Astoria

Has anyone ever done an excursion in Astoria. Thinking about doing Shot in Astoria, supposed to go to a museum where they show things from The Goonies. Would like to bring home souvenirs of the Goonies. Is that the only way to get those souvenirs?

Astoria is so much more than Goonies or Kindergarten Cop. The town is easily walk-able. As a native Angeleno I don't understand the 'glamour' of the movies. When filming it's a big PITA to go around.

Trolley

Brewpubs

Maritime Museum

Josephson's Smokehouse, maple canned salmon :)

The BowPicker for fish and chips, not always open

Brew pubs!

Astoria Tower

Lewis and Clark

Firehouse museum

Did I mention Brew Pubs? Kids fell in love with Wasabi beer (non-alcoholic)

http://www.astoriaoregon.com/

Sounds like an excursion that basically takes you to the town museum! This was the prison in the movie, from which the villains escape at the beginning, and contains buttloads of memorabilia. While it's still possible to walk up to the Goonies house, due to so many inconsiderate fans you're no longer allowed on the property or to park on the street outside.

There are plenty of websites out there with detailed listings of the sites of filming, remaining properties used etc. if you want to DIY a tour taking in some of the highlights of locally-shot movies you enjoyed - but personally I feel the Maritime Museum is the crown jewel of Astoria proper, and Fort Clatsop the best nearby site to visit. The views from the column are pretty good too.

You definitely won't need to take an excursion - there's an open air market put on by the town whenever ships dock, I'd be shocked if there weren't movie merchandise being sold by at least a few vendors there. You might find this useful.

If there's something specific you're looking to buy rather than just keychains/poster type knickknacks, try contacting the museum to see what they have for sale that's more interesting. The museum (officially the Oregon Film Museum) is about a mile-and-a-half walk from pier 1 where cruise ships dock, but shuttle buses and the riverfront trolley provide lazier options to get near, and Astoria is big enough to have multiple taxi companies.

The maritime museum is another half-mile - the trolley stops right outside this and also runs further along, to my pick of the pubs, the Rogue located out on the old pier 39 right over the water. Sea lions a-go-go too.

You definitely won't need to take an excursion - there's an open air market put on by the town whenever ships dock, I'd be shocked if there weren't movie merchandise being sold by at least a few vendors there. You might find this useful.

If there's something specific you're looking to buy rather than just keychains/poster type knickknacks, try contacting the museum to see what they have for sale that's more interesting. The museum (officially the Oregon Film Museum) is about a mile-and-a-half walk from pier 1 where cruise ships dock, but shuttle buses and the riverfront trolley provide lazier options to get near, and Astoria is big enough to have multiple taxi companies.

The maritime museum is another half-mile - the trolley stops right outside this and also runs further along, to my pick of the pubs, the Rogue located out on the old pier 39 right over the water. Sea lions a-go-go too.

I will do what you said. Thanks so much for the helpful info.

Astoria is so much more than Goonies or Kindergarten Cop. The town is easily walk-able. As a native Angeleno I don't understand the 'glamour' of the movies. When filming it's a big PITA to go around.

Trolley

Brewpubs

Maritime Museum

Josephson's Smokehouse, maple canned salmon :)

The BowPicker for fish and chips, not always open

Brew pubs!

Astoria Tower

Lewis and Clark

Firehouse museum

Did I mention Brew Pubs? Kids fell in love with Wasabi beer (non-alcoholic)

http://www.astoriaoregon.com/

I just booked a cruise for April 2017 that includes Astoria. I'm so excited for my cruise and will definitely check out your list of points of interest.

• 3 weeks later...

The coast and countryside are quite beautiful too, rewarding a rental car and day trip drive. Nice nearby wineries to visit too, some with little cafe's that offer nice views with good views.

I grew up in Oregon. Miss it.

- Joel

Just plan a local day doing all the suggested itineraries from the above posts but then do not be surprised if your cruise skips this port. A narrow entrance channel and irregular currents make this high if not number one on the list of west coast ports that are skipped on cruises.

We enjoyed our port day in Astoria, Oregon. Because ships are sometimes unable to make it into Astoria, we decided to plan a DIY day, rather than rent a car or book an excursion.

We printed a local Astoria street map from this website and found it, as well as other information on the website, helpful in planning our day:

http://www.travelastoria.com/about/

We bought all day passes for a local shuttle, which departs from the cruise port approximately every 15 minutes, for $7.00 per person. The price also included the Old Riverfront Trolley. We visited the Maritime Museum and the Astoria Column. We also walked a little downtown and along the waterfront, and ate lunch at the Buoy Beer Company.