London disembarkation fiasco and WiFi

id4elizabeth

I had an illuminating conversation with one of the travel press reporters this afternoon. She asked all sorts of question - I managed to get in three.

Me: When did you get onboard?

Her: London.

Me: What time?

Her: I guess it was between 8:30 and 9:00. But we had to wait about 20 minutes for the press to get off that were disembarking in London. We had quite a lot of gear with us from my camera crew.

Me: How's the WiFi

Her: Utterly fantastic! We got a free upgrade to Premium - they gave us user names and passwords. I've been able to upload over 100 pictures and videos and file all my reports. It's screaming fast.

Hmm - so we were delayed getting off in London according to Viking due to one of two reasons - the British authorities or they had trouble docking. But not so much that they couldn't get the press on and off with luggage, camera bags, computers, tripods, etc.

The press started getting on in Barcelona and that's when we started having trouble with WiFi.....hmmm. Maybe the Press Corp is suckling up all the bandwidth with their Premium Access.

I understand Viking's need to wine and dine the press corps, but not at the expense of their paying passenger.

We report - you decide.

I had an illuminating conversation with one of the travel press reporters this afternoon. She asked all sorts of question - I managed to get in three.

Her: I guess it was between 8:30 and 9:00. But we had to wait about 20 minutes for the press to get off that were disembarking in London. We had quite a lot of gear with us from my camera crew.

Her: Utterly fantastic! We got a free upgrade to Premium - they gave us user names and passwords. I've been able to upload over 100 pictures and videos and file all my reports. It's screaming fast.

Hmm - so we were delayed getting off in London according to Viking due to one of two reasons - the British authorities or they had trouble docking. But not so much that they couldn't get the press on and off with luggage, camera bags, computers, tripods, etc.

The press started getting on in Barcelona and that's when we started having trouble with WiFi.....hmmm. Maybe the Press Corp is suckling up all the bandwidth with their Premium Access.

I understand Viking's need to wine and dine the press corps, but not at the expense of their paying passenger.

We report - you decide.

I have been following Zach on twitter. since he boarded, I think in London. I would find him on board and have a conversation with him. He looks like he is having fun.

https://twitter.com/Z_Everson

I do hope you or another cruiser will provide a posting of the Christening and the Holiday in Bergen. Sounds like it will be great fun.

I am beginning to see the minutae of daily life is becoming the main focus of your journey.

Hope your spirit rises and you can enjoy your wonderful voyage for the remaining days.

...The press started getting on in Barcelona and that's when we started having trouble with WiFi.....hmmm. Maybe the Press Corp is suckling up all the bandwidth with their Premium Access...

I'm wondering if the lack of functioning TV's in the rooms and the non-movies in the Theatre That Doesn't Show Movies might be contributing to bandwidth issues as folks resort to online content on their laptops and mobile devices.

Thank you id4elizabeth for the above observation.

I was beginning to think that there were two Viking Star cruise ships sailing the oceans of our small planet ... one with very flaky WiFi (as reported here on CC) ... the other with great, free WiFi access that has enabled many travel writers to upload their copy!

We report - you decide.

I trying to get some info on the christening for another poster I came across ton of travel writers that apparently boarded the Star in London so they can review the ship and in particular view and report on the christening which will take place May 17 coinciding with Norway's Constitution Day. This is probably the reason you were delayed and have no internet. They are all reporting back about what a wonderful ship the Star is.