Need advice please

NightRN

Hi Everyone!

I'm new here and need some recommendations/info. My 70-year-old mother-in-law is in poor health and wants to go on a Hawaiian cruise next year. (By poor health, I mean that she probably only has a couple of years left not a couple of months like it sounded.) She wants myself and my sister-in-law to go with her. She can not fly, so we would have to leave from somewhere on the California coast - it's within driving distance.

I've looked, but the only option I've seen is to take a cruise from San Francisco to Hawaii, and then book another cruise from Hawaii back to San Francisco. This would take over 20 days. I really don't want to be away from my family that long. Are there any other options?

She can walk short distances, but is mostly wheel-chair bound. I've only recently done a 3-night cruise with my husband for the first time. I can't imagine being stuck in that small of a room with my in-laws that long. :rolleyes: My sister-in-law and mother-in-law have never been on one. What would be your recommendations for us newbies?

Princess goes from Los Angeles round trip in 15 days. Out of that 15 days half of them are spent at sea because it takes almost 5 days to get there. If you are flying from California the flight isn't that long.

I know you said your m-I-l "can't fly", but I just wanted to add that I know lots of people with disabilities that do fly. It is possible, so perhaps you could reconsider that option. The flight from SFO-HNL really isn't that bad -- it's direct and on a fairly comfy aircraft. So, think about it. Wheelchair assistance is available if that is an issue.

If you decide to give it go, then I recommend NCLs new pride of America (which sails form HNL).

The advantage of this ship (IMHO), is that it sails an all-Hawaii itin and you are in port every day -- no all day sea days. (NCL is the only line that can do this because they have US-flagged ships). Plus you overnight in two ports. If you think you might be getting claustrophobic in your cabin, this might work for you as you can get off the ship and do things here and there. I would also recommend getting a balcony cabin, because you can go out there or just open the door for some fresh air. If the crowd in the cabin is getting to you, you can even go out on your balcony and take a nap in the lounge chair.

If your m-i-l needs an accessible cabin, they do have them on this ship. And they have a pretty good selection. Add you can always rent a folding wheelchair and have it delivered to your cabin if she has problems doing distances (and doesn't have her own wc).

Candy

We also try to avoid flying. You can take the train from the Bay area (or drive) to either LA or San Diego and go round trip from there. Holland America (San Diego) and Princess (LA) offer 15 day round trips all winter. Celebrity and RCI are also running trips RT from CA to HI. We have done this 3 times and had a very relaxing and fun trip each time.

I would definately recommend you get two cabins...one for you and your husband, and one close by (wheelchair accessible) for your MIL and her companion or husband. All of these cruise lines offer wheelchair accessible cabins, but you will need to book very soon as these cabins book up far ahead.

Celebrity does a 14 day round trip from San Diego. You have 4 days at sea then crusing the islands and then four days at sea back to San Diego. There is a one hour stop in Ensenada to cover the "you must visit a foreign port" law, but you don't get off the ship for that short stop. You can take a ride on I 8 out of Tucson direct to San Diego.

I did a quick search for next year. Ships doing HI round trips from California next year include Celebrity Summit (LA), Island Princess (LA), Holland America Amsterdam (San Diego), Holland America Zaandam (San Diego), and Celebrity Infinity (LA). These are sailing 14 and 15 night cruises. The sailings are offered at different times throughout the year.

RCI is offering two round trip HI cruises next year, one from San Diego in the Spring and one from LA in the Fall, but both of those sold out a long time ago. Slots might come available close to final payment time though.

I'm assuming that RCI is Royal Caribbean. Why do they sell out so quickly? Are they really good? Which cruise line do you think would be best for us? My mother-in-law is in her 70s. My sister-in-law and I are in our 30's.

Also, if money wasn't too big of an option, what kind of room would you recommend? Or should we just get three separate rooms? Do any of them have a refrigerator to keep my mother-in-law's insulin in?

Since she mostly uses a wheelchair you would need a wheelchair accessible cabin so you need to book early because they go fast and a wheelchair won't fit through the door on a regular cabin. If there are only 3 of you going you will want a cabin for 3.

Cruise cabins are sold on double occupancy basis so if only one person is in the cabin they will pay the full price for one plus about 90% of the other fare. They don't charge a full double person fare but it's close.

I'm assuming that RCI is Royal Caribbean. Why do they sell out so quickly? Are they really good? Which cruise line do you think would be best for us? My mother-in-law is in her 70s. My sister-in-law and I are in our 30's.

Also, if money wasn't too big of an option, what kind of room would you recommend? Or should we just get three separate rooms? Do any of them have a refrigerator to keep my mother-in-law's insulin in?

Celebrity would be my first choice. HAL probably second. I have not cruised on Princess yet.

Marie

Wheelchair accessible cabins for 3 people are difficult to come by. HAL has some, Princess has a few (usually requiring a bunk bed for 1 person) and RCI and Celebrity also have a few (bunk or sofa bed). If you want some privacy, or can't get one of these booked, you may want to go with 2 cabins. If you are rich, get private cabins, but the price is usually 180-200% of the regular shared cabin fare. If you can get a cabin for 3, the 3rd person goes at nearly 1/2 the regular fare, and you can then split the cabin costs 3 ways.

There are very few accessible cabins on most ships, and these often sell out months or even years ahead. Other cabins may be available until a few weeks prior to a trip except for very popular cruises, but last minute accessible cabins are as rare as hens teeth.

Some ships have refrigerators in the cabins (Princess and RCI) while some do not (HAL). Best to check with the individual ship cabin descriptions, which you can find on the cruise line's website generally. Your TA should also be able to get this information. Of course most insulin does not require refrigeration...only prevention of extreme temperatures. In the absence of a refrigerator, you can keep it in the ship's hospital, but there hours are very limited.

Archived