Hotels In Montreal

We are taking the October 24th canada-new england cruise on the sea princess. We are planning to stay in Montreal for 2 days and taking the train to Quebec. What hotel is near the train station and is nice to stay in? Any help would be appreciated.

Hi, I live in Montreal, the Queen Elizabeth which is a deluxe Fairmont hotel, is the one at the train station, you don't even have to go outside.

You also have the Marriott Chateau Champlain. that is very close by about a block or 2 from the Queen E.

To the docks, you need to take a cab from the train station, I live in the old port where the docks are.

If you want to stay near the docks, I recommend the Nelligan in Old Montreal. Very nice boutique style hotel, upscale, nice bar and restaurant with good food.

The pier for the cruise ships are in Old Montreal.

The Central (train) Station is downtown, by car, it takes me about 15 min knowing my way if there is little traffic.

If I can be of any other help please free to ask.

Hi, well the Queen Elizabeth won't work for you either as that is most likely more expensive than the Mariott Chateau Champain as it's a Fairmont Hotel.

Those are the two "closest" hotels to the train station, within walking distance. If you don't mind takeing a cab a short distance then you have a lot more possibilities. I can give you a lot of names, but please give me a price range (US$) will be fine and how far away from the train station is your limit.

You will be downtown just not within walking distance of the station.

Remeber that there is an exchange rate also of approx at the current rate of exchange around 19% meaning you will get 19% more candian money for your US$. Everything is 15% taxable but you should remember to inquire about getting 7% tax back on certain things.

Please let me know some more specifics and I'll be glad to help you.

Hi Sand,

I recommend the Hotel du Fort www.hoteldufort.com

The price is about $135CDN plus tax which comes out to about $110 US plus tax at the current exchange rate.

The tax will be 3% hotel tax (any hotel you stay in) plus 15% which comes out to approx 18.5% tax total for the hotel.

It's about 5 min by cab to the train station, conviently located downtown near shops and restos.

It's about 10 -15 min cab from the cruise ship docks. It's a nice hotel for the $$ you wish to spend in my opinion.

If you need or want more info or if this doesn't work for you, please just ask some more or any other questions you may have.

Bon Voyage, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Hi, from the airport to downtown/hotel, approx 30 - 45 min but could be longer depending on the traffic, there is a "flat rate" taxis have from airport to downtown and you can take the airport bus to downtown also, but I don't know the cost.

I've never taken the train from Montreal to Quebec City, only gone by our private car, but I used to go alot. By car it's about 2-1/2 - 3 hours.

Don't hesitate to ask any other questions you may have. I hope the hotel works for you. And I hope you enjoy your trip.

Hi Sand,

Remember to save your receipts for 7% back on the GST tax, check out my "tax rebate" post and one person posts the website and you can see if you can get the 7% back on the hotel, there is a whole list of what and what does not qualify.

Happy, healthy and safe travels

Hello Mrs. Moose,

I thought I posted this, but it doesn't show up. So here goes again.

We will be in Montreal Oct 12 - 15 and are thinking of booking either at the Square Phillips hotel in downtown or at Auberge Les Passants du San Soucy in Old Town. Do you know anything about these two or have any thoughts about which location would be better? We leave on a cruise on the 15.

Thanks,

Nancy

Hi, no it didn't come through the first time. Ok to answer your questions, the two hotels you have chosen are so different from each other (like night and day). The Augberge is an old style hotel very small, the lobby is an art gallery, not really kid friendly (if that makes a difference) and is like a B & B. I don't know how big the rooms are, but they could be small. As for the section, the cruise docks are right near there and it is a very nice section (I live within walking distance of the Auberge) and most tourists who visit Montreal come to the Old Port (Old Town) to visit and sightsee. Many restaurants, and souvenier shops and art galleries some cobblestone streets.

The Other hotel is large and new and modern and in the heart of downtown, it's completely different. You can walk to restaurants, and department stores, and if it's nightlife.

I can't say either one is better than the other, as far as location, one is downtown, one near the cruise ship. Two different locations and styles of hotels.

If I had to make a choice, I personally hate B & B's anywhere and never stay in them.

It would really depend on what your tasts are, what you like to do and what kind of hotels you normally stay in. Also if it's shopping you want (not just souveniers) then downtown would be better as you can walk to all the shops.

The Auberge really is a small place (I would check if they have an elevator). Its in an old (really old) bldg. and like I said, I would make sure of the size of the rooms and bathroom if that is an issue for you. I'm not saying that they will be small, but I would check in advance if these things matter to you.

For me, they matter, I like a big room and modern but some people love the quaint small B & B's. Also if you smoke, you probably won't be able to smoke in the Auberge so check on that.

If you want to stay in the Old Town, the hotel I would recommend is The Nelligan if you don't smoke.

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask me anything else. I'm leaving tomorrow for the Alaska cruise but I'll check in later today and when I get back after I'm settled I'll come and check again.

Check in this room after the 12th of Sept (gives me enought ime to settle in and get back into my routine). I'll be glad to be of any help I can.

Thanks so much Mrs Moose! I appreciate the help. We love B&B's and do not smoke. There is no elevator but the rooms seem large. However the Square Phillips seems nice too. What to do, what to do?? The web site for the Auberge looks really neat .......I will check the Nelligan.

We love Alaska and know you will have a great time. If you go to Sitka be sure to walk in the National Forest.......sooo pretty and take the brothel tour at the Red Onion in Skagway!

Hi, well of course I can't sleep just yet, so I thought I'd answer,

Vanclan and everyone, Thank you all for your good wishes. I'm happy you find my advice helpful and useful. Others have helped me so much I want to be able to help in any way I can as well as I'm very grateful.

To Crazy4Crusin thank you as well, Now, what to do, I can't tell you, you will have to decide which one appeals to you more, only you can make that decision. The Nelligan is a bigger hotel not far from the Auberge. It's in the same neighborhood, but has elevators a really nice bar/lounge and a very good french restaurant. It's really what I would call a boutique Hotel, and is a non-smokeing hotel.

Takeing a tour of the brothel at the Red Onion is high on my list, lol. I love that old time stuff. We have a tour to Haines booked that morning but I know the brothel tour is a quickie and will do it when we get back from Haines.

Also want to tour Dolly's house in Ketchikan, the other brothel. I just love old houses, I personally live in an apt that dates back the 1800's

Anyway, I'll write when I get back. and if anyone is travelling, I wish you safe, healthy and happy travels.

MrsMoose

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Mrs Moose,

You will no doubt be back from Alaska when you read this and hopefully ?..had a wonderful time!.... I would like to ask your help in deciding on a Hotel in Montreal.....we are looking for a really good Hotel 'suite',either in the Downtown area or the Vieux Port and the following Hotels have been recommended to us :-

Ritz Carlton, Hyatt Regency,Hilton Bonaventure.

Hotel Nelligan, Hotel Le Saint-Sulpice,Hotel le Saint James

We are both light sleepers so a quiet Hotel Suite is important to us

A friend has also suggested that with five (5 ) nights in Montreal we might like to consider a serviced apartment such as 'Luxurious Lofts du Vieux Port' or ??

I should explain that we live in Florida and the Caribbean, have fortunately or unfortunately tastes for the finer things,not always achievable or affordable but strived for !.......We are in Montreal from Oct 16th to 21st to board the Silver Whisper for the 'Colonial Coast & Florida' Cruise .

I realise that what we are asking is somewaht of a tall order ,but any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated,David

We were in Montreal for a couple of nights this summer and stayed at the Place d'Armes in Old Montreal. It is a sister hotel to the Nelligan. It was one of the most beautiful hotel, especially our room that I have ever stayed in. Huge rooms, gas fireplaces, faux fur throws on the bed, wonderful huge bathrooms. We payed about 170.00 Canadian. It included breakfast and wine and snacks for a happy hour. Check for specials on their web site ( http://www.hotelplacedarmes.com/en/ ) as the price that we payed was discounted.

Laurie

Hi, yes I'm back.

I will suggest what I think will give you the most luxury from what I know. I don't know how the Hyatt and Bonavature are these days.

I would suggest the Ritz Carlton, or the Queen Elizabeth which is a Fairmont Hotel and both are downtown and large hotels.

The Nelligan, St. Suplice and St. James are what I would call boutique hotels and very nice. I know I have cocktails very often at the Nelligan (I live in the old part of town) These are close to the cruise ships. When the Rolling Stones were in town I believe they stayed at the St. James. These are smaller hotels.

If only for a week and you don't plan on cooking I would not take an apartment, don't see the need for it. I think the Nelligan includes a complimatary breakfast.

It really all comes down to what you like. As for noise, at this time of year, the Old Port is quiet as well (it can be very noisy in the summer) so I don't think noise will be a problem. As for the Ritz and Queen E, I would think you would be fine with either as they are not on a street where the "nightlife is".

It's really hard as I like big 5 star luxury hotels and never choose a boutique hotel for myself.

I know all the hotels, while the Hyatt and Bonaventure are fine hotels, those are the 2 I would not choose for myself if I had to. I would say the Ritz would be the best choice out of the 3 (especially for noise levels, don't know if there will be any "groups for hockey in and they can get noisy".

Please feel free to ask any more questions, perhpas I could be more help if you told me what was most important to you in location and things like that.

Thank you Lacy and Mrs.Moose......your advise is very much appreciated.

we shall be driving up from Toronto,visiting friends along the way,and hopefully spending one day visiting the Laurentians and another with family in Brossard and otherwise just hanging out in the City...one of us will probably spend a fair amount of time shopping as Wive`s are won`t to do!

I would have to say that we are leaning towards the Ritz at this time even though the Nelligan looks very intersting ...anything of a cultural nature on at that time ??...The Cirque de Soleil would be wonderful but is probably not on !

Otherwise we are very much looking forward to visiting ' La Belle Province ' David

No Cirque was finished late spring I think. There generally is something at Place des Arts (check out the website) and depending on your tastes, maybe something at the Molson Center (the new forum). Museum of Fine Arts downtown (a couple of blocks from the Ritz) is always nice.

Shopping wise, downtown is better, since you have a Holts in TO and better and bigger, but it's right near the Ritz, about a block, but I would tell the wife to check out Olgilviy (a couple of blocks from the Ritz) you don't have one in TO

Also downtown check out where the Eaton Center used to be, they have a Les Ailles store and some other boutqiues that the wife might like, although I don't know her style/taste, but these shops usually have a little bit for everyone.

Can't go wrong with the Ritz in my opinion, just two different neighborhoods, depends where you want to spend more time. Ritz probably higher in price too. I love the bar at the Nelligan, but in my opinion both are good as since the tourist season is pretty much over, should not have noise in Old Montreal (in the summer I would say avoid it as it's noisey).

Have loads of fun and safe, healthy and happy travels.

Please let me know how your trip goes

• 6 years later...

I am looking for a very nice hotel, easy to get to from the cruise port and then easy to get our parents to the train the next day. We'd like an area we can walk a short distance and see things, but also on the send second day after my husband and I drop our parents on the train, we can walk a longer distance and want to see as much as possible. We may even consider switching hotels. 200-250 range may be okay.

I am looking for a very nice hotel, easy to get to from the cruise port and then easy to get our parents to the train the next day. We'd like an area we can walk a short distance and see things, but also on the send second day after my husband and I drop our parents on the train, we can walk a longer distance and want to see as much as possible. We may even consider switching hotels. 200-250 range may be okay.

The Queen E is right above the train station in downtown Montreal.

The port is close to Old Montreal

Archived