Barcelona B & B

Just returned from Med cruise and 5 days in Barcelona. We booked a new (relatively unknown) B&B called "The 5 Rooms". It was FANTASTIC! It's located about a block from the north side of Placa Catalunya - northeast of Placa Catalunya on Pau Claris - a few steps from a Metro stop. From the outside it is an old, unassuming building. You go through a groundfloor atrium (being restored at the time we were there) ... up an old, small elevator that is in the center of the old stairwell ... to the 1st floor (2nd floor by American standards) ... through a beautifully carved, old wood door ... to a totally modern, restored apartment. There are several common rooms for enjoying breakfast, reading ... or just relaxing and chatting with other guests. The rooms (five of them) ... each different and with their own bath ... are very large by European standards and even large by American standards. The beds are approximately American queen size ... not the two twins pushed together that is common here. The rooms have individually controlled central A/C ... totally soundproofed windows ... furnished in popular modernist decor in white with splashes of color and fresh greenery ... wood floors ... modern, contemporary bathrooms in tile and chrome. The front rooms open onto small balconies which over-look the busy street (but TOTALLY quiet when you close the doors). Rooms have small TV's (satellite) and DVD players.

A simple continental breakfast every morning ... juices ... coffee / teas ... breads ... jams ... meats ... cheeses ... cereals ... plenty to get your day going ... is included each day.

The most wonderful part of the place is the proprietress - Yessica. She is an energetic, young woman who loves her city. She will point you in the right direction for the best restaurants ... shopping .. sights to see ... etc. She speaks very good English (and German, Spanish and Catalan) and "clued us in" on how to use the Metro ... tipping guidelines ... when to go places ... where the "locals" eat ... etc.

We found a jewel and will definitely seek her out whenever we are in Barcelona. If you contact her ... please, tell her that Maurice & Madeleine said "Hi". Thanks.

Thanks for sharing your new discovery with us. I've already sent an email out to Yessica. I currently have a reservation for next June at Hotel Continental Palacete but your description of the hotel does peak my interest. Would you classify this as a 3 or 4 star hotel? There's not much in terms of information on the hotel website.

Sharon

Sharon - I don't know if I could really rate this as a "hotel". It's a totally different experience. No services such as bellmen ... 24hr front desk ... fancy lobbies ... concierge ... room service ... etc. It's like staying in someone's home. There is a housekeeper that prepares breakfast and cleans the rooms each day. Yessica lives in a seperate apartment right next door and is readily available by phone or in person. All the time we were there we would see others (a business man from Italy, a couple from Germany and a student from another part of Spain) at breakfast or coming and going later in the day. They were all very pleasant and we had nice conversations. It was a relaxing experience ... no busy hotel lobbies ... no long dark corridors ... just very pleasant surroundings. So I'm sorry I really can't rate it by the "star" system because it lacks a lot of the amenities that a hotel is rated on. It is very clean ... very contemporary ... very large rooms with all the modern conveniences ... packaged in an old apartment building that's in the process of being restored. If you have access to "Women" magazine (I'm not sure where it's published) ... the August edition has a 5 or 6 page layout and story about the place ... also, Yessica mentioned that a German travel magazine is running a similar story.

Help

I may be incompetent, but none of my searches has turned up "The 5 Rooms" (lots of real estate ads, but no B&B in Barcelona).

Can you help me with a web-site or e-mail address please - it sounds like just the place we would really enjoy.

Les

patnles -

The web site is - http://www.the5rooms.com - and you can contact Yessica by email at - info(at)the5rooms.com ... replace the (at) with @. I write it this way to foil the automatic spam bots so her email isn't swamped with junk mail. If you wish to contact her by telephone ... he number is - 93 342 78 80. If you do contact her ... please tell her that Maurice & Madeleine said "Hi". Hope this helps.

Hi M&M

Thanks - I finally received your message - the automatic e-mail notification somehow broke down and did not tell me about your reply.

I will send off an e-mail to Yessica soon (and tell them Madeleine and Maurice told me to do it).

Thanks

Les

:)

I don't remember exactly how I heard about The 5 Rooms ... it was in a posting in some forum ... possibly in TripAdvisor. We had been searching for an apartment rental or a B&B. The cost (we were there Oct 17th-21st) was $120 euros + 7% tax. Her rate may vary depending upon the season ... I really don't know. I was a little hesitant ... because of lack of other comments. But we decided to go ahead and jump right in. Like I've posted elsewhere - it was one of the highlights of our trip.

Just made a reservation for "The 5 rooms" and rates are still $120 euros + 7% tax. I asked for a non-smoking room in the front and Yessica confirmed that it was available. I also mentioned that you recommended the establishment. Thanks!

swong - I really believe you'll be pleased with your choice. I know June is a long way off ... but be sure to stop in and post your opinions when you return. BTW - Yessica's suggestions for restaurants and tapas bars was right on the money ... we tried several and were well pleased ... some that we dug up on our own were disappointing.

Each room has a slightly different bathroom. All appear (from pictures) to be similar in style. I can speak for the one we were in ... it was VERY contemporary ... ultra modern sinks, toilet, shower head. It had a huge walk-in tiled shower with dark grey tiles, lighter grey walls and one wall was an accent wall of textured stainless steel. The double (actually a long trough-like) sink with double faucets was separated from the shower/toilet area by a door. I do not believe any of the rooms have tubs ... but if you email Yessica - I'm sure she'll reply quickly. Toiletries were minimal ... soap and shampoo ... but the bath towels were HUGE and thick ... about the size of U.S. bath sheets. BTW - coming from a cruise - we had five pieces of luggage ... we found places to store them all ... out of the way and semi-inconspicuous.

Thanks for the info for this B & B. I have just received confirmation from Yessica for one night pre-cruise. Looking forward to spending time in Barcelona and at this B & B.

These boards are so great. Thanks for passing your experience along.

Hi! Thanks for posting about your B&B find! I am looking for a place to stay in Barcelona for May,2006 post-Transatlantic cruise. I have a problem with stairs or walking long distances so I need a very centrally located hotel. Also, we need two beds to accomodate myself and my travel companion. Would Yessica's 5 rooms be suitable, do you think? The price seems about right.

Thanks,

Dorie

Madeleine and Maurice,

I have just booked with Yessica (based on your review) for 2 nights in March. She is so happy with your good publicity for her and asked me to send you a kiss (this is the best that I can do:D ). Thanks for the good information.

Also, for others looking for rooms, we just stayed at the Continental Palacete and will be staying there again for several nights also. What a nice fine - two great places in the same wonderful location and very different from each other.

spengle - Glad to hear you booked with Yessica ... I know you won't be disappointed. I believe her place is only a block or two from Continental Palacete ... very convenient location. There's a Metro stop about a half block away. After your return ... be sure to let me know what your impressions were.

Dorie7 - The five Rooms has three steps going from the entrance atrium area to the elevator (very small one) landing. There are more centrally located hotels right on La Rambla ... this one is about a block and a half northeast of El Cortes (the big department store by Placa Catalunya). Also, I'm really not sure is Yessica has rooms with two beds ... like I posted earlier - the rooms I saw had a single, large (almost USA queen-size) bed. You might want to email her and ask.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived