Finally worked out where Silver Wind and Cloud turnaround on the Thames

les37b

The journey was a bit of a blur... I thought we'd already passed Canary Wharf before the ship stopped and the tugs did their bit to turn them around so the leave London right way round.

This evening, I was looking for images to use on a photobook and came across my GoPro images taken in June 2015 and found some of the actual turning process. It rained when we left london and filming stopped just short of that point.

Anyway.... I will get round to uploading the clips on youtube at some point.... But X marks the spot. (I could identify some of the buildings - in particular the small red round building (first photo - look above the tug) and the little white house in the second which looks odd . Its virtually above Rotherhithe tunnel. Its literally just 1.5Km from Tower Bridge. I could have sworn it was further.

76dc56f52f50452d8c1b2b163bdfbdef.jpeg

13f5c507b2714c87bb15509c807f9442.jpeg

Google Maps 1

Google maps 2

Google Map 3 - Look at the Pin on the map

Metropolitan Wharf was another building recognised.

30d19c8c64eb465a96b0756cc2db1774.jpeg

Close Up

4320d299beff4d898083a2b8fdc2cba3.jpeg

Mystery Finally solved.

Edited by les37b

Nice detective work. It's really that close? I too have a hard time believing that, but you are right.

I just re-examined our pics from 2014 and we turned around by the famous bar called "The Prospect of Whitby" and also the "Old Salt Quay" was on the opposite bank. The former appears in your first picture (tiny white building) and the latter in your second picture.

By the time we reached Limehouse Marina, we were facing forward and sailing in the right direction.

Edited by jpalbny

Nice detective work. It's really that close? I too have a hard time believing that.

Its 100% definitely at that spot as the landmarks are conclusive. I can only think the

, was turned off pretty much as we got to the spot. I expect its easy to forget its not travelling fast and despite on the map it looks close, it is a mile away.

Looking again, that is exactly the case.

If you freeze 1 second before the end and look ahead to the right. You will see 4 larger beige buildings and a white block just before it about 200 yards away. The building straight after is the round red building. Strange but true.... It travels far less than we both thought!

Edit - It would seem from my original it went on a few seconds longer and the buildings are clearer in this photo. Canary Wharf is directly behind in the distance.

f19a0366c10b454a8285b19f4a2d00eb.jpeg

I have just viewed a clip I did from the turn around point to way past Dartford Bridge taken from the aft.

I will post them in the thread once I get a mo to add some music!

Edited by les37b

They certainly are, and they match our pictures too. Just hard to believe, as it seems like we were moving backwards for a long time!

I actually thought we had passed Canary Wharf, but the thing wrong with that theory is that we didnt reach Greenwich for quite some time. I do remember being at the turnaround spot for quite a time. Possibly 30 minutes.

On another video I did....

I'm sure thats those 4 beige buildings right behind. (1m 46s - but needs to be full screen.) What do you think? Edited by les37b