Viking River Cruise - Grand European

Denmal

We are booked on the Grand European river cruise on Viking in June 2018 leaveing Budapest and going to Amsterdam. It is a 15 day cruise. I looked at our confirmation yesterday and found out I have to make my final payment by June 30th 2017 A year in advance. I have called the Viking travel agent representative I booked it through but no call back yet. Have others had to pay a year in advance? They have use of my money for a year - Am I crazy - That is NUTS

Any ideas on how to get the date moved ? I want to go on the cruise and do not want to loose my deposit

Thanks

Denise ( Denmal )

Hello Denmal,

from my European perspective this payment policy is non-standard and quite literally ouuut of the ordinary (and they know they cannot apply this in the European Union), you will not find these terms in the EU. From a North-American point of view - where I assume you are hence your booking terms - Viking is "notorious" on this board with that and people regularly mention it. Here is a thread that might help calm your nerves while you wait for fellow North-Americans (and your TA) to reply: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1753506

notamermaid

I have tried to get the payment date extended but cannot!!! This is nuts. Already a negative experience with Viking and we have not taken the cruise yet.....I am going to write to the President of Viking.....

Good!

While you are waiting in excitement :) for the cruise date to arrive may I recommend reading the stickies by our host jazzbeau for lots of info. You could also add your name to the river cruise roll calls. Even if nobody will join you on your cruise you can discuss details with others travelling the same way.

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

UPDATE: Wrote an email to the president of Viking and their customer service desk - and got the payment date changed !!!

Good for you, we booked Vantage leaving next month and the only reason I paid 9 months in advance was I received an additional 10% off my cruise.

We have booked Viking Ocean for next year and my travel agent got final payment 6 months out.