overall best deal. I'll do business with a reputable and well known company over the internet any day of the week.

Thanks for letting me share my story. With the holidays coming up I some of us will be doing a bit of online shopping and just wanted to throw this out there as a precaution for folks.

Good public service announcement Lisa!

Let the buyer be informed! I've been doing business with B&H Photo via phone and then internet since the '70s. Amazon is another excellent source and like you, I have always found them to be close if not below the average price on most items. Add free shipping and excellent customer service to that and I usually just go with them. (If an item is a fer bucks higher than an unknown supplier, I just consider it a tip for making it safer and easier for me!)

Dave

Archived