Question for viking ocean cruises rep

theremin

RE: Authorized stop-over cities.

I am trying to find out whether Viking intends to add Bergen, Norway to the current list of "authorized" stop-over cities (i.e., where one can deviate the air fare to stay 1 or 2 extra days).

It seems unusual that Bergen is not on the list given that it is either the origin or terminus for 3 of 7 Baltic cruises offered by Viking. I appreciate any information or insight you can offer.

Go to the the Viking oceans site, under "My Trip", select "Air Service", then "Viking Air". This links to a description of most things air. Scrolling down the page one will find a section called "Viking Air Plus".

The first two bullets contain links to lists. I do not claim to understand them fully (the second list just showed up in the last two days), but the first seems to list cruise beginning or end cities where early arrival or late departure (in days) can be added. The second appears to be a list of waypoints that can be added between U.S gateway cities and cruise origin/end cities.

NOTE: Some type of fee should be expected when any non-standard arrangement is requested.

I have sent Viking an email per sitraveler's suggestion and they did respond quickly. However, they didn't seem to understand my question. I will try again and if I get further information, I will post it verbatim on this thread.

For the record, I am trying to add 2 days in Bergen to the end of "Into the Midnight Sun (2017)", but was rebuffed at my original booking by the phone rep because it "wasn't offered", at that time.

When we booked our July 2015 Viking Homelands cruise we were told that we could deviate the trip by staying later or coming in earlier to Stockholm where the ship originated and Bergen where the we disembarked. The cost for this deviation was to be $50 pp. We were also told that we could deviate by making a stopover to Milan on the way home. This cost would be an additional $200-$300 pp.

It turned out that when the time came to book our flights with Viking we were told that we could not do a stopover in Milan since it was not on the list for the Viking Homelands cruise. We were also told that we would not be given our flights until 45 days before the cruise and we could not choose them. This is very different from the original info we received from Viking. Each cruise seems to have different rules depending on their originating and disembarking ports. I really didn't trust Viking to arrange my air at this point since I got so much misinformation. We booked our own and took the credit.

The bottom line is be careful about the info received. Each cruise has different rules and stopover cities associated with the custom air. If you want direct flights etc. make certain that your specific cruise permits you choosing the flights and not Viking.

I think (and can be wrong) is that if you only want to stay a couple of days before/after in Bergen before heading home than the deviation covers that.

Edited by TERRIER1