Cheapskate Speciality Dining Package Question

egurbi

I've searched but I haven't been able to find an answer to this question on the Boards. I have two balcony rooms for a family of five and have selected the specialty dining plan as one of my "free at sea" options for both rooms. I understand this entitles me to 3 specialty meals for the first 2 guests in each room. This can be considered to be 12 "covers" (2 times 3 for each room). Will NCL allow me to use it this way so I can make reservations for 5 people for 2 specialty restaurants (thereby using 10 covers) and 1 meal for 2 (thereby using 2 covers) for a total of 12 covers. Or are they going to charge me for the "extra" 5th person at the first two meals and not apply the credit of the Specialty dining plan? I know this is a cheapskate question, but I am hoping someone has had experience with this before and knows how to get the full benefit of the SDP I selected. Thank you.

Strictly speaking the SDP is not transferable, so a single package cannot be shared by more than one person. You can't add up all the meals you have across both cabins and say that you now have x number of meals that you get to distribute as you like.

You can try asking on board if they will let you do what you want, but those are the rules, and the specialty restaurant staff tend be quite strict about applying them.

In hindsight, I should have selected a different "free at sea" benefit.
Unless you're already on board, you should still be able to change your choice. Contact NCL or your TA. Lots of people have said they were able to choose a different perk among the choices that were available when they booked (which may be different from what is being offered now).

Thank you for the prompt replies. I understand the logic, and now the rules, thank you. In hindsight, I should have selected a different "free at sea" benefit.

You could just purchase a 3 meal SDP for the 5th person and everyone will be able to eat at 3 specialty restaurants during your cruise.

You could just purchase a 3 meal SDP for the 5th person and everyone will be able to eat at 3 specialty restaurants during your cruise.

This is what we did. We bought a 4-night package for our third guest just to keep things simple. We'll probably do the same for our 2018 cruise (but that perk is only three nights).