Singapore - Buying Wine

BlackJack2

• 2 weeks later...
In Singapore - Can anyone recommend a good place to purchase a couple bottles of wine? We need a couple of bottles for our cabin.

Wine in Singapore is generally expensive.

I assume you are flying into Singapore. One place to get is duty free wine at Singapore Changi Airport, after immigration but before baggage claim. Available at all terminals - you need to show your passport and boarding passes. Duty-Free allowance is 2 bottles of wine and 3 cans of beer. (you can mix and match, see the video)

DFS at Changi Terminal 3 looks like this.

[YOUTUBE]k4F7PmOrQe4[/YOUTUBE]

Alternatively, if you are near a Cold Storage or an NTUC or a local supermart, they have some wine. Are you staying in Singapore pre-cruise? If you let me know your hotel, I can direct you to the nearest supermart.

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Thank you for the wonderful information. We are staying at the Royal Plaza on Scotts.

We stayed there and liked the Hotel very much, also the surrounding area is filled with inexpensive restaurants.

On our trips to East Asia, we have found that wine is not a popular East Asian beverage. It is usually too expensive and the local wines are awful. We usually switch to beer and tea on our Asian trips.

We flew to SIN and stayed a few days before our SIN-HKG cruise on Azamara at the end of last year. I just packed wine (& Bourbon) in my suitcase. It was more a question of having what I wanted than not getting a good price - and also, since we were on Azamara, we had alcohol included in our fare. We just wanted a little something for our cabin! (heck, we even stayed in a club room in SIN so we had alcohol receptions in the afternoon) We did buy some beer and kept that in our fridge (in our hotel and in our cabin) too.

I knew I'd be checking a bag, I know how to pack properly, so it was easier for me to travel with what I wanted than to find it once there.

Thank you for the wonderful information. We are staying at the Royal Plaza on Scotts.

There's a FairPrice supermarket just across the street in the Scotts Square Building. To give you a point of comparison on prices, it has some Robert Mondavi Woodbridge whites priced at SGD28 per bottle.

• 2 weeks later...
We stayed there and liked the Hotel very much, also the surrounding area is filled with inexpensive restaurants.

On our trips to East Asia, we have found that wine is not a popular East Asian beverage. It is usually too expensive and the local wines are awful. We usually switch to beer and tea on our Asian trips.

That's right, plenty of inexpensive eats around. Definitely no need to eat in the hotel itself if you didn't care for it.

These videos should be useful for you.

[YOUTUBE]EPUXn3coyWE[/YOUTUBE]

Also check out Far East Plaza, which is right opposite your hotel.

[YOUTUBE]ERpHfFfDF1Q[/YOUTUBE]

There's a FairPrice supermarket just across the street in the Scotts Square Building. To give you a point of comparison on prices, it has some Robert Mondavi Woodbridge whites priced at SGD28 per bottle.

Yeah, the Fairprice would be a logical place to get your couple of bottles. Wine in Singapore is expensive.

What about buying vodka in Singapore? Are there stores that would sell America type of toiletries? Toothpate, haispray etc,?

We are staying at Fairmont on Bras Basah Road

:)

I think Fairprice would have some vodka, not sure. Sorry, but what are America type toiletries? I think you would find all those in Fairprice or the pharmacy stores like Watsons.

Fairmont is located in a very bustling location with plenty of shops in Raffles City as well as the underground linkages to the Marina area.

Are there stores that would sell America type of toiletries? Toothpate, haispray etc,?

We are staying at Fairmont on Bras Basah Road

:)

There is a big supermarket in the lowest level (B1) of the Raffles City shopping mall which I think is directly connected to your hotel. There is also a Watsons on that level. You should be able to get toothpaste, hairspray etc there but not necessarity the brands you get in the US.