Viking Star Mechanical Issues. Stuck in Tallinn

iggy25

We encountered electrical issues pertaining to one of the engines that provide purpultion. Stuck in Tallinn for 3 days and perhaps our trip may end here. Being told over and over that they are waiting on a part. Its been 3 days, are they shipping it snail mail?? Already missed Poland, Germany and who knows if we will even get to Copenhagen. Not much of anything to do on board. Bored out of our minds.

Thougt a mid size ship would have all ages and lots to do. Wrong! It's like one big river cruise.

Viking had our money for 2 years, better see some $$$ back as oppsed to a credit if it comes down to this. Will never use Viking again. Extrememly dissapointed.

We are on the same cruise and I find your post incomprehensible!

Viking and its crew has done everything possible to make the best out of an unfortunate situation. This is a mechanical issue that could not be foreseen by Viking. I do not hold them responsible for this.

Yes, it is disappointing but we are in a better than 5 star hotel with wonderful food and drinks , a beautiful gym, a luxurious spa as well as lectures and entertainment and now free excursions to Estonia and beyond.

If one is bored then I suggest they look inward, rather than blame Viking. I have no doubt that Viking will make this right by us. I'm sorry that people will take this opportunity to try and get their money refunded instead of enjoying the wonderful surroundings and accept the situation for what is is - an unfortunate circumstance.

We hope all of the unhappy people choose to go home - it will make the stay more pleasant for the rest of us and the crew who has done everything possible to make the best of a difficult situation. i would not hesitate to travel with Viking again!

I am so sorry and sad for all that this is happening. I hope that there will be solutions offered very quickly that will allow a bad situation to have options that will allow for different preferences - whether the choice is to remain on board or not....

Just a nit picky response to PoppyDeeDee, but I think a mechanical issue IS Viking's responsibility and something they should have had contingencies in place for. Weather issues, dock strikes, acts of terrorism, low/high water on river cruises - those I would call beyond Viking's control. But mechanical issues fall in Viking's court IMO. Otherwise I agree with your post overall.

I feel for the passengers stuck there - so glad this did not happen while we were aboard. Hopefully you are being comped some optional excursions outside Tallinn and they will in fact give you some / most / all your money back and not a future cruise credit! Thinking of you and hoping you make it to Copenhagen!

ID4Elizabeth,

Actually now the trip has ended in Tallinn. Options are to go home on the 4th or stay and see if we can sail to Bergen for 3 days at sea and then fly home with no real time to explore Bergen.

The ship is lovely, I am an experienced traveler and understand unforeseen circumstances. I have quite a few ships to compare this to, so I do not have to look "within". We are missing 7 ports. We saved and saved for this trip of a lifetime for us. We don't know when we can travel again. I guess PapaDeeDee doesn't have to worry about the money and being compensated like some of us hardworking people do. Hope you have a nice trip, hopefully they will have worked out the kinks out when you go.

Dear Cruise Critic members & Viking guests,

As you now know, Viking Star is currently docked in Tallinn after experiencing a mechanical issue during the July 25th departure of our Viking Homelands itinerary. The mechanical issue is related to the electric transformers in one part of the ship’s propulsion system. This particular issue is highly unusual, and while the malfunction had no impact on the engines or generators, it does require effort to repair it. While the work continues, we are unable to proceed with the cruise and after considerable deliberation we have made the difficult decision to cancel the remaining portion of the itinerary. We understand that our guests are disappointed with this outcome – and we are too. Please rest assured that we have carefully considered all possible options. Your enjoyment of the cruise and your safety are paramount in all decisions we have made.

We have presented a plan to our 900+ onboard guests to either bring them home or to their next destination should they have scheduled further travel, and we have developed two options.

Option 1: Viking will make flight arrangement for guests to return home from Tallinn in the timeliest manner possible.

Option 2: For guests who wish to remain in the Baltic for as long as they had planned, we are happy to host them aboard Viking Star until Tuesday, and then fly them to Bergen, Norway. There, we will accommodate them in a local hotel for the remainder of the scheduled cruise and show them the best this beautiful region of Norway has to offer. At the end of their stay, they may continue their onward journey as scheduled.

We thank you in advance for your patience; please bear with us as we work as fast as we can to address each individual traveler’s needs and concerns. Our Customer Relations team will contact all impacted guests upon their return home. Our guests’ satisfaction is important to Viking and we will be looking to make amends for these disruptions.

Sincerely,

Viking Cruises

Dear Cruise Critic members & Viking guests,

As you now know, Viking Star is currently docked in Tallinn after experiencing a mechanical issue during the July 25th departure of our Viking Homelands itinerary. The mechanical issue is related to the electric transformers in one part of the ship’s propulsion system. This particular issue is highly unusual, and while the malfunction had no impact on the engines or generators, it does require effort to repair it. While the work continues, we are unable to proceed with the cruise and after considerable deliberation we have made the difficult decision to cancel the remaining portion of the itinerary. We understand that our guests are disappointed with this outcome – and we are too. Please rest assured that we have carefully considered all possible options. Your enjoyment of the cruise and your safety are paramount in all decisions we have made.

We have presented a plan to our 900+ onboard guests to either bring them home or to their next destination should they have scheduled further travel, and we have developed two options.

Option 1: Viking will make flight arrangement for guests to return home from Tallinn in the timeliest manner possible.

Option 2: For guests who wish to remain in the Baltic for as long as they had planned, we are happy to host them aboard Viking Star until Tuesday, and then fly them to Bergen, Norway. There, we will accommodate them in a local hotel for the remainder of the scheduled cruise and show them the best this beautiful region of Norway has to offer. At the end of their stay, they may continue their onward journey as scheduled.

We thank you in advance for your patience; please bear with us as we work as fast as we can to address each individual traveler’s needs and concerns. Our Customer Relations team will contact all impacted guests upon their return home. Our guests’ satisfaction is important to Viking and we will be looking to make amends for these disruptions.

Sincerely,

Viking Cruises

Whilst Ho Hum cannot speak for ALL Sea Dream passengers on Cruise Critic nevertheless we wish you all the very best in resolving this unfortunate incident as soon as possible.

You are to be applauded for diagnosing the problem quickly and taking the considered action you have done as well as informing people openly.

You and your crew will also be naturally disappointed by events and we wish them well also.

To a swift co clusion. All the very best from Sea Dream followers.